Why bother BUYING physical books when it's so easy to download e-books for free from the internet...

Why bother BUYING physical books when it's so easy to download e-books for free from the internet? It's like you guys like burning your money.

Say goodbye to that when Russia's EMP fries it, civilian

Because nothing beats the feel of a crisp book in the hands, or that wave of glue and printer ink you get when you open a brand new one.

You can't line the walls of your house with e-books poorfag.

There is no denying, you can carry a whole library on those things, switch between books easily, can read in the dark, etc.
But..
There is no denying that, for alot of people, reading physical book is way better, and also, owning a nice copy of your favorite books is pretty nice.

If you really do not want to "burn your money", why don't you just read from your cellphone, like I do sometimes? And also, its like you don't even know something called second-hand books, with the price of that device you can buy ALOT of classics that no one gives a shit to these days.

"i must visually display my literature taste in my living quarters!!! how else are my guests going to think i'm smart. "

Why bother living in a house when you can live in a shack for virtually nothing?

This.
Good luck trying to find a L'etranger e-book on the post-apocalyptic american wasteland

Veeky Forums has a quotation arrows you know.

you mean

>meme arrows

I do this but I'm a third world poorfag
I would love to have pshysical copies

This.
If had to buy the books i read, i wouldn't read as many as i have. And i couldnt get books in english or french by buying them.
Only negative thing is that you lose the pleasure of having a nice full bookshell. But that's not mportant.
Reading in a cellphone is a pain in the ass. E-readers arent that expensive either

Well, I managed to read some books in my cellphone, books that I didn't find/want to buy, and here in my country, that shit is REALLY expensive

>not having a faraway cage for your stack of nooks

Kek here in my country they don't even sell them. I took a chance when i went to usa to order it on amazon

>I have never taken an economics class in my life
>I have no idea whats the consumer preference and why some people consume margarine and some people butter

I swear it's like you guys have never heard of a library

In 20 years I'll still be able to read my print books and you'll have to re-purchase yours a couple times over every time they update the computers and obsolete your old formats.

>tfw waiting for my Kobo Aura One to arrive

>re-purchase
>purchase

Just for the price of that thing you can get a dozen new or like 50 used books.

You can annotate and highlight, you can easily switch to any page you want (and switch back and forth easily).

The physical aspect and the fact that you bought the book makes it far more likely for many people that they'll end up reading it.

You can get hundreds of thousands of books for free with that thing.
>You can annotate and highlight
You can do that on ereaders.

because physical books don´t need a battery to function. also i can spill liquids on books without ruin them. As Harry Rowolth put it: "The book is the medium of the future"

>because physical books don´t need a battery to function
The battery lasts for 30-50 hours depending on the ereader.
>also i can spill liquids on books without ruin them
There are waterproof ereaders.

in the most cases, if you digitally purchase books, you aren´t the rightfully owner of the text, whilst physically purchasing it you are.

I like using my e-reader for reading and buying the physical copy so I can post in "show your book shelf" threads.

My e-reader battery lasts for days. It's never been a problem for me

As I said For alot of people, the little joys of reading is the touch, the smell of the books, turning the pages and watch the progress with the book mark.

You are bringing all the good aspects of ereaders, which one cannot denie, but your are also 'not seeing' the fact that people have different tastes,

>The battery lasts for 30-50 hours depending on the ereader.
my book lasts forever

also the sun can cause the electronics to malfunction. how do i read in the sun?

I was just pointing out lies.

my book lasts forever

guys you're all fucking idiots. e-readers are cool but studies show that retention is significantly improved when reading a physical medium.

let me say it again: e-readers are cool but you're fucking poor losers if you have to act elitist about it. if you're reading a book for serious study, a physical copy should be a necessity.

fucking children

>lasts forever
Have fun with your smelly yellow paper.
>also the sun can cause the electronics to malfunction. how do i read in the sun?
The internals are protected much better than in smartphones and tablets. E-ink screens can handle heat much better than regular backlit LCD displays. Besides, it's not like you'll be reading in intense summer heat for longer than a couple of hours and if you do, you're in the minority. I get it, you don't like ereaders, but stop lying.

>Reading books other people have squashed their dicks with

No thanks

Seriously though unless you're in a big city libraries suck. Especially when it comes to translated stuff.

Because I like them more.

>m-muh smell of paper

The smell of paper is a sensory experience that I, and many others, love deeply that cannot be re-created with the lifeless, inorganic plastic and artificial light of an e-reader.

>be unaware of the R-value of a solid bookshelf
>accuse others of burning money
Why quibble over piffles when you're too dumb to read a book anyway?

oh, are you reading hundreds of thousands of books then?

