So many anons have unquestioning blind faith in Bloom

>So many anons have unquestioning blind faith in Bloom

Don't tell me you fell for this pleb meme.

No but you did, lurk moar or fuck off

newfags

Anyone who doesn't force themselves to agree with everything Bloom writes is trash

unironically this desu senpai

Daily reminder that Shakespeare INVENTED the human

STEMfags BTFO

I didn't fall for him, as a meme, but I don't search for excuses not to read Shakespeare either.

Veeky Forums needs a bloom, as a meme, whether you like him or not.

Explain to me what is wrong with him. What are his flaws?

he invented shakespeare inventing the human

Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Knight.

That's a picture of Janet Yellen OP.

>Update
Bloomposting surely marks an user as a true faggot, unable to formulate opinions and stances of their own.

In particular the one about Harry Potter is cringe inducing. Another user CTRL-F'd all seven PDFs he had of the series and found the phrase 'stretch your legs' maybe twice, and never in the first book, directly refuting Bloom's shit critique.

Potter has many flaws. Bloom's analysis and critique are not an effective way to convey them.

And Bloom hated on DFW, likely without even reading his work. What a pretentious fuckwad.

i don't even care to critique bloom, the same way i don't care to critique freud.

they're far too fascinating to bother with "I disagree" or "I agree."

i'd rather just dance around in their light

>being THIS much of a faggot

kys senpai

Was this an actual line in the movie? That sounds so corny.

Not Op, but Bloom is just inadequate as a literary critic. He's a meme because he's one of the few people who advocates for the classics instead of gushing over flavor of the month shit, which is cool, but his criticism itself is largely arbitrary and devoid of any genuine insight.

Who will substitute him upon his inevitable, soon-to-come, death?

>_>

Why does he look so miserable?

>but his criticism itself is largely arbitrary and devoid of any genuine insight

kind of like this post

it's a common look for overweight misanthropes. basically he looks like he's taking a huge shit because that was the whole point of his career.

that post is fine. yours isn't.

says you

yes

It is

He didn't mean that the phrase about stretching legs happening over and over again, he meant that cliches of that sort happened with extreme regularity.

>And Bloom hated on DFW, likely without even reading his work. What a pretentious fuckwad.
>likely without
>likely
Now you have just shown your irrational hatred of Bloom.

kind of like how you show your irrational dicksucking of Bloom

first day on Veeky Forums, eh?

saged

Hopefully his successor to the Yale jumamities chair

why the fuck is bloom so floppy? he looks like he's made of flubber

>he didn't mean that phrase about stretching his legs

Says who? I swear to god you Bloom cucks will say anything to protect your fleshy god. Pathetic tbqh desu ne

>listening to the bilingual pleb that is Bloom while a demigod like Carpeaux exists

amerifats are destined to be plebs for all eternity

Bloom is pretty insightful on the classics, but he doesn't know shit about the 20th century and beyond at all.

The most "modern" writers that he has ANYTHING insightful to say about are Crane and Stevens.

What am I supposed to do with Bloom? What did he write, what do I read?

He spurted a lot of jism from his micropenis about Shakespeare, Emerson and the Romantics. If you don't like those writers, you're SOL.

whenever I read his criticism I find a lot of it is good, but the whole feels wrong. a continual slight wrong emphasis? the best of literary criticism, while it is full of faults, points both at the poem and beyond it—works by two fixed lights. Bloom is very clever, but more about poetry than about the object of poetry. one often wonders how Bloom can know a poet so well and yet not really see them

but I like that he resisted Eliot's influence in the academies. I like Eliot—the man and the poetry. But his criticism, which has been taken far more seriously than it ought to have been, has done enormous damage to the study of English poetry. I wouldn't hold up Stevens against Eliot, but the enemy of my enemy &c.

I don't even like Bloom.

It's in the quote itself. It's somewhat ambiguously phrased which is where the confusion comes from .

that's so surprising and pathetic that the English choose to read critics who write in English rather than one who writes in Portuguese

doesn't everybody know how easy it is to learn English French Spanish Portuguese German Russian Italian Latin Greek and Hebrew? that's just the essentials for those who are too lazy/racist to learn Mandarin Arabic Japanese Hindi Korean etc.

