Are there any rappers whose lyrics have literary value?

Are there any rappers whose lyrics have literary value?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=eO6OaVnbqaY
youtube.com/watch?v=vq74YbY-djQ
youtube.com/watch?v=hiqWhbWg6lM
youtube.com/watch?v=rMxNYQ71LOk
youtube.com/watch?v=eCvxC8rofjs
youtube.com/watch?v=xUy6EaXZN3g&index=13&list=PLFWwnM0yqVj3r0uCdh2IuwaWc9iwgcpDj
youtube.com/watch?v=qZMRUyF8Q6c
youtube.com/watch?v=uIOMYZVUy_I
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's literally the same question as "does david foster wallace have any discernible talent?"

The answer to both is no

/thread

Not sure. Whats this rapping music?
Monkeys postioning themselfes in the trees?

only if they're white

>Nigger music
>Literary
Pick one.

You are on a bad path, kid.

First of all rap is black culture, so these fags don't like that.
Second, rap is not considered intellectual, lit fags can't pretend to care about it to seem smarter, that's another strike.
Third, rap has themes like desperation, worry, wrath and the consequences, living dangerous lifestyles, comradery, mourning and metaphysical looks on ones own life and what he's supposed to do in the scope of time he has.

But it's black peoples thoughts, and some of them make up words, so it's easy to assume it's not relevant and "ghetto"

>what is Hamilton

garbage

Eminem

>Dude I'm white and I don't identify with that, you can obviously tell from my hot opinions that it's objectively shit.

Im pretty sure Charles Darwin wouldn't agree with you, son.

Rap is about invoking feelings through tone, agressiveness and beats. So in a way, I think so. But not really. I mean, I like it, but it's not poetry, even if it at times seems poetic. Also,
>Kendrick
lmao whiteboi atta here cuckboyy what you like listen to the music of mah people and bout how whiteys be fuckin wit blackys

Darwin admired some black people and considered a couple of them his intellectual companions. Try reading a book.

>Darwin admired some black people and considered a couple of them his intellectual companions

that's funny because Darwin was a monkey too

So you claim, must be true true then.
I admire my parrots, they seem pretty intelligent

You're right on all points, but you misspelled camaraderie, so I can't take you seriously.

Be nice, the black feel despair, worry, anger, wrath.
Probably only species on the planet. We should treat them well.

i would like this thread more if it was an exact repost

No but I hate dubs

lel getting darwin memed.

checked.

Nobody said they were the only ones to ever feel it you stupid faggot. I said they did feel it and they expressed it in their songs.

How sensitive are you that you think saying something about someone else means we are taking all those qualities from you.

>we

WUZ

I truly believe that Kendrick Lamar's music is the most accurate representation of the black condition in the United States. As someone who isn't black, it's interesting to read/listen to an intelligent black man speak about how they perceive the United States and their position in society. To Pimp A Butterfly is a must.

Yes in the sense that rap music can describe in detail the struggles of being an oppressed person. If you're asking if the lyrics can stand alone as a literary work then no.

>black condition in the United States
What is the condition?

>Calls black people niggers and assumes they are simple minded and can only talk about a few things
>Yells the Afrocentrist meme when scared as if black people all believe they drove around in spaceships.
>Actually thinks his family wasn't peasant uneducated poor folk.
>Thinks he waz nobles and Kings
>Probably has sex with and shit talks transgenders on tinder.

Cycle of poverty, black-on-black crime (Black Lives Matter was actually upset with him for rapping about this topic), the destructiveness of hood culture, etc. I'm guessing you've never listened to him

Our black froends
Who dont rape our woman
Who like to spend time in prison
Who raps like my sick dog
We should be nice to them, or they pull the nigger card
m.youtube.com/watch?v=eO6OaVnbqaY

TPAB really is an incredibly insightful album. It's amazing how Kendrick is able to express such nuanced views about the condition of black Americans while still making genuinely dope music.

Why the fuck would you expect someone to actually experience something before they discussed it? You some kind of faggot, thinking through things before you shit on them? Gotta lotta nerve.

Is it an par with Mozart, Beethoven, j.s. Bach?
Or just bursting out some self pittines?
Duh, imma gangstar, muh lineage was slaves. Duh huh

Ah yes, I remember the literary years of Mozart!

The soliloquys, the novels, the sonnets.

Except, I don't, because he wasn't literary at all.

>Appeal to authority

How often do you listen to any of those men? I mean besides the times you do it to sniff your own farts and feel superior.

