Whos the weird frontier of literature and philosophy

whos the weird frontier of literature and philosophy
i know james ferraro studies foucault but what about the other

Literally who are these guys?

the weird frontier between pop and avantgarde these guys are the saviors of music

more dudes making 'experimental' music are the saviours? it's not even avant-garde

James Ferraro, Dean Blunt, Daniel Lopatin, Alejandro Ghersi

>it's not even avant-garde

he said weird frontier between pop and avantgarde, which is a space all four of these artists undeniably occupy.

>between pop and x
>saviors of music
Holy fuck

can u rec me some more artists like this? just listened to some and i like it a lot

sloterdijk
negarestani
lingis

list goes... on

i liked dean blunt the most i think

yeah i know man ROCK AND ROLL!!! Pop music is like totally gay am i right? real men listen to rock not that justin gayber bullshit haha i mean i just hate this generation too they don't understand the power of rock like we do. I mean has anyone even heard of Freddie Fucking Mercury anymore???/?/ at least us intellectuals understand real music and have real taste. Rock on brother!!

This joke would work better if you were a bit more subtle, to the point when that guy would actually believe you were serious. I happen to agree with you, but your irony could use a bit more stealth.

Why is James Ferraro on Veeky Forums? My friend actually used to date him about a decade ago and we used to drive around LA. I'm surprised to see him on here.

haha yeah but that guy is like soooooo dumb i have to be like way mega uber total over the top so that a big fat dumby like him could even get it. I mean we can understand like subtly and shit cause you smart and you loyal (haha like DJ Khaled said) but he's like way not smart and loyal, but that's cause your like a super smart intelectual and all cause you like read. Im glad people like you and me can feel superior to others cause we are like so totally smarter than them and like totally know how to right jokes hahaha really got emmmmmm right?

haha goteeeeeem:)

Enlighten us with some Ferraro stories user. What was he like?

it is true that i can't deny they are neither pop nor avant-garde, which is probably why it is so boring

i agree but it's a shame that a conceptual artist has such an unimaginative approach to music making

Sure!

Hype Williams (Dean Blunt's previous project)
Ben Frost
Tim Hecker
Emeralds
Fennesz
Objekt
Rene Hell
Sun Araw
Giant Claw
Lee Gamble
Dutch E Germ
The Haxan Cloak
Fatima Al Qadiri
Torn Hawk

Labels:

1080p
Opal Tapes
Night Slugs
Fade to Mind
Orange Milk
Pan
Hippos In Tanks

There's loads of bandcamp music within the vaporwave "genre" that sounds like Ferraro (specifically Far Side Virtual) and Lopatin (specifically his Eccojams project) although most of it is very derivative of those two albums. There's also a lot of "grime" revival type stuff that's pretty forward thinking electronic music IMO (e.g. Visionist, Wen, Lotic, Mumdance, Logos).

That's all off the top of my head but it should be a good start!

>it is true that i can't deny they are neither pop nor avant-garde, which is probably why it is so boring

Wow you must be on the bleeding edge of avant-garde music! Could you rec me some non-boring music you listen to?

Ehhhh. I'd rather not. Like most artists, I've heard he was a prolific sponger, but that doesn't make him any different from other artists. You would have to be delusional to think he makes a living off of his music, so one has to pay rent in expensive places like San Francisco, Los Angeles, NYC, and Belgium somehow.

Rock is also pop. Please take your entry level core back to /mu/ please.

i fucked his ass once in California

sorry man but i'll let you know when music manages to catch up with the rest of the arts

Rene Hell, Sun Araw, Emeralds... lol, I know all of these guys. The label 1080p even rings a bell. You kids are young... but fuck, I'm only 25. Long before the "vaporwave" or "hypnagogic pop" labels were being tossed around by mags like The Wire we just called it "psych" or you often saw people call it "blissed out psych." I have no idea what they meant by that. I thought these guys all died or got real jobs.

lmao that's what I thought. nice fucking copout.

Not that guy but I met James when I saw Actress & Evian Christ in LA a couple years back. I recognized him so I approached him and chatted with him for a while. Really gracious and unpretentious. Even gave me his email address haha.

BTW I am this guy-

and I am 25 too. I remember those days haha. I figured if you had not heard of Dean Blunt or James Ferraro you wouldn't have heard of any of that stuff.

Daniel was inspired by PKD, if that helps

thanks a lot for the post dude, i appreciate it a lot!

why do you think it is a cop-out? i think you may have misunderstood me

>this music is boring
>what music isn't boring to you?
>all music is boring

That answer is lame as fuck, dude. You know it, too.

hey guys i'm 25 too !
nothing else to contribute

It looks like today I've been post-ironed by a true autist.

see, you misunderstood me. i didn't say all music is boring

Lopatin is pretty well read (majored in philosophy) and he usually mentions interesting authors in his interviews. One of his favorites is Manuel de Landa, who fits the "weird frontier of literature and philosophy" pretty well.

I supposed Nick Land could also fit that category.

for OPN cioran seems to be a big one.. one of his songs is named after him.

he mentions julia kristeva, specifically "Powers of Horror" iirc

>0neohtrix: currently delanda, latour via harman (haven't tackled latour head on yet but im feeling it), galloway. older shit - kant, heidegger, leibniz, deleuze

THAT is arca? never would have guessed

>/moo/ users visit Veeky Forums
Stop being so fucking pretentious, guys