So I really want to try my hand at making some kind of Asian dish, be it Japanese or Thai, Chinese or Vietnamese

So I really want to try my hand at making some kind of Asian dish, be it Japanese or Thai, Chinese or Vietnamese.

My problem, however, is that I have little to no experience cooking, have limited equipment to cook with (small apartment kitchen), I'm on a tight budget, and I only have access to stores like Walmart and Ingles.

What would be a good recipe to start with? I love curries, and rice and noodle dishes.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7PJMq4c3HrY
youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog/videos
thewoksoflife.com/chinese-ingredients-glossary/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I only have access to stores like Walmart and Ingles.

You're posting on the internet, therefore you have access to any ingredient from anywhere via mail-order.

Curries are great but they tend to require many ingredients that you won't find at a wal-mart so that might be an issue for you. Japanese style curry would be a good choice since that requires only basic ingredients + the roux blocks, plus it's simple as fuck to prepare.

Stir fry any vegetable with garlic and ginger

Wa la

Follow the instructions on the back of the curry paste jar

me too op. this one is easy fast and great. thai basil chicken

youtube.com/watch?v=7PJMq4c3HrY

youtube.com/user/cookingwithdog/videos

>Rice should be short grain unless otherwise specified
>La Choy anything should never be used
>If making a chicken dish, use thigh meat and NOT white meat or it will be gross
>Do not substitute any ingredients you've never used before

Follow those rules and follow the recipe and it'll be fine

Javanese curry is easy as shit.

Buy pic related. Make with your choice of meat plus potatoes and carrots. Serve over rice.

Tonights dinner.

golden curry is a meme
it's almost tasteless. you'd do better with a roux and self chosen spices

You're not going to be able to prepare most Asian/SE Asain dishes without the proper ingredients. Start here: thewoksoflife.com/chinese-ingredients-glossary/ Basics are: light soy sauce (like Kikkoman), dark soy sauce, shaoxing wine, fish sauce, oyster sauce, hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil. Several of those you'll be able to find at "the Walmart," and you can make substitutes for many ingredients as well e.g. kekap manis is simply light soy sauce & brown or Palm sugar. You should be aware that ingredients very by country and region, e.g. you can't make most Japanese dishes without dashi, sake & mirin, and Thai soy sauce & fish sauce is different than the others, so you should either find an Asian grocer and go to town gathering the staples or hit up the Internet, the latter of which will be much more expensive. Your best bet is to pick a region and explore dishes that can be tailored to what you have access to; for example, you can half ass most soups with light soy sauce, fish sauce, rice vinegar & sesame oil, but you're not going to be able to make mapo dofu. Good luck, Asian cuisine is fascinating in its variety as well as tasty af and ezpz w the proper ingredients.

>golden curry is tasteless

This.

You should look for an ethnic grocery store (preferably run by someone from India or some shit) and ask for their curry selection. It'll blow your mind.

>Japanese curry
>tasteless
Pick one. Especially if you use even a little bit of cooking knowledge instead of blindly following the recipe on the back. The recipe on the back has you dumping raw meat into water like you're cooking British food.

It just has a different taste than Indian or Thai. Really the only thing the three countries curry's have in common is that they are eaten with rice. They all taste good and have different flavor profiles.

>make chicken
>make rice
>add store bought teriyaki sauce and green onions

wa la

>The recipe on the back has you dumping raw meat into water like you're cooking British food.

No shit. You know Japanese curry originated from the British Navy's recipe for cooking aboard ship, right?

Which has nothing to do with the fact that the only people in Japan that cook it that way are high school girls with very little cooking experience

You're correct, those two facts are indeed totally unrelated.

I wasn't replying to anyone talking about high school girls with limited cooking experience.

I was pointing out that the recipe literally is British. It's not "like" you're cooking British food. You literally ARE cooking British food.

If you like Thai style curries, go to an asian market and buy the pictured brand curry. You just have to add coconut milk and your ingredients. Taste pretty close to restaurant quality. Keep in mind when you first put the curry in the coconut milk it will taste very spicey, this will mellow out when cooking.

Mae-ploy brand is also good, but much larger. I prefer the single use cans pictured, since my fridge is always packed.

>Keep in mind when you first put the curry in the coconut milk

You're doing it wrong.

You start out by putting coconut cream in a pan. You heat it until it "cracks". (the emulsification breaks and the oil separates). You then fry the paste in that oil. Once it's fried, then you add the coconut milk to the dish.

You don't add the paste to the coconut milk. You fry the paste first, then you add the coco to the paste.

And yeah, that brand is great. Except for the green curry. Green curry sucks when it's canned because it's supposed to be made with fresh green chilies. The other curry pastes use dried red chilies and those handle the canning process much better.

>good curry
>japanese quisine

Pick one

*cuisine

But seriously. Japanese are not ones for strong, spicy food.

I want to know how to make this but I don't know what this is called or what meat it is