I mean can you provide anything except some fucktarded caricature of black culture?

The musical Hamilton has art value as a musical. In fact, it's one of the most popular of all time (no this does not make it good and no I don't particularly like it). It stands on its own merits, and is as mildly educational as you can expect from its fare.

Jay Electronica, well, at least Act 1: The Eternal Sunshine

The nigger musical?
Hm, guess the blacks got money to enjoy the fine arts?

Do you?

> "Loving you is complicated, loving you is complicated
Loving you is complicated, loving you is complicated
Loving you is complicated, loving you is complicated"

Is that what you call literary value?

Suicide boys

>ctrl f "aesop rock"
>no results
aesop rock

adam bradleys poetics of hip-hop is a good place to start

Pretty much all I listen to these days is Clipping.

I got the ice cream cone
They say it looks like a crown.
My people chained, biting the link
See the shadows in the black water
Its ink.

Born as nigger
I know whats trigger
Give us me that ice cream
Because I suffered. I will cry.

this is the funniest post i've seen here in months

>I don't understand it! That means its fucking shit!

Different user here
Isn't *most* rap music caricature of their own culture? Much of it sells not on it being actually related to being black, but because it in some way portrays how they like to think their life is, or wish it was. The popular money and drugs themes are just pumped up dreams of making money and getting out of the hood, or just making more money than you do if you don't live in the hood. Even NWA eventually became a parody of what it means to be black in the hood.
These days I think Kendrick is about the only one who approached the circumstances without self-parody with good kid maad city. Even then, he indulged in a bit of it with Backseat Freestyle, but at least the parody was more self-aware.

user, I went and saw it. I came away thoroughly unimpressed, but it's not bad as a musical. Just not to my taste.

What merits are that? Aside from incorporating some hip hop stuff, it's all very mediocre fare. Subject unoffensive, no interesting spin other than race swapping, music is nothing new
It's no better than a Robert Zemeckis film, put together for viewing pleasure alone and for ticket sales.
The fact that Hamilton got nominated for any awards, let alone win, shows the sorry state of theater.

Careful, we dont speak like that. We sugarcoat our critisism, because those nignogs cant tolerate critisism.

It was the first rap musical that wasn't complete and utter garbage. That's it. Some of the songs are nice, and it's an under-utilized era of history so people can take a narrow look at it and feel superior. By merits as a musical, I mean that it is an acceptable middle-of-the-road Broadway musical, no worse than most of the drivel that place produces these days.

Off Broadway is where it's at.

sometimes

I kinda like Mos Def in this regard. His earlier things anyways, Blackstar (with Kweli) and Black on Both Sides.

J Cole too, but only a few songs. Even then, meh.

They're out there, I'm sure. But like all good music (and literature), that shit's underground yo.

I watchef it yesterday, music soo good, history great (like i cant read0
We niggers suffers so much, im not making enough money.

That's a very good argument, but ponder this. Is there a character that could EVER defeat Uchiha Madara? And I'm not talking about Edo Tensei Uchiha Madara. I'm not talking about Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara either. Hell, I'm not even talking about Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan and Rinnegan doujutsus (with the rikodou abilities and being capable of both Amateratsu and Tsukuyomi genjutsu), equipped with his Gunbai, a perfect Susano'o, control of the juubi and Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju's DNA implanted in him so he has mokuton kekkei genkai and can perform yin yang release ninjutsu while being an expert in kenjutsu and taijutsu. I’m also not talking about Kono Yo no Kyuseishu Futarime no Rikudo Juubi Jinchuuriki Gedou Rinne Tensei Uchiha Madara with the Eternal Mangekyou Sharingan (which is capable of Enton Amaterasu, Izanagi, Izanami and the Tsyukuyomi Genjutsu), his two original Rinnegan (which grant him Chikushodo, Shurado, Tendo, Ningendo, Jigokudo, Gakido, Gedo, Bansho Ten’in, Chibaku Tensei, Shinra Tensei, Tengai Shinsei and Banbutsu Sozo) and a third Tomoe Rinnegan on his forehead, capable of using Katon, Futon, Raiton, Doton, Suiton, Mokuton, Ranton, Inton, Yoton and even Onmyoton Jutsu, equipped with his Gunbai (capable of using Uchihagaeshi) and a Shakujo because he is a master in kenjutsu and taijutsu, a perfect Susano’o (that can use Yasaka no Magatama ), control of both the Juubi and the Gedou Mazou, with Hashirama Senju’s DNA and face implanted on his chest, his four Rinbo Hengoku Clones guarding him and nine Gudodama floating behind him AFTER he absorbed Senjutsu from the First Hokage, entered Rikudo Senjutsu Mode, cast Mugen Tsukuyomi on everybody and used Shin: Jukai Kotan so he can use their Chakra while they are under Genjutsu.