>but stop lying
i just asked a question

An important factor that someone once mentioned: physical books exist in space and time. They sit in your bookshelf or bedroom table. They stare at you. They invite you to read them. And once you did, they hang around to remind you of the experience. You can pick them up, browse them around, re-read parts of them. Unless you lend them or give them away, which is a pretty nice thing to do. They age and decay. It's pretty impressive to see a book you bought for yourself sixteen years ago, a very important book that changed your life, and notice how brown and perfumed the pages have turned, which used to be so white and clear. Beware, I'm all for digital reading. I used to read on a shitty mp4 player back in 2006. And I read in several generations of phones until I got my e-reader, which I still use to this very day. But for certain titles it's nice to have the physical copy, to enhance the experience. I feel with digital books that I easily lose track of them. Which one's I've read, and when. It's like they don't exist. And they physically don't. There's no trace of them in your daily life.
Lastly, the 'bragging' part. Let's settle this. Humans are social creatures. We watch tv shows that our friends watch. It's nice to talk about Stranger Things or whatever is the new hot tv show, with friends, acquaintances, or the pretty girl you just met. And yes, if you bring a girl home, or you invite people over for pizza, there's nothing wrong with letting her see what literature you're into. She might be into it too, or at least be interested in it, and that could lead to a lot of interesting conversations. I'm OK with this.
So yeah, I do a bit of both.

>im a pseud with shit memroy

Well said, my friend.

My dad gave me an old Robinson Crusoé book, a 1986 The Godfather book and other minor titles that he owned for quite a long time, and those books I have to this day, and they are of great value to me.
I can't imagine that happening when a dude owns only a pile of old non-functioning eletronic devices.

dumb goblinposter

That's because you have assigned value to the book, I have exchanged e-books with friends for years now and never found any problem, everything is just in a e-mail, it's way more easy than to give or lend a book

and he never posted again

>he doesn't enjoy going into second-hand bookstores and finding a good book

LOL

this is a rare thing. At least in my town, second hand bookstores are absolute SHIT. NOTHING worth picking up even free of charge

>e book
>want to flip to a page real quick
>click a button or press the screen ad infinitum
>hope that you get there before the second coming of Christ

>not doing both

Fuck all of you cunts replying to the same bait thread that has been posted multiple times a week for years.

that's the fun part

...cause I like to read physical books? Maybe I like to hold a real book?

Are you?

well, it generates genuine discussions, so fuck off

It's the same discussion every time. You fuck off.

Do books really have a decent r value? If I lined my cabin with books could I survive the winter?

Have alot of warm and comfy books, like Meditations

>sheeple will buy $1 songs off itune
>sheeple will buy books because "MUH SMELL!!!" "MUH PHYSICAL PAGES!!!"
>sheeple will not invest their money into bitcoins or other asset class.

Let the sheeple stay pleb.

It's also nice to think the life your library child have after death. Will your literary progeny take it for themselves? Will your books scatter around the city after being sold by a used book store? Will other people cherish them?

not that guy, but yes, indeed. To think of all the books that I started my lit journey with, in my parents house, as a kid and teenager, that marked my life. To leave that for somebody. Even if you're a loner and never have kids. You can leave them to your favorite nephew or to a friend. Such a wonderful legacy

>physical medium.
>a physical copy should be a necessity
>if you have to act elitist about it
>fucking children

Its like you are willfully acting stupid

>he reads to retain

looks like someone is too pleb to live in the moment

Yes, just look at Pentii:

only find myself reading short stories on the kindle these days. never like to stick to a single-author's stories, it's good for jumping around. used to jump around on novels, too, had trouble managing that, have returned to paper. for whatever reason never got into plays on the kindle. maybe it was all the button-pushing, i use a big font.

>There is no denying that, for alot of people, reading physical book is way better, and also, owning a nice copy of your favorite books is pretty nice.
I have never understood this.

Just from an aesthetic standpoint, ebooks are so much fucking better. The pages are clearer, and it has this kind of matt dullness which looks deliciously bookish. And then there's the matter of it being sci-fi as fuck, if you're into that.

Books are good too, though.

Sure is /r/books in here.

That's a pretty unique problem, user.
e-books are a physical medium. There's literally no difference between an ebook page and a normal page.
More than fifty, that's for certain.

>There's literally no difference between an ebook page and a normal page.
I'm a poorfag with an e-reader and we all know this isn't true fám

personally, it's a different feeling as you turn the page of a 'physical' book compared to just tapping the screen of an e-reader and usually encourages me to continue reading

>I'm a poorfag with an e-reader and we all know this isn't true fám
It is literally true. It's not electronic, despite the name -- unless you've turned the light on, it's just the same as a normal, physical page.

The page thing is just booksniffer bullshit.

this
Literature is about the experience, the journey. If you go into to a book looking to get something out of it you're just another pseud.

but that literally isn't true, and it literally is a different feeling, coming from someone who reads mainly on the paperwhite out of compulsion (either when I can't find a book I like at all or at a reasonable price) and owns a few physical books

nothing wrong with sniffing pages either

Basically, yeah. Everybody works very hard to project an image of themselves and that image can be aspirational. You just did it yourself. By having a bookshelf, you will probably attract people who similarly have bookshelves, just as you probably are surrounded by people who are very critical and condescending of everything. Being critical of affectations is an affectation, which is fine, but don't think that you are any different than everybody else.

