Any english translaton suggestions? Looking to pick it up in about a week

Any english translaton suggestions? Looking to pick it up in about a week.

Superior Grossman edition

I have the tobias smollett translation and it was good.

>grossman
ffs stay away from celebrity translators. they just write their own books in a style that their readers enjoy.

It's trash, don't bother.

Grossman's considered pretty good, along with a few others. is just memeing.

Oh, but Motteux is considered shit-tier, so steer clear of the Everyman's edition.

>reading translations
The translation of literature is a mistake.

There are many phrases and words in Spanish that having strong meanings, so to speak. However, there is no way to directly translate some of these phrases to English. As such, the translator is forced to find an equivalent phrase which is, sometimes, impossible.

Have you ever read a Bible and thought "man, this language is extremely simple"? That is the effect of translation. The original Biblical words in Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek carried strong, understandable spiritual meanings. However people decided to translate these figurative words into the Germanic languages, and this is where creationism, Westboro Baptist Church, etc. come from.

>TL;DR Just learn Spanish.

>The translation of literature is a mistake.
t. Argentine

Most people don't have time to learn a language.

Only plebs don't learn new languages for literature

Only pseuds think prose is so important that you must either learn the original language or miss the work entirely.

If the writer is known for having a certain style, prose kind of is important. Especially if the style, or the way a character speaks, works in one language but not as well in another. Slang, jargon, vernacular, etc don't always carry over well.

grossman has annotations that explains what can't be translated like how don quixote switches from informal to formal when talking to sancho

Wtf I hate windmills now: the book

You didn't read the book. Why are you posting this?

smollett

I always had a suspicion, before I read the book, that the only way that scene could be so famous was if it happened really early on into the book.

I was right.

Lol this is a real thing. Over 70% of the citations to Herodotus in classical lit are to book I. Almost none are to book IX.

Same with people that post "bananas lmao" when dismissing GR. It's like the second page

Pseud pleb retard

true, it gets boring after the first hundred pages. I'm surprised that I read a hundred pages of this repetitive crap.

It gets better, for seemingly no reason. You're in the middle of "Don Quixote Is Attacked By A Muledriver 3: The Reckoning", and then it all becomes a Shakespeare play.