Honestly it depends on the type of rap music. There's a pretty wide range of styles and subjects in the genre, but the top 40 type shit tends to be all pretty similar.

Most of the rap that would have "literary value" would be more conscious rap (e.g. Mos Def, Lupe Fiasco, Kendrick) that is actually interested in examining the culture.

I listen to rap occasionally. It has some musical value the same way all popular music does, it's not significantly worse in that regard.
There are some clever/funny lines.
But I just cannot see myself actually reading the lyrics and be amazed by them.
Rap works because it expresses violent emotions over a repetitive (hypnotic) beat.

Conscious rappers are more educated for sure and have more depth in their lyrics.
But IMO conscious rap just doesn't work well as rap, it's not violent enough.

>But IMO conscious rap just doesn't work well as rap, it's not violent enough.
When you say violent are you just referring to the delivery or the content? Because I can think of a few conscious rap songs that have aggressive flows

youtube.com/watch?v=vq74YbY-djQ
youtube.com/watch?v=hiqWhbWg6lM
youtube.com/watch?v=rMxNYQ71LOk

I have to disagree with you here. In my eyes, rap serves as a bridge between music and poetry, combining the importance of beats and melody with the importance of meter, rhyming (to an extent of course), and syllables as well as adding its own more unique necessities such as nuanced delivery and themes concentrating on those who are most disenfranchised.

I wonder if people sincerely make these threads hoping to wow Veeky Forums with hip-hop. Veeky Forums consists of three kinds of people

1. pretentious idiots
2. shitposting idiots
3. people who don't care

There won't be the discussion you want here. So don't even try.

>First of all rap is black culture, so these fags don't like that.

If it weren't for white teenagers buying hip hop music we wouldn't even be having this conversation. The record companies themselves are owned by whites and Jews. The most commercially successful rap "artist" of all time is white. Your culture is a curiosity, and rap is a minstrel show for the political correctness era. Seriously, the subject matter and lyrics of the average rap song are a mockery of good music. I don't know how those niggers manage to shout such aggressive, lascivious, and stupid sentences while dancing around and waving their hands at the same time. I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face. It's like how mental patients used to be exhibited for entertainment at dinner parties.

>Imma beat that pussy up like Emmet Till
>N-no I'm not like that other guy, I'm socially conscious, and have profound insights into the human condition! Listen for a minute!

So stop whining, you can't sell this horseshit to everyone.

Rap >>>>> Slam """Poetry""""

Dont say that. I demand being taken seriously, even if I got zero sense to say. Bwaaahhh.. listen to me, im black.. lineage of slaves.
Bwaaahh. I know im pretty stupid, so what, bwwaah

>When you say violent are you just referring to the delivery or the content?

Both, I don't think you can separate them effectively without losing something, it's more complex than that.
Hell even the beat itself is an integral part, and all the parts are something more than the sum...

This is an example of good aggressive rap with that primal chimp energy:
youtube.com/watch?v=eCvxC8rofjs

>That's why I pack a Nina, fuck a misdemeanor
>Beating motherfuckers like Ike beat Tina

Like beating people up?
Where does it get you.?
I see a little, hurt child, missing his drug addict father.
Son, you probably got potential,, I guess.
Dont waste your life.

>the subject matter and lyrics of the average rap song are a mockery of good music.
If you ignore the gangsta stuff, the lyrics are about as "good" as any pop music lyrics (which are 95% about sexuality).

>I don't know how those niggers manage to shout such aggressive, lascivious, and stupid sentences while dancing around and waving their hands at the same time. I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face.
You're just out of touch with those primal energies, you either feel it or don't. Teenagers tend to feel it more, but it's not exclusive to them and feeling it doesn't mean they're stupid.
Niggers might feel it more than whites/asians or maybe they just have less inhibitions.

I know it all looks stupid in a way, but so do many aspects of life, like sex, for example.
It's just something we have to live with. Not saying we have to live with niggers, though. We could restrict ourselves to watching them on tv from far away.

You're hilarious. I'm sure your mother would be proud of how you spend your time.

Is this what autists consider funny?

