Would you consider this man a "literary great"

He is undoubtedly the greatest comic book writer of all time..

does that make him a literary great, would /lit put him up with the best?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=EPTCgaDHk3Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Watchmen is greater than 85 percent of the literary wank that's out there

no

Watchmen and Swamp Thing are masterpieces.

>ITT: clueless anons mentioning Watchmen instead of From Hell

yes

>are comic books literature ?
No.

No, but an entertaining writer.

of course he is a literary great?

I enjoy Moore's work, but I do think he tends to lean on the pessimistic side of things.

Then again he did grow up in Northampton. I have no doubt 'Jerusalem' will feel like an omnibus of Coronation Street in written form.

Get this comic book shit off my board.

I already said no my dude.

His perspective is too much of a meme and the medium of his best work doesn't highlight great prose or poetry, that's the best way I can put it.

Jerusalem is going to be a masterpiece

>Watchmen and Swamp Thing are masterpieces.
And Marvelman is better than both so...

he definitely has the potential. Voice of the Fire is a really strong work.

love his comics too but i tend to evaluate them separately from his literary work, for the sake of this discussion anyway. he's already established himself as a comic great. i guess Jerusalem will show us whether or not he's a literary great.

I heard Jerusalem has 11 chapters of a child choking on a throat lozenge. Can someone elaborate on this?

Marvelman was written by Gaiman i thought?

he wrote half of it. Or well he wrote after issue 16, I should put it.

Also I never understood why comics/manga readers always try to seek validation here, like they're insecure of their medium. Alan Moore is a great writer, but comparing him to literature is pointless. Does /tv/ try to seek validation here by comparing Kubrick or Coppola or whoever to literary greats?

he literally writes literature though. the /tv/ equivalent would be asking if Cronenberg's Consumed is on par with great works of literature.

>undoubtedly the greatest comic book writer of all time..

KEK

thats not dave sim the author of cerebus, greatest comic of all time, OP

11 (eleven) chapters.
one (1) child.
one (1) lozenge (throat).
zero (0) oxygen.

It's literally just going to be the kids life flashing before his eyes, or a bunch of contrivances that will lead back to the choking kid. Either way, hack tier.

I think comics are more akin to literature than movies and I'm not sure why. Maybe because the consumer controls the pace?

I'd consider Moore a "literary" great because his works aren't as art-dependent, but Bill Waterson or Taiyō Matsumoto comic book greats because their collective talents make something unique from literature specifically

of course

underrated kek

is anyone here reading providence?

Northampton isn't in The North bruh.

you havent read Watchmen, From Hell, or Swamp thing.

thatnks Derrida.

No, because comic books are not literature--they're fucking comic books. When will /co/mplete autists realize that judging a medium by the conventions of another medium is inherently unproductive to that medium?

I've been buying all the issues, but I'm waiting for it to complete before I start reading.

Moore writes actual literature though

>not knowing about based Jerusalem

After reading Watchmen and V for Vendetta, I don't get the deal. They're good and entertaining, sure, but people comparing them to great novels seems crazy. IIRC they suffer from obviously expositional dialogue and really obvious nudge-wink parallels- stuff that would be grating and clunky in a movie, never mind literature.

I do like the neat visual tricks and echoes in Watchmen, though. It's just when it gets into the text it feels a bit laboured.

What expositional dialogue are you referring to in Watchmen? The pirate comic or Dr Manhattan's monologues on Mars?

>shambolic beast man gets the girl story written by shambolic beast man

Nah, I don't think I'd call it a masterpiece.

His only good book was From Hell and even that was self-indulgent

Is Consumed worth reading? Not expecting literary greatness but is it worth the time if you love Cronenberg's films?

No, just odd bits of dialogue. I only half remember, but I think there's lines like 'since the 1976 Keane Act...'- stuff that nobody would actually say, that's clearly just there to fill the reader in.

I could be misremembering, but that's the impression I got.

>greatest "x" of all time

This is not true for anyone in any art form

Moore wrote the bulk of it up to the fight with Kid Miracleman

It is worthy but only if you really really Cronenberg. There are better books out there than Consumed.

ofc there's many many better books out there, what's good about it did you think?

Moore is on par with Eisner, both are worse than Kirby, tbqh

I would say so. Alan Moore is a bastion of creativity and deeper meaning, even when applied in a comic book setting -- a feet most ceretainly worth talking about. From Hell alone is enough to justify this.

However, the unfortunate thing for him is that he is among the very, very select few who manage this. The vast majority of comics are trite and dibblous, claw-hammer-esque in subtle and lacking egregiously in any sort of original thought. I'd say the only other few who manage this would be Neil Gaiman with Sandman, and possibly Grant Morrison for Arkham Asylum. Possibly.

Everything else is garbage. Sometimes enjoyable garbage, but still garbage.

my copy is still sitting on my shelf unopened. hope to read it around fall or winter.

>have great voice
>don't narrate own audiobooks
Why does he do this?
m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=EPTCgaDHk3Q

The distance between Moore and Gaiman, Morrison (lol) is large and marked by many writers. I suggest you not lunge into authoritative diatribes about subjects you've only grazed on, or failing that, at least refrain from dipping into your top hat & monocle glossary when you do so, because that makes you stumble beyond graceful recovery.

It felt like a DeLillo Novel but not as great, It's enjoyable but you can tell it's a debut novel.

I think I'll end up reading then, second rate Delillo is first rate a lot of things. The comparison makes sense I guess since it must've been written quite soon after Cronenberg made Cosmopolis - DeLillo's own second rate DeLillo novel

>Everything else is garbage.
Or rather, you are just uninformed.
You should check out works like Paul Chadwick's Concrete, Gary Spencer Millidge's Strangehaven, Jamie Delano's work on Hellblazer, Art Spiegelman's Maus, Dave Sim's Cerebus, Steve Purcell's Sam & Max, Charles Burns's Black Hole, James Robinson's Starman, Brian K. Vaughan's Saga, Ed Brubaker's Sleeper, Warren Ellis's Planetary, Mike Mignola's The Amazing Screw-On Head, Garth Ennis's Adventures in the Rifle Brigade, Eric Powell's The Goon, Jack Kirby's Devil Dinosaur, Hergé's The Adventures of Tintin, Jeff Smith's Bone, Franquin's Spirou et Fantasio, Jodorowsky's Metabarons, René Goscinny's Asterix et Obelix, Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix, Kazuo Koike's Lone Wolf and Cub, Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Jhonen Vasquez's Squee!, Junji Ito's Uzumaki, Carl Barks and Don Rosa's Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge comics, Winsor McCay's Little Nemo in Slumberland, Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Tove Jansson's Moomin strips, just to name a few.

lol yeah, exactly what I thought when I picked it up. It has a similar tone to to Cosmopolis which I emjoyed inspite of it's flaws, with Cronenberg's body horror. It's satirical (I really hope) in that it's characters are fucking pseuds but their interactions are interesting. Also gave me boners.

good digits, good post. you should check out A Contract With God by Eisner.

I want to read From Hell again (read it years ago, but now consider myself much more literarily educadted).

What are some works I might want to check out beforehand? (Not just comics.) I know that From Hell had a lot of references to history and art. I don't want a lot of it to fly over my head.

>Chadwick
>Chad
No fucking thanks.

What's the matter twerp, afraid he'll rob you of your lunch money?