ITT: non-literature that would have been fundamental classics or nobel price winners if they had been made as books...

ITT: non-literature that would have been fundamental classics or nobel price winners if they had been made as books with good prose.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NJ-xcgBL1mY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

deus ex would be mediocre at best

>tfw all I want to do is write a cheesy Deus Ex style cyberpunk mystery novel
>not enough of a fucking madman to come up with all the insane terminology

Jacking into the cyberdock just isn't my specialty

>nobel price
>price

Haha user I don't think you'll ever live that one down.

The predictions alone would make it a hit(predicted 9/11, predicted the afghan war, predicted the governments way to combat terror, NSA, DHS, fearmongering. pretty impressive if you remember how much of an afterthought terror was at the time). the heartfelt scenes like "what a shame" and "A bomb" makes it high lit

great american novel: the game

>a bomb

True art. JC's complete lack of care about the situation representing the way in which the hopelessness of his situation has dulled his reactions to even the most extreme of circumstances.

One of those fantasy stories that would still be acceptable to discuss on Veeky Forums without feeling bad.

has there been any game that tackles debt like this?

Too bad these are videogames and therefore unacceptable to discuss on Veeky Forums.

That's a funny looking Shin Megami Tensei game

i don't know, man. haven't seen anything with the same quality of writing either. the two divers' story from the last act is just fucking perfect.

SMT games would probably serve best as choose your own adventure books where all three endings lead to the same page with a picture of a middle finger pointed at the reader

drakengard. If you somehow managed to invoke that mood with a book.

but seriously

nobel prize is swedish

are you memeing?

Yes sorry :)

Exactly, which is why SMT is the only lit approved series of games (not including King of Dragon Pass)

playing deus ex right now for the first
actually a lot of fun didnt think I'd still enjoy a game from that era/10

outta my way peasants

No game has matched Deus Ex in the "your choices have consequences" department.
I first played it in my early teens, it made me hopeful for a future of gaming that never arrived.

I still think this is out generation's Invisible Man.

Did you watch the Ross's Dungeon episode?

this could be a decent novel if the writing would be on bachelor's route level of quality. haruspex and changeling routes are rushed turds.

i alwas tought the universe of this one will make a great literature experience, its so crazy anarchist and awsome.

genre novel coming through

Really nice.

>disregarding whole mediums

If these games were a book, they would be one of the numberless sci-fi/fantasy trash paperbacks that grace the shelves of Barnes & Noble. As narrative video games they are on top of their genre, but in the end the actual "prose", style, and stories have been done to death for over 200 years.

Where video games excel is when they forget about emulating other mediums and provide a lush and visual world built through beautiful art and atmosphere that you can explore, hence the excellence of Myst in its time, the infinity engine games including torment, the Souls games, and sandbox games like Crusader Kings 2. They provide experiences of exploration and interactivity that cannot be provided by a book or movie, hence their excellence within the genre.

But if you think any of the books in this thread could stand on their own as pure narrative and prose, to say nothing of getting a major literary award, you are out of your mind.

This, though he'd have to out-Burroughs Burroughs and tear down writing until only its purest, most immediate form remains - actually managing to do what he did with film-making in literature is one of my great hopes.

"Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception."

From the begginning of Metaphors on Vision

I think I read the VA was instructed to be as deadpan as possible to leave it to the player to decide the emotion behind each line.
It didn't always work out but if this is the case there was at least some good intention behind it.

DE remains one of my favourite games of all time.

Trying too hard m8

I've just watched the beginning of dog man star
this guy is very good I had no idea

What this guy said, basically Torment wouldn't stand out as a novel. As much as I love the game and (sometimes) its medium, it is only considered superb because videogames are generally ill suited for literary depth, yet Torment somehow manages to deliver an experience that's far above the average. In the same way, a choose your own adventure book will never be as exhilarating as Torment because videogames are able to tackle interactivity a lot better than books.

Btw, I honestly believe the Souls games (plus Bloodborne, damn, especially Bloodborne) are the best example of how to explore the unique possibilities of a medium - action, systems and storytelling interlocking in a cohesive way

trying too hard.

Not even meming. I dont think itd be a great american novel or a nobel winner or anything but I definitely see some kind of literary merit in this game. Maybe if it was written by the same pynchon that wrote gravity's rainbow or inherent vice. Theres some credence to the metaphor of robbing banks=making films. It kinda reminds me, at the risk of triggering Veeky Forums's autists, of moby dick.

if you think myst is a powerful example of video game storytelling you're so out of touch that everything else you said has no meaning

It's actually a very neutered version of the Incal, a comic by Moebius (who helped on the visual design of Fifth Element) and Jodorowsky (that crazy chilean dude who made those movies).

The Incal itself is a turning down the crazy of Jodo's script for Dune, which seemed to be legit batshit. There's a documentary about it called Jodorowsky's Dune but I haven't watched it yet.