>a lot of crews like to act like a violent mob
>they really need to just shut the fuck up like Silent Bob

Dot Rotten. Grime mc, not rap. Most of you fat yanks won't know the difference.

youtube.com/watch?v=xUy6EaXZN3g&index=13&list=PLFWwnM0yqVj3r0uCdh2IuwaWc9iwgcpDj

KANGZ

kendrick, almost
mf dooms older stuff

i dont think i can think of anyone else. like freddie gibbs and danny brown are clever with their lyrics, but its not entirely smart in any way. and milo is just some namedropping nerd.

Self-pity, narcissism, delusions of grandeur, and consumerist tribalism. So it's the same as every other American, but from a less intelligent perspective

Anons, what do you think of the blacker the berry

I think it's dogshit for retards who know absolutely nothing about poetry and literature but want to attach its intellectual prestige to their preferred mediocrities

Stop bumping this thread and go back to your containment board

i remember hearing that he is one of the few modern rappers who have been celebrated by his those from jazz, old-school rap, hip-hop, funk, intellectuals, poets etc he claims influences him.

my only problem with kendrick lemar is that people think that he is the first person to write "poetic rap" (i dont mean exactly poetic, i might expand on this term latter) about """deep""" issues. i was disappointed when the popularity of TPAB didnt cause the huge interest in similar rappers that many people - including myself - expected it to.

It's bad poetry and it's bad music.

holy fucking shit grow up you pleb.
lamar gives own of the most interesting critiques this century of modern run-away consumerism of black america, celebrity culture, post/ultra-ideology, and our neo-supressive zeitgeist -- if not america itself.

but dont be embarassed, every time someone does something original there are always nay-sayers. i would name them but no one ever remembers who they are. they are quickly forgotten.

i love mr. thesaurus for his puns, word-games and allusions but he doesnt really have much emotional impact. he can say something that makes you say "wow, that was clever" but not really anything that changes your entire perspective on anything.

i admit though, i may be proved wrong - i havent listened to his stuff in a while. recommend me something contradicting my claim?

So basically he repeats the same ideas that have been in American fiction since the end of WWII but with a jungle boogie veneer
>post/ultra-ideology
Oh I see, you were trolling. Nice one, you got me

>intellectuals, poets
e.g.?

you guys seen this analysis of Young Thugs music?

wacky shit. is is any different than the hundreds of books deconstructing joyce to the minutae.

Well, analysis of Joyce is actually interesting to read, since Joyce's work itself is interesting.

and worth a shit.

only rapper i used to like was Eyedea (from Eyedea and abilities)

look up his stuff, it's pretty good imo

Some nice sounding tracks that are great (also more popular) are Burn fetish, smile, and By the Throat.

Here's burn fetish
youtube.com/watch?v=qZMRUyF8Q6c

ehh. i was like 60-40 meme and serious.

his work is actually quiet interesting. also, you should no that themes neednt be original, only the treatment thereof. hell, literature only really pulls on less than 20 key themes (havent counted).

by post/ulta-ideology i mean that we desire belief more than ever (hence ultra-ideological) and yet have run out of anything to believe seriously in, as we've made a joke of so much. this is one of the key themes of TPAB.

its much more than just KILL WHITEY shit. it directly mocks that sentiment.

youtube.com/watch?v=uIOMYZVUy_I
maybe this one works? sorry anons

did you read any of that young thug analysis? if not you cant say whether its interesting.

im just saying that you can give someone a sequence of random numbers and people will read all this complex shit into it.

(((dont hang me Veeky Forums im not implying that complex isnt actually present in joyce)))

This thread again

I don't see what's Jewish about that statement.

harold bloom

backpacker tryhard 2deep lyrical shit is not Veeky Forums

real nigga shit is Veeky Forums though

He has nothing to do with it. You probably mean Leopold Bloom.

Came here to say this
his new album, the inpossible kid, is good and it's all on YouTube officially. It's more clear on his meaning than his previous albums.
>Rings
>Kirby
About his Cat
>Get Out of the Car
about realizing how his friends death affected him, but also not deflecting blame from himself for a downward spiral.
>Shrunk
he kind of makes fun of himself, his obtuseness, his lyrics, and his superior attitude.
Other songs to check out
>None Shall Pass
>the Harbor is Yours
>Daylight
>No Regrets
>Leisureforce

will check these out later thanks.

milo

Immortal Technique

>Don't they know my nigga Gutta kidnap kids, rape 'em in they ass, throw 'em over the bridge

what did he mean by this?

Agreed, Lamar isn't the first person to be doing this kind of thing, though he probably is the best doing it right now.

Black Thought, Lupe Fiasco, Nas, etc...yes.