Science is all about critical thinking and observation!

>Science is all about critical thinking and observation!
>99% memorization
Worst meme I ever fell for.

Then don't go into Bio/Chem, pleb

>tfw pharmacy school
Just kill me

shoulda stuck with Physics

Yeah and be surrounded by autists for 4 years just to enter a saturated field.
STEM is a fucking meme

>saturated field
Physics is not even a field of industry.

At this point, it feels like it's only programmers demand where different jobs may require different babby skills beyond programming, which require different backgrounds.

You can't say this on Veeky Forums, but doing math or engineering isn't the best route for "critical thinking" either. If you read a book a month, you're critical thinking skills will be beyond that of any STEM drone. However, the sit-in's and colloquia in Philosophy and Literature are saturated with lefties distant from the real world, so that the critical thinking conclusions always just end up echoing the progressive trends.

tl;dr, if you want smarts, read books from authors of opposing views on social issues and learn programming. The rest will come by itself.

>School for people who want to be doctors but aren't smart enough to be MDs.
enjoy your unemployment bud

When people say field they mean the jobs related to the major/concentration.
Bio, Chem and physics majors are absolutely fucked because there simply aren't any jobs that you can get with a BS anymore.
So the only choice is to either do professional school (thats what I went for) or go get a masters and PhD.
By the time you're done with postdoc work you're at best an adjunct, making like 40k and just barely affording rent and paying off interest on your >100k loan.
If you do professional school like med, pharm or patent law you're looking at 4 years of stress trying to maximize your grades and study for 5+ hour long exams that test you on 6 subjects at once, and then wasting money flying around the country if you're lucky enough to get interviews.
And if you go that route you're going to be at least 150k in debt (not including compounding interest) so if you even have 50k of undergrad debt you most likely won't be getting federal loans. Meaning you're looking at private loans with 9%+ interest rates.
So if you do med school
4 years undergrad + 4 years med school + at least 3 years residency
And the interest on your loans compounds duing med school and residency (where you're making 30k a year for a 90 hour work week)
and this is assuming you're a perfect student who was able to get in your first try and without a gap year.
And I haven't even mentioned being around absolute autists during undergrad and grad. If you have even an inkling of normalcy you won't be able to stomach being around retards talking about how they want to be dermatologists or some other unrealistic specialty all day.
Also have fun dealing with shitty weeder classes like orgo 2 where you're spending your 20's memorizing hexagons and arrows.

I'm technically an applied biochemist that you have to call doctor by law.
Still better than bio and chem fags, and I found that if you actually know your shit (as in reading the fucking textbook rather than relying on flashcards and other retarded ways of studying) and intern during pharm school you'll easily make 100k+.
Even if medicine completely dies in the US places like Dubai will glady suck your cock to go work there.

I have a friend who is premeditated and nailing straight As by just memorizing shit one semester and forgetting it the next. When people ask him actually chem/bio related questions out of class he never knows the answers. Premed/med school is a fucking meme.

He's completely fucked for the MCAT then

>implying he won't just use a MCAT flash study guide like any normal person

lol he just registered for a princeton review course where they'll teach him shit to memorize as well. The whole thing is a fucking joke.

>Biomedical sciences
>Critical thinking and observation at an undergrad level

Holy kek

Are you barely realizing that academia isn't full of smart people but instead people who knew how to play the game?

No shit, because you're an undergrad babby so you have to learn the rules and components of the system before you can tweak the variables. If a bachelor's degree taught you how to be a critical thinker you could become a scientist right after graduating.

Fucking retard.

Nigga I had a 2.75 GPA and got in the 85th percentile by downloading a study guide and cramming for 3 months. The MCAT is a joke.

m8 you can cram the MCAT if you have a half decent memory

That's why I'm gonna gtfo of STEM after undergrad. In STEM unless you get your PhD and are lucky enough to conduct your own research you just end up being a lab rat for someone else. Going into Public Health, there are always gonna be fat/starving people somewhere who keep me in a job. Get lucky and maybe wind up with a cushy government job.

And you still didn't get into med school I'm guessing.
3 months isn't a joke.
I scored in the 95th percentile on my PCAT but that grade has actual merit because of my 3.5
GPA.
Professional schools don't give a fuck about you if you're not going to pass their classes user

People who go to these overpriced crash courses need to just give up.
You can't expect to have someone to teach and discipline you your whole life.

>implying saudi arabia isn't becoming a pile of shit economy with light speed

if you have followed in their economy you would know they uck as and don't have a plan b substitute their oil gainz in any way

>implying I have a degree in science and not in a random humanity

>not doing applied math

i know that feel all too well, but it's worth the pain imo
i think the beauty of chemistry and geology is not able to be fully appreciated unless you have a huge knowledge base

I'm studying physics and i'd say it's about 70% memorization. which is sad as fuck

Sorry to hear about your major in life sciences OP.

>Implying chem faggots don't spend 4 years memorizing shapes and arrows

There's a difference between active memorization and memorizing as a side effect of use and persistence. I've never memorized on purpose in physics and math, only in Chem. In physics and math if you're worried about the test, then you're worried about being able to solve problems (do proffs), not usually because you can't remember a certain formula, but in fact because you can't think of the correct approach. Indeed, this may be because you did not "memorize" enough, but really that means you didn't practice enough. Memorization for memorization's sake never cut it for me personally. Only memorization as a side-effect.

How do you increase memory? Or is it something that can't be changed. My generalized anxiety makes it so I have the memory capacity of an Alzheimer patient

cognitivefun dot com

More like school for chemists who want to make better money. I hate biology but pharm is more secure than a PhD in chemistry.

engineering brainlet detected

Daily remindder that Biology is not a science.