So memes aside. What are the career prospects of being a pure math major...

So memes aside. What are the career prospects of being a pure math major. Asking because I'm currentry in an applied math program and I don't really love the work being done. However I don't want to be some burger flipper either.

Other urls found in this thread:

malibubeachrecoverycenter.com/
montanaacademy.com/default.aspx
snwp.com/
oceanfrontrecovery.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Fluid dynamics expert at Starbucks

Do you even Forbes?

>Pure math degree
>No practical application
>thinking someone is going to pay you for this.

Bad news, guy.

Mathmagician.

He can be an actuary at 95k starting.

>going to college to get a job

>falling for the employment meme

I'm going to college to acquire higher knowledge because that really what I'm interested in in the end. It's just that I can't afford to do something that won't get me a job.

Literally anything will get you a job, a degree in underwater basket weaving gets you a job. Stop being such a whiny bitch and do what you love doing, the rest will fall into place.

That's actually what my parents have told me since middle school. And I do believe that in a way. Just that hearing horror stories of people not being able to find jobs or being stuck in minimum wage positions after getting their degrees kinda spooked me.

Those people were all idiots who believed college was all you needed for 900k starting and because they only care about money rather than their work, they perform shitty work therefore stay in their position and dont ever get promoted.

OP, i'm gonna be honest with you but i'm a NEET with a bit of common sense:

You can do ALL business related jobs like Statistics, Quantitative Finance, Actuary, etc.
Also you can do Computer Science Research, Scientific computing, work with other Puremathfags and pretty much do most things depending of what you did.

Most topics in "Pure Math" can be applied as well, making it "applied mathematics"
"Applied Mathematics" is just a pure math major that gives you some handholding on how and where do you apply your skills but i'm sure you're smart so you should be able to find how to apply what you learned and what job you can get as well

Thanks for reading a NEET's text

a lot of failed pure mathematicians go into high paying jobs in industry. If you are able to get a PhD in pure mathematics, you are smart enough to be an investment banker or w/e.

>What are the career prospects of being a pure math major.

Depends on you. Anything from teaching HS math on up to working for NASA or one of the big investment banks on Wall Street.

start a business goddammit, you're a math major, most people are too stupid or beta to see and make profit from opportunities, which are literally everywhere. grind a bit in a shit job and start a business

if you do want to be a wage cuck you can theoretically work in a shitload of fields, just make sure to have some internships and certificates on the side
you could be working in anything related to CS, engineering, phys, finance and statistics

>Actuarial Scientist
>Statistician
Most of the jobs will be in the financial industry I'd think.

Not that great. Especially if you don't graduate from MIT/ have stellar grades.

Take CS/EE minor. Helps a lot.

you only need a bachelors to be an investment banker...

Or Finance. Or Economy.

it's pretty easy to transition from maths to software.

Was looking into the actuary thing (my school actually offers an entire actuary major under the math department) was curious about how easy it is to get all of the certs if you just get a degree in pure maths and try to just start getting the certs yourself on your own time?

Are the requirements difficult to meet?

I'm currently a 2nd year student studying Actuarial Studies/Adv. Maths planning to major in Pure in UNSW. Over bere we are able to get the first two exemptions while in uni and we can get the third one while working (after graduating). I think it's much easier to get exemptions while studying the degree as opposed to doing a maths degree and then doing the external exams.

This is where I ended up. A math degree shows you're intelligent and hardworking even if you don't directly use much of what you learned.

Dont get me wrong but compared to doing higher mathematics software engineering feels like its eating my brain cause of how bland and easy it is. What kind of work do you do that keeps you interested?

Nothing unless you went to an elite college or are a good programmer and can signal it somehow.

Oh my work isn't interesting at all, I mostly do work on our internal apps and never use any math beyond a high school level.

You don't work for someone with a phd in math, you make people work for you.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what's wrong with flipper?

>So memes aside. What are the career prospects of being a econ+math double major?

>and hardworking
math classes really don't have you doing much EXCEPT understand the material

What kind of software dev work do you do? Maintaining or building?

>jr devs

No, not even a physician is stable unless you go into privatized and specialized field. My MD friend makes less than my plumber friend. What I'm doing is using my trust fund to start a substance abuse center where we overcharge rich clients, Ill entice prospective clients by my doctoral degree and hiring other staff with post grad degrees. Charge $40,000 a month per client.

what kind of subjects do you take? Is it just a hybrid mathematics/finance degree?

how much programming do you do?

Isn't the actuary field small in australia? I think i read that australia doesn't have that many actuaries in the scheme of things

i was thinking of just doing a math degree+ learn programming on the side, no QLD uni has your degree, and i don't want to move to NSW

how do you like UNSW?

What's to stop me from copying your idea and crushing you like the little cockroach you are?

because im not the first to do and I have a trustfund you dont
malibubeachrecoverycenter.com/
montanaacademy.com/default.aspx
snwp.com/
oceanfrontrecovery.com/

LIterally incorporating as we speak. Sorry you're too late. You can maybe be my janitor after you get a couple of years of asswiper technician under you belt.

>advice
this shit board needs better moderation

kek has spoken