Every time i make a post about reading to learn or better myself I get hit with criticism and ridicule...

Every time i make a post about reading to learn or better myself I get hit with criticism and ridicule. What the hell is wrong with this board

Hate is another form of love.

Shit people, that's all.
Ask your questions and I'll help if I can user.

This place is one of the last bastions of pure aesthetic appreciation. Art certainly has utilitarian functions, but too much of the world tries to reduce it wholly to those functions, thereby socially devaluing what it essentially is. There need to be groups of people who take up arms against this leveling sea. If you have questions framed in a way that implies you see literature as a tool, or a means, expect to be leveled yourself. We can't let functionalist reductionism gain to sturdy a footing, especially during such perilous times for the medium, and for art in general.

Go to reddit. They love to spoonfeed.

Are you posting just to blather on about self improvement? Because nobody wants to hear that. Just get your shit done, whatever it is.

Also this.

this thread isn't literature related so, what is wrong with you?

great post lad, proud of you

Thats a part of it nigger

You're probably asking the wrong kinds of questions.

Nobody here appreciates aesthetics worth dick though.

The fact that you pluralised the word aesthetic makes me think you don't understand what that other user was talking about. Aesthetic appreciation means something very specific, is not to be pluralised and is not subject to your criticism unless you think the idea of aesthetic appreciation itself isn't worth dick.

what are you trying to learn about? this is Veeky Forums or maybe /shelves/, but certainly not /books/

Go back to your safe space/tumblr

That's because you are shit, learn from the insults and ridicule.

Underrated

I agree with this but for a different reason. There will always be people here that tell you to fuck off or kill yourself and so on, and if you can't deal with it and see past them, then Reddit simply might be a better place for you.

Being mean on the internet is the only time the pretentious neckbeards on here truly feel alive. Don't be angry at them and don't be scared. Feel pity and forgive them.

While I agree with the first part, I feel like this is the wrong approach. People will always be, and you're never going to change that. So let it be and don't make too much out of it, neither feel anger nor pity; simply accept that they are.

So is this really an argument here on Veeky Forums? That you cant learn from a medium thats viewed as art? That self improvement is to be shunned? This board is the epitome of dunning kruger. Fucking degenerates here are worse than /mu/

>self improvement
lol, go back to the mall

You completely misunderstood everything user said. He even explicit states "Art certainly has utilitarian functions". You don't know how to read a basic Veeky Forums post with any comprehension, you are what is wrong with Veeky Forums, not the user you replied to.

I read for fun.