YE

Stanley Parable was pretty Kafkaesque and very post-modern

Thanks for tickling my funny bone anons.

gta games suffer from EVERY CHARACTER IS QUIRKY and of course the over-saturation of action scenes

Batman. Really, it would be masterpiece.

unironically this
what the Coens brought to this in cinematic form, if translated back into novel form, would be exhilarating and amazing

same with any of Fincher's adaptations. If you could translate the atmosphere, tension, and characterization of Dragon Tattoo back into the novel it would be fucking amazing

can't think of a sci-fi that beats Deus Ex. Neuromancer is up there though

bloodborne baybeeeeeee fuck yeah

thats the hillbilly guy
and theres nothing wrong with that

>thats the hillbilly guy
No, it's every character and every scene
there's ONE straight guy per game.

so deep

the guys at ice pick lodge did admit to that. they gon give it better treatment in the remake.

The abbreviation is DX, nerd

But its a self aware oversaturation to the point of self parody. Also Trevor was a decently nuanced character

well yeah, gta is a satire, but it just gets too much for me sometimes. pacing please.

This is true

The joe rogan show would be great as a book. If someone really good wrote it in a deconstructive way

Is this actually good? I was debating buying it

Unfunny, generic passing-the-torch pulp saga.

I tried this game (the HD version) but I can just barely manage to even play it
that fucking movespeed and complete lack of questmarkers
I got the walkthrough (the original that was their website is gone, so took a while to find that), but then never bothered to look it up
apparently the original english translated (HD has a new one) is far more interesting, because it's so broken that it has a mystical quality
pretty interesting game, I enjoyed my little time with it

It's basically just Snatch if snatch was a parody on american culture.

I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream

But I really like Snatch :(

gta LONDON 2 electric boogalo when?

If you did you should like GTA V too.

no

youtube.com/watch?v=NJ-xcgBL1mY

GTA has no intelligence, it's not satire because it refuses to take a moral stand at it's core
it's all just a bit "whatever"

Since you faggots don't consider manga as literature

>it's not satire because it refuses to take a moral stand at it's core
But it explicitly does take stands. for example there's an anti-torture speech by trevor. Also the radio stations make fun of liberal and conservative viewpoints, and it makes fun of modern vanity culture. A satire doesn't need to take a side anyways, that is entirely irrelevant to the term

that speech is hollow garbage and satire absolutely needs to be moralistic, otherwise it becomes parody, which is basically pandering

How is it hollow garbage? and does the quality of the moralizing matter too now? No, that's not what defines satire, and it's not mutually exclusive with parody

because it is inconsistent with the rest of the game, and not just because of the non-canon inbetween missions stuff. GTA never mounts a serious critique of a society driven by mindless pleasure, but indulges in it, you might say that they comment on this themselves, but thats no excuse. any pretense to it is just wallpaper

>because it is inconsistent with the rest of the game
There's nothing in the rest of the game that goes against it.

looks cute

Garage: Bad Dream Simulator would be the most amazing novel if it could be nailed

Really? I agree that The Stanley Parable is definitely postmodern, but I always felt that it was trying way too hard and was filled with too many ideas to say anything really meaningful about the nature of games. I think Metal Gear Solid 2 is a much more effective and subtle example of postmodernism in video games, and is far less up it's own ass about it.

I'm just going to post morrowind because it's a great video game and beautiful world to explore.

It would make a shit book though.

uncharted

It would be a TERRIBLE book, but it is a good game. I think that's the case for a lot of things here. Games and books are vastly different mediums, and what might be brilliant storytelling in one might be terrible and boring in the other (the Souls series, for example, are games that rely on player interactivity to establish it's tone, atmosphere, and depth).

I think perhaps something like Deus Ex could work as a novel, but for the most part, the games with the best storytelling are usually the ones that would make for less than stellar books. ICO is a perfect example, since it was actually made into a book. The game is a work of art that utilizes the medium in order to draw the player into it's world and form a connection with the protagonists. The novel is pretty boring and cliche and simply gives us the basic plot and events from the game along with some added exposition and backstory that ruin the mystique of much of the game's setting and atmosphere.

it's kinda depressing tbqh

are you fucking retarded m8. read what he said again. if you still don't understand, get off the literature board.

my dude 99% of games are substanceless michael bay rollercoasters deus ex being a very strong example

even on the premise of art and atmosphere, myst is nothing special.

when did I say anything about art and atmosphere jesus fucking christ you people are terrible at reading and argument i don't care about myst and it's stupid story, art, or atmosphere, i just can't stand to see arrogant morons blatantly misreading an argument

>it's

you are dumb

How is that not what the other person was implying? that it excelled in those areas.

>in its time

When Myst came out there was a fucking line at every library computer to see it.

By that logic the davinci mystery is the toppest tier of lit

Are you talking about the Da Vinci Code? It is nothing like that. Myst was something different that noone had ever seen, because of the artwork and immersive environment presented was a completely different experience for the general public. Anyone who says otherwise probably wasnt alive at the time, which I suspect you werent. Judged by immersive games nowadays Myst is pretty boring, but it was something special.

*your dum

:^)

>Anyone who says otherwise probably wasnt alive at the time, which I suspect you werent
it wasn't even that long ago senpai, get over yourself. and no, it was not groundbreaking, it was just the first of its type to get as much marketing

the amount of effort put into this post

>deconstructive
nigger please stop