Why read a 1000-page book when you can get the same thing in 89 minutes from F for Fake?

Why read a 1000-page book when you can get the same thing in 89 minutes from F for Fake?

because you enjoy a well written book?

Convince me to read this after I finish TBK.

Is it boring (in the sense that there's nothing thought provoking/profound)? Is it interesting?

Background: new to lit - I read IJ before The Brothers K, and both are really fucking good. I didn't IJ anywhere near as hard as people say.

user i hate to break it to you but despite the gaddis memes -maybe- 10 people here have actually read this book. no one is gonna get your choke.

fwiw i got a light kek out of it.

10 people? You are aiming too high here on Veeky Forums

The Recognitions is a combination of those two books. More interesting than IJ, and more challenging that both.

Really? What's harder about it? I scanned through a preview and it looked easier.

>No footnotes.
>No huge long sentences.

That alone should make it easier. The only thing harder should be the dialogue style, which i've heard makes it hard to tell who is talking sometimes.

what's harder is that gaddis has either read a million books or makes references to a million little things, from a million books that will fly right over your head. even if they do its still a good read. although the last 300 pages can be a slog.

If you need to be "convinced" to read anything you shouldn't bother with it.

cause gaddis isn't just some pomo wankery, it's firmly rooted in the modernist tradition with certain elements that are commonly associated with pomo. and unlike pomo, modernism demands more of you than being a self-indulgent suburbanite with a working knowledge of pop culture.

You have no idea what "pomo" is if you actually believe that.

This was one of the few books I had to put down nearly every page just to let some of the genius wash over me

found the pynchon fangay

have you read his other books. there all like that but in a different sense. J R is like that but with monies, a frolic is like that with legal. agape is like that with pianos.

found the 14 year-old

>his fav meme author gets BTFO
>can't think of anything to say but "THATS NOT REAL POMO. UR 14"

typical pynchon fanboy desu

Not that guy and I like Gaddis and Pynchon but the post-modern label is totally useless.

F for Fake is Welles' masterpiece.

gaddis is shite compared to pynch desu

t. hasn't read either

A lot of us gave up when over 50 major characters were introduced by page 150 of 1000. Even then it wasn't a very interest read for me personally

thats a pretty pleb complaint user

and there are only ~5 real "major" characters, the others are fluff and deliberately confusing and interchangeable

lmao u wish senpai

It really isn't that hard or anything but I suppose one does need to account for the number of high schoolers, teenagers, and undergrads here.

Pleb.

>there all like that but in a different sense.
>there
how did you read gaddis

Been thinking about reading this. Is it more challenging than Barthelme?

it's not that hard man..I'm kinda dumb. everyone here's just so fucking afraid of certain things. thinking they need to read other shit before they read something. fuck off its just a book.

read J R. it's a lot better than the recognitions. the recognitions is so heavy handed and just beats you over the head with its message. it gets tiring by the end.

I agree but I still loved it. as a first novel im quite willing to forgive its flaws (and yes there are quite a few including what you just outlined) and the prescience and force of insight are so astounding that I'm quite willing to consider it a masterpiece. and the prose (rarely discussed when gaddis is brought up here) is marvelous, though that could just be my love of eliot speaking

bump for gaddisposting