Why do people freak out over eating cats and dogs but are okay with eating other animals...

Why do people freak out over eating cats and dogs but are okay with eating other animals? Cats and dogs certainly aren't smarter than some of the things we slaughter, so why do they get special treatment?

It's a cultural thing. For instance, in some parts of Asia, eating rabbit is viewed in a similar way to how we view eating dog meat.

Also, it's not a "fixed" view. After WW2 in many European countries eating cats was relatively common; many developed also specific techniques to cook it in various different ways.

It also has something to do with the ability to mass produce meat, and the amount of meat per animal that you get. Pigs are optimal for it, cats and dogs not so much.

>oh look, it's this thread again

>why do women fuck hot men who act like creeps but are disgusted by ugly men acting the same

>so why do they get special treatment?
People tend to segregate things into "companion or working animals" and "livestock for food"

Animals that performed a useful service (like, say, cats killing mice and rats) resulted in eating them being a cultural taboo.

And generally speaking, predatory land animals taste bad. That's because the animals themselves have scent glands they use to mark their territory and/or communicate with others of their kind. Cats and dogs don't taste very good. People only eat them out of desperation (like during a war siege, famine, etc.) or if they assign some kind of superstitious belief to them (like dogs in parts of Asia)

>Hey kid, ever sucked a curly dick before?
>Dunno, you ever sucked a spiky one?

>because cows/chickens/pigs/fish aren't known for useful service

They do plenty of useful things for humans.

>They do plenty of useful things for humans.
Yeah, and the primary thing is being fucking tasty

cats, dogs, rabbits, and horses are tasty too.

>Cats and dogs certainly aren't smarter than some of the things we slaughter,
Cows are really dumb.

I don't know. They manage to find their way around without GPS. A lot of humans can't do that anymore.

Cows always graze facing magnetic north.

All because an animal won't fetch you a newspaper or jump through hoops, it doesn't mean it's dumb.

cats and dogs taste like shit
>inb4 muh special breed of dog
it's a carnivore, it's gonna taste like shit

>cats and dogs taste like shit

because you're eating cats and dogs that were pets. Cats and dogs that were bred to be food taste good because they were fed and bred to be eaten. Pet rabbits taste horrible, but rabbits raised as food taste good!

Early man domesticated wolves in order to help hunt and protect our homes. We would not be here today without the help of dogs.

Not sure what cats did

Killed pests like mice and rats that would otherwise spread disease or eat your crops.

>Cats and dogs certainly aren't smarter than some of the things we slaughter

With the exception of Pigs, they are though. Pigs are the only animal we slaughter that could be considered fairly intelligent

also the calorie/food to effort ratio on these animals are extremely low and they don't taste good. They aren't efficient as foodstuffs and aren't palatable due to active life styles.

We don't eat them because they aren't good to eat and you can't raise them enmasse to eat well. Cultures that DO eat them generally do because 1. Ritual or Religious reasons, 2. A lack of other options, 3. Cultural tradition stemming from the first two. For instance, in Mesoamerica, they didn't have a lot of protien dense animals around, so Dogs were on the limited menu as mostly a ceremonial/religious meal. They still eat them in some asian countries today, but that is because those regions are poor, or because spooky chingchong medicine bullshit

enabled civilization.

dogs.. no but cats? hell yeah man love me sum cat. mmmm mmmm nothing beats the taste of a good pussy on a cold night, warms you right up.

Excuse me, brother cat - I know that it is a long shot, but can you spare any oats? I am very young and have been unable to obtain but a handful. I am so very hungry, brother.

Eating a dog is like eating a person. You shouldn't eat animals you have sex with.

Fruit flies can detect magnetic north and they're dumb as fuck

I want to try horse meat but it's all but banned here in the US

Seems wasteful to me

tastes like iron-y, not very good beef desu, you're not missing much

Horses are stringy after being worked their whole life.

Cats and dogs are not tasty, the seasoning is.

Normal God-fearing Americans eat rabbit, but there's not a lot of meat or nutritional value.

My mom just brought home a literal copy of that cat. Same size, same eyes, same fur, same everything. A minute later I see this thread.

Damn.

