How safe is the street food in places across greater Southeast Asia?

How safe is the street food in places across greater Southeast Asia?

Anyone ever had experience with vendors from India, Bangladesh, Thailand, Vietnam etc. please feel free to share.

In the videos it looks tasty.

india and bangladesh you very easily get sick, thailand and vietnam is prolly as safe as eating in most restaurants, also generally id avoid dishes including uncooked water. But desu just use common sense, just know that eating very spicy/sketchy can fuck up your stomach for a long time, thus severely sucking away your holidaytime

I was a month in china, we nearly ate the street food there every day. Was cheaper than in the restaurants, tasted good and no one got sick

If you avoid spicy food in India all together you'll probably get sick. It's how they survive.

they focus was on "very" spicy, i can handle almost anything but got sick after eating hotpot in chengdu which was stuff cooked in chilioil, dipped in chilioil, i should have known itd be too much, vietnam and thailand i was also fine

AVOID AT ALL COSTS IN INDIA

I traveled in eastern SEA for six weeks. I ate street food all the time and it was pretty much always tasty and I only got sick once: Nasty diarrhea in Cambodia. Vietnam and Thailand, no problem. The food in Vietnam is really really good and cheap. I had some of the best meals of my life at crappy little stalls sitting on tiny child-sized stools.

Your pretty much fucked eating a hotdog in NYC and they have a health department (a dwindling one, but at least they have one).

I wouldn't eat anything not canned/bottled in Asia

its about as "safe" as picking up a turd and gently rubbing it all over your food before eating it.

gutter oil tho

insider info: you can have an active rat infestation in your kitchen in NYC and it only drops you one letter grade to a B

Always ate at streets stalls in Laos, Vietnam and Thailand and have never been sick from it. The meats they sell, like satays, get grilled in the morning and reheated when you order them, so they don't lay uncooked in the sun all day.

Normally I'd say avoid ice, but personally I never had any problems with the fruit smoothies.

And most important of all: go to places that have a lot of diners, preferably locals. I'd much prefer a stall that looks shabby at first look but is buzzing with locals, over a more posh looking restaurant with menus in English but with not customers.

Im indian and I dont generally eat street food when I visit india. Especially the stuff in that picture, pani puri is a 100% way to get sick unless youre a local in that specific area and have built up an immunity.

Ive lived in america nearly 2 decades now, so when I go back and I have to eat something from a street vendor(mostly its one of my cousins who says I should try this). I try to go for something that is deep fried & I ask the people to make it right in front of me so I can see it.

A good indicator of safety imo anywhere is are people buying from that vendor. On my last trip to india last year I ate from some dodgy places but I didnt get sick but one day while out I decided to get this egg puff pastry & its just basically a boiled egg cut in half baked in filo dough. I was constantly using the bathroom the next day but upside is that my uncle is a doctor and he had some medicine and I was fine by the evening. I decided to just buy a supply of the medicines he gave and they were super cheap. You could literally buy enough to take that stuff daily and the cost would be like eating out for a week but you have a supply to last you for months or even the entire year.

1. what is that meal ? Soup in a shell ?
2. Why does he wear this orange shirt, wtf

a dented can is 10 pts.

I'm actually wondering the same thing. My girlfriend is Vietnamese and we plan on going to Vietnam this summer, but I'm a bit worried about the food safety.

I've read to buy charcoal pills and that getting sick is to be expected until your body gets used to it. Is this true?

You can get everything on the street in restaurants with AC and marginally better chance of not getting delhi belly.

>Cambodia
Simple, decent stuff. Don't eat local beef and you are likely to be fine. Lots of soups, they were nice. Snake on a stick is pretty crunchy/dry, not too much flavor. Fresh fruit was good.

>Thailand
This one street vendor had pad thai for about 30 baht (about 1 aussie dollar back then) that was better than a lot I've had here. Food was nice overall

>Singapore
The night market was obviously more expensive than Cambodia/Thailand, but top quality. Good rice dishes

Someone said earlier in the thread to go places that have a lot of people eating there, and that's a good rule to follow.

I saw that on Andrew Zimmern

Cold watery broth in a thin dough shell

He noped the fuck out because he didn't want Pajeet's Vengeance

india:

try and hit up stalls that already have people eating at them.

stick to steamy hot foods and fried stuff

avoid meat unless you are in a really fancy hotel or restaurant

if the stall has multiple people working at it then its probably a good thing since business is doing well if they can afford non relative workers, the places that have like one person cooking and the other taking orders and handling cash are usually pretty safe.

try and eat at actual brick and mortar places since you can usually find reviews for them on google and tripadvisor or zomato.

In Thailand they're fine, avoid India at all cost.

Probably depends on what you eat specifically and how it is prepared.

rule of thumb: you will get sick in shitskin countries and might even die. asian countries are usually safe because they are not surrounded by, bathe in and eat shit particles like shitskin nations do.