You sound like you have a massive inferiority complex.

But you're right. Bloom can't into simple Romance languages, yet people actually believe he could read 1000 pages in an hour, and remember most of it. Pure bullshit.

I feel sorry that the best work about literature isn't avaiable for you
Stay buttmad

no

I do think it's important to learn other languages. But you can't expect English speakers to know Portuguese. It's much more important to know French, Latin and Greek—and maybe German. One could spend his whole life in those literatures and never exhaust the wealth of things to be read—one could even spend his whole life in English literature alone.

It's far more important for a man to know is own literature than another country's. A man living in England who knows Russian literature intimately but does not know Johnson is an embarrassment to his people and to himself.

>It's far more important for a man to know is own literature than another country's. A man living in England who knows Russian literature intimately but does not know Johnson is an embarrassment to his people and to himself.

I doubt you can provide an objective argument on why this should be the case, since nationalism, by itself, is more poison than cure

>being a buttblasted south american

i pity you senpai. one little island off the coast of europe has done more for world literature than your entire continent.

daily reminder that STEMfag LW agonized over exactly this question and its not even remotely restricted to Bloom

claims like that only show how little you care, and know, about literature
also I probably know more about english literature than you, so figures...

still waiting for a decent response for this

sorry meant for

peruANO

peruANO

peruANO

he speaks english yiddish and hebrew fluently
he can read german and french fluently (though cannot converse in them apparently)
he studied latin and greek for four years

he probably has huge amounts of core literay languages

where did this meme originate that he speaks 1/2 languages?

t. not a fan of bloom, but its literally ridiculous to call bloom a pleb.

-----

my answer to the question: bloom is as far from pleb as one can be, but anyone who blindly follows his opinions is as close to pleb as one can be.

>yiddish and hebrew
are these relevant to literature in any form?

>he can read german and french fluently (though cannot converse in them apparently)
oh boy... how the fuck he can read FLUENTLY and not be able to speak the thong?

>he studied latin and greek for four years
this is patrician tho

im a much stronger reader in certain foreign languages than as a speaker. arguably im a better reader/writer in english than a speaker as well.

>oh boy... how the fuck he can read FLUENTLY and not be able to speak the thong? It's not an uncommon thing for people to learn a language just to read books. It saves a hell of a lot of time choosing to only get good at 1/4 of what it takes to really know a language.

>are these relevant to literature in any form?
user, what is the bible? What are the extensive Jewish theological writings? He probably either learned Hebrew because he is a Gnostic or he became one because of the texts he encountered because of his knowledge od Hebrew.

>are these relevant to literature in any form?
Wow you're a retard. The most popular religious text in the world is written in Hebrew, and there's a great tradition of Yiddish poetry that would be forgotten if it weren't for the efforts of the few Yiddish speakers left to preserve it.

>he can read german and french fluently (though cannot converse in them apparently)
It's questionable if he can even read them fluently. When pressed about it, he dodges questioning, and can't perform, unless he chooses what to translate.

>he studied latin and greek for four years
This takes the cake on how mentally slow he really is. He might be proficient, but is inadequate for either for academic reading.

Hebrew is fine, but barely relevant in the modern world.

>Yiddish poetry

No big loss.

>he can read german and french fluently
Can he really ? If his Western Canon is anything to go by he doesn't seem to know much about German or French lit.

see

the brain is a funky thing -- the area which converses is very different from that which reads.

i can read kafka and goethe in the original at 60% the speed of my native language, requiring a dictionary maybe twice a page; i cant converse in the language.

it is no accident i can read and not speak. i read a textbook designed *specifically* for reading german, nothing else. and since then have only read german lit, nothing else with it (except a couple /int/deutsch/ threads).

i have literally no interest going to germany or talking to germans. i have done the same with italian. planning to do so with french. it takes a fraction of the time compared with languages i have learnt to converse in.

i can definitely believe bloom has done the same. sorry for the blog.

>claims like that only show how little you care, and know, about literature

wasn't me who posted it, bud

>nationalism, by itself, is more poison than cure
you want me to refute this? lol

if you don't love your country I can't convince you that it will advance your interests to do so. if I had that must time to waste I'd waste it trying to convert the anti-natalists