>buying an electrical jew

>but that literally isn't true
But it is. Coming from someone who does, in fact, read normal books.

>nothing wrong with sniffing pages either
It's not worth having a physical book.
Why the fuck would I want to attract the kind of person who gives a shit about bookshelves?

you're trying to say you get the same feeling from turning the page of a physical book and tapping the screen of an e-reader

also which fucking e-readers aren't electronic

>you're trying to say you get the same feeling from turning the page of a physical book and tapping the screen of an e-reader
No. That would be retarded.
>also which fucking e-readers aren't electronic
I mean that once a page has loaded, it's purely physical. You're seeing the light reflect off ink, just like on a normal page. It's not shining light at you.

It's electronic, in the same way a robot which turns pages on your book is electronic. The page itself is just a page.

>It's electronic, in the same way a robot which turns pages on your book is electronic.
autism

it's electronic because it uses electricity, without which it couldn't function
I don't know what one you're using but whenever I don't charge mine, it doesn't work

>muh feels

paperbook fedoras should be gassed along side with typewriter, fountainpen and vinyl enthusiasts

go wank to an audiobook you absolute non-heterosexual

Enjoy traveling to a strange and distant land every time you want to read, I'll just stick to my convenient, nearby Faraday cage.

ive got aids

Good luck finding anything worth reading in a public library.

Feels are the foundation of humanity.

First reading on tablet (don't get memed)
Second reading you'll buy the book (put some spare change into the writer's pockets)

got him

1. Because if your desired reading list only contains books available in torrents, that's sad. There is endless material not in that format yet.
2. Because e-readers are useless for any book with large-format, illustrations, interesting typography, etc. You're stuck with an impoverished tiny screen, and often horribly garbled formatting.
3. Because I want to read books at my leisure, come back to them without warning months or years later, and have them nearby.
4. Because I might want to loan one to a friend.
5. Because I use them for research, study, and teaching, and don't want to worry about their availability or when they're due.
6. Because if we don't buy books, publishers continue to go out of business, and there won't be any new books.
7. Because books are fabulous, fascinating, beautiful things, and I enjoy them aesthetically as well as for their content.

None of this is to say that e-readers and libraries aren't fantastically useful, but they certainly don't cover all needs.

This is actually pretty compelling. I have about 50 ebooks on my phone and iPad I got for 0 dollars but a shelf full of books I look at every time I'm in my room and I'm way more likely to pick up a book I bought then read an ebook

Kek

>ITT

who the fuck is william morris ?

The 19th century's foremost interior designer.

I bought a kindle from ebay. Downloading la broma infinita in kindle format instead of physical paid the entire shipping fee. (Still bought the physical though)

go the fuck back to Redd: the it with your real arguments

Some of us just enjoy the look/feel/smell of actual paper books. Another big reason is the lack of color e-readers...

I've abandoned my Kindle for this reason. It's impractical and clunky-feeling. It gives the illusion of better, more convenient, more comfortable reading, but in reality it slows your reading down, reduces your reading comprehension, and if you frequently take notes you will notice your Kindle slowing down to the point where opening the menu is an arduous 45-second wait. I've owned the thing for two years and have read maybe a dozen books on it where I can't remember the plot, characters names, title, author. There seems to be something inherent in the device itself or its concept that creates a bad environment for reading comprehension. I'll admit that there are books on my shelf that I've forgotten key parts of (mostly books I didn't care for anyway), but it is nothing compared with the absolute void of a response I would give to you if you were to ask for a summary or opinion of what I've read on my e-reader.

The e-reader is a solution looking for a problem.

Publishing companies hate them, the general public seems to have lost interest (it was predicted that by this time e-books would be half of all sales but they are still less than a quarter and have flatlined or fallen), and they are plagued with problems that haven't improved in the nearly 10 years of their existance.

e-readers will never be cool, the literary equivalent if vaping.

Also a hipster, but before it was cool.
Go back to Redd: the it with your reddit-tier stockholm syndrome.

Also
>reading modern books
It's significantly faster than actually turning a page.

>I've owned the thing for two years and have read maybe a dozen books on it where I can't remember the plot, characters names, title, author. There seems to be something inherent in the device itself or its concept that creates a bad environment for reading comprehension.
Weird, I've never noticed anything like this, I don't think I've forgotten a single title I've read on my Kindle.
Then again, I always had a very good attention span and much better than average reading comprehension. Maybe the e-book is only for those worthy of it.

lmao I've got a big, full bookshelf and no one has visited me in like, 2 years, suck that

maybe turning a single page, maybe two or three

but flipping through 50 pages is a lot faster on physical books

How the shit is flipping through 50 pages faster than scrolling through the whole book on a kindle?

And that's assuming they don't just have a contents page, allowing you to go anywhere without searching.