What makes Young Adult books so popular?

Any ideas?

young adults?

Shallow world building and characters that are easy for average people to self insert as

typical teenagers who are special on some fabulous way . over emotional reactions .idiotic idealised love triangles. same story retoled over and over again.

women

I can't stand the shitty covers they put on YA and genre fiction novels in general. Literally 99% of them ruin the aesthetics of my shelf. Yes, I know this is a shallow and probably stupid thing to care about.[/spolier]

we're all vain around here

Marketing tricks. They know how to manipulate people.

100% this.

There's nothing phenomenal or profound about these books, they just allow readers to feel immersed because they don't have to dive too deep to find themes

Pushed by marketers.
Dramatically fewer people will drop a book for being too easy compared to being too hard. Personally I think YA is too easy even for most people, but it's the only thing they've tried, and their tolerance for difficulty is too low even if they could easily understand with minimal effort.

>why is this form of literature that's easier to consume more popular than other forms?

I wonder

We should move to strike YA conversation from this board. It would make it a much better place

If you cared about aesthetics you wouldn't have any YA novels to begin with.

I don't think so

Money. Young people are statistically more likely to buy books than older people, who have a tradition of going to the library. They are willing to shell out for the entire collection of Eragon books because it's what they do. Old people might like a book fine, but then give it to a friend so they can read it, at no additional profit to the publisher.

Can we please make this a thing
like, every YA thread is pruned

Because reading classical literature and philosophy takes a lot of work.

They stuff-in and water down a lot of important ideas explored in better written works. They make themselves accessible to teens and idiots (wot da diffrence lol) by having easily identifiable pro/antags and conventional easy to grasp romance.

They follow a basic movie structure, and with the prevalence of movies and tv as the most common storytelling mechanism for some generations everything that deviates from it looks too "complex" or too "boring"

(Brain)Death of the reader.

Please. At least spam filter all posts mentioning John Green.

'Young adults' don't bother with older books nowadays, not even the classics usually. Shoehorned love stories and simple characters appeal to people who rather not have to try and understand a book too hard.

>YA and genre fiction. . .of my shelf.

ew, gross.