Tradition mostly. It's way more efficient to raise domesticated herbivore/omnivores. I can only think of gator as an obligate carnivore we raise, and then it's primarily for their hides. It's not like we don't eat predators ever, but you have to hunt them so it's once in a blue moon. So it seems "weird"

Dog also tastes like shit

its shit

There is German dish that was developed exclusively to make the meat from old brewery draft horses palatable - Rhineland Sour Roast. The meat is marinated in a vinegar marinade for at least 5 days, up to 14 days.

Brother, may I have some oats?

WTF WHY DO FOREIGNERS EAT WISE AND INTELLIGENT COWS?!??!? DISGUSTING!

'Dog tastes like shit"

t. someone who never tried dog meat

Heard once that dog is so tough koreans used to beat them alive in sacks to soften the meat. So yeah, there's a two-in-one reason not to eat dog.

I eat fresh bat-beaten dogs and foie gras every morning

Muslims pray facing Mecca and they're not intelligent, so what's your point?

Hello quads

cows are more intelligent then muslims

Think of the cows guys

Cutest pic and name ever

Im american and desu i see nothing wrong with eating dog and cat

I would rather eat pork beef or chicken any day man

maybe cat tastes great, I wouldn't know

Because fuck you, thats why.

The West is the best, and we love cats and dogs as our companions so that is good and right.

Go move to guangzhou if you don't like it.

Dog tastes like shit. I ate it in Korea. It's not flavorful, nor does it have a good texture.

Hurr durr do it cause we do never question why we do thinking bad hurr durr

>being this mad over bait

I hate vegans.

what do those animals do for us? maybe cows give us milk and leather and pull ploughs for third worlders, but the others?

Because cats are cute. I wouldn't eat women either even though pigs are smarter than them.

Pigs are the garbage disposals of the farm world. You feed them whatever garbage you have lying around and they get rid of it for you. Specially trained pigs are used to locate truffles.

chickens control pests in and around farms. They eat bugs as well as rodents. You might not know that if you haven't been around chickens but they go after mice like an addict to drugs. It's crazy. They also break up rabbit fights (see video on youtube).

Fish have various uses. They control insects that have aquatic larvae (mosquitoes, for example). They can control excess plant growth in ponds/lakes. And then you have aquaculture. For example, it's common to raise chickens and tiliapia fish together. The chicken cages sit above the water and the tilapia eat the chicken shit that falls through the cage floor.

>killing mice and rats
wish my cat did this instead of dragging live ones into the house

>chickens eat rodents and break up rabbit fights

The cat will kill and eat them quickly enough if you stop feeding it

This. I have an outdoor cat that hangs around my workshop. I do feed her, but frankly it's not all that much. She's a veritable killing machine. Nearly every day when I walk into work in the morning I find the mostly-eaten carcass of something in the hallway. She kills mice, rats, rabbits, birds, you name it. Eats everything except the hind feet, tail, and one of the internal organs (I think it's the large intestine).

that raction pic had me laffin. but it's true, chickens are mindless machines that will just jump right into random fights and fuck shit up

Seriously. Go watch the videos on youtube.

>8462937
gib link already. especially on the rabbit one, i haven't seen that before

Anyone going to that dogfestival in China? I wanna go there lol

I like this too. I'll use it in next week's "let's not eat meat, let's suck on broccoli stems" thread.

Because we live in a capitalist, class society. Cat and dog are part of the bourgeoisie class, and enjoy all the benefits of a leisurely life, including no work, free food, toys, playing, etc.

While pig, cow, horse, etc. are the proletariat, the working class. A good example of this is that once a horse breaks a leg, he is shot because he is useless now. Compare it to the hundreds and thousands people spend on the healthcare of their cats and dogs. It's not unusual to see a dog without a leg.

>It's not unusual to see a dog without a leg

who the fuck are you people?

>implying horses are not upper class
where i'm from, only the rich of my friends own horses. always upper class girls that own and ride them as a sign of prestige. still loving and caring people, though

>he doesn't own guard dogs
how is living a sheltered life like?

>he needs guard dogs
what's it like living in the 3rd world

>he isn't part of the rich white upper class in a rather poor country
man, it's good to be white and live like a king. ever heard of south africa? sure, i can't go out at night without at least two armed bodyguards, but it's oh so great to have a nice, big estate with half a docent of servants

i'm poor and i can go anywhere anytime, alone and wasted, any part of town, it doesn't matter

i don't even need to lock my door at home

east europe?