Hey Veeky Forums, first time posting here, what can you guys tell me about Soren Kierkegaard's work

Hey Veeky Forums, first time posting here, what can you guys tell me about Soren Kierkegaard's work

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/D9JCwkx558o
youtube.com/watch?v=iw36V_iXR2k
youtube.com/watch?v=jkh2TXCHpNs
youtube.com/watch?v=RtlwWMJILBA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

youtu.be/D9JCwkx558o

don't watch that, The School of Life and Alain de Botton are just a meme

i went on making minimalistic music after reading his thoughts on the musical-erotic

The School of Life is shitty but its good for plebs to get a basic idea

Never read him but I was once talking to my old literature tutor about depression, and he told me to read Kierkegaard. What did he mean by that?

Needs spellcheck, otherwise great idea.

>that one essay length youtube comment that hands Button is hairless ass with a sidedish of told

> Soren Kierkegaard was a brilliant, gloomy, anxiety-ridden, often hilarious Danish 19th-century philosopher…

“Gloomy” and “anxiety-ridden” tend to emphasize the picture of Kierkegaard as the “melancholy Dane.” Simon Podmore helpfully explains that “this oft-repeated legend for Kierkegaard—‘the melancholy Dane’—represents a perception that only sees half the face, as it were, of one of modern theology and philosophy’s most insightful exponents of the triumph of faith over despair” (Kierkegaard and the Self Before God, p. xi).

We see this in Kierkegaard’s journal and notebook entries on joy, and in his treatment of joy in Christian Discourses. We see it, too, in the empathetic and encouraging tone he takes when writing to his second cousin and to his sister-in-law, and in the friendly charm of his letters to Professor Kolderup-Rosenvinge and to his best friend Emil Boesen (see Letters and Documents, passim). It is important not to read Kierkegaard entirely through the lens of the bitter ‘Corsair affair’ and his scathing ‘attack on Christendom’.

> …the author of 22 books…

Although Kierkegaard authored far more than 22 works, many of them are perhaps not lengthy enough to count as a full-fledged “book.” So if we count some of his very brief works together as a single volume (as the Princeton editions do with Eighteen Upbuilding Discourses, Without Authority, and The Moment and Late Writings), then 22 or 23 books seems about accurate. But if we count everything he wrote regardless of length or completeness, the tally comes to at least 40—and that is not even counting his many letters and his voluminous journals and notebooks.

> …of which three [Either/Or, Fear and Trembling, and The Sickness Unto Death] continue to make his name.

It is easy to understand why Either/Or, Fear and Trembling, and The Sickness Unto Death should be singled out. It is not clear, however, why Philosophical Fragments, The Concept of Anxiety, Concluding Unscientific Postscript, and Two Ages: A Literary Review should not be.

(It goes on)

If you're not religious don't bother. His works ultimately appeal to the existence of a God.

Agreed, I used to think maybe it was good that people were becoming more interested in philosophy and literature, but it is the buzzfeed grade of lit and philo.

Well, just because he is a theist doesn't make his work any less valuable.

No it doesn't. I just personally found his writing lacking as it became a more central part to his idea of life. I should have made it more clear that it was my personal opinion in the previous post.

Then why do atheists beat their shriveled dicks to him all day?

The only thing he WORKIN' is that 'do

*snaps fingers*

I can only imagine the sad meme machine who made this

a lot of people hate 'pop' philosophy/physics/chem/etc., but i don't see why. nobody will be enticed to discuss the hegelian dialectic without knowing wtf hegel is getting on with; you gotta start somewhere. if the basic, top of the surface level philo material will inspire even 1 person to pursue further education in the matter, it's ok by my books

I think it is phenomenal. His ideas about despair and angst have both challenged and uplifted me. People do him a great disservice labeling him some melancholic figure, there is much joy and hope in his work
This video is awfully pedestrian and shows incredibly shallow understanding, don't bother

>he attributes the hegelian dialectic to hegel
>endorses pop philosophy
no coincidence here folks

Very unhelpful thread desu~

where should I start with him?

Fichte, right? Then Hegel just developed it informally into the progressive unfolding toward the absloute spirit? I'm trying to learn philosophy without reading any. Is it going as poorly as I think.

Why are they sad? I laugh whenever I see it

The Concept of Irony.

Check coursera. There is a based course for free about him given by Jon Stewart. It's pretty good.

why not read it? youve probably heard enough to figure out what theyre getting at in general, which can be half the battle sometimes.

He meant that you needed God

In Vino Veritas. It's short and /r9k/-tier.

>every atheist that comments is smarter than kierkegaard: the video

youtube.com/watch?v=iw36V_iXR2k
youtube.com/watch?v=jkh2TXCHpNs
youtube.com/watch?v=RtlwWMJILBA

This videos are much better for the bare-bones Kierkegaard.

Kierkegaard is what it would be like if Kanye were a white academic.

fuck off

lmfao oh my god that doesn't disqualify the worth of his writings at all...and "ultimately" disregards the interesting ideas that build up to that

Found the comment and the subsequent argument School of Life tried to make.

lmao

All meme's are sad at their core

Fear and Trembling

>being this anti-intellectual

>there is much joy and hope in his work

You're like the guy who says King Lear is ultimately a story of hope lol

This guy totally misses the religious dimension.
He thinks the leap of faith is kierk telling us to "just do it."

Never understood this attitude, baka athiests.
Somebody could come along like "here is truth" and they'd be like "nah I'm not into that stuff."
Like just give it a shot.

I say, if you're not religious, you should especially bother. Kierkegaard is my sole savior from the dogmatic devotion to positivism and absolute banality of naturalistic pantheism that hung over my life, and the day I got over my automatic dismissal of his theistic writings marks an important turning point in my self-development.

For the sake of feigning depth and intellect.Same reason why these neo collective atheists who happens to be super progressive,beat their shriveled dicks to pic related.

He over intellectualizes the shit out of what it means to commit to a way of existing, in order to work you through every single one of the tacit and explicit reasons you have running around in your head for why you shouldn't commit to a certain way of living and stay committed. After he's led you through every hoop imaginable, he shows you that life, genuine life, isn't about finding the perfect way to live through constant intellectual self doubt and self questioning. Life, and authentic living, is about making a "leap" into a set of positive values, making a self-defining commitment, and sticking with it.

These are very good,you're right.I might retry reading Die Krankheit zum Tode

No.

But School of Life is blatantly incorrect in places in their portrayals of philosophers. Look elsewhere for pop-phil.

while i do agree on the quality of tsol i haven't watched enough of it to have examples of this
mind telling me which videos contain glaring mistakes, and not just heavyhanded simplifications

Why would anyone bother with that when you have normal and stanford wiki, as well as YouTube lectures about all of the philosophers school of life talks about

That you should read him.

The crux of his work ultimately comes to a belief in God. That doesn't delegitimize the questions he has but it does take away from the solution if you're not also willing to entertain a spiritualistic perspective on life.

Read it if you want but just know he will come back to Jesus in the core of his belief.

Because he's such a qt