Kitchen unitaskers, utensils and general money wasting

I got an unexpected bonus with this month's salary, but the catch is that it came as $700 giftcard which I can use in a superstore
I was thinking about furnishing my kitchen, but I wonder what could I get that would be really useful/cool
I'm currently thinking about a slow cooker and a hand blender (the ones that come with several attachments would cover several bases)
however, there's still some money left after those two purchases... what would you recommend to get with the free dosh?
btw, I already have a blender, so...

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Toaster oven perhaps?

>I already have a blender

What kind? If it's not a commercial type like a Vitamix or a Blendtec then upgrading to one of those would be well worth it.

hmm, interesting
I'm not sure if they actually have those but I sure will check them out

get a pressure cooker
it can function as a slow cooker plus do a bunch of other stuff

>buy an IED for your kitchen!

Cooper pots and pans my dude
Also knives

Mandolin (precision slicing with ease)
Micro plane (turns garlic, ginger ect. to minute particles in seconds)
Temperature probe (control and reliability in roasts, slow cooks)
Whetstone and steel (keeps knives sharp because it helps)

All of the above are cheap as chips and have endless utility. Slow cookers are a godsend, more uses than I can count, worth shopping around though. As for fancy money sinks;

Knives can be really blood expensive, but unless you're keen a paring, chefs, and bread will do you fine. This is a whole debate in itself but wursties or globals will stand you in good stead.
Vacuum packer and bags could be worthwhile, enables proper sous vide of anything you want (concentrates flavour and is excellent with tough meats)(also storage)
A properly made cast iron pan or stew pot is often phenomenally useful and will outlast you

Also toastie makers are fun as fuck and often cheap enough to justify their occasional use.

Stand mixer
food processor
kitchen scale (oxo is good)
blender (if it isn't already a blendtec or vitamix)
enameled cast iron oval french oven
stainless steel clad fry pans (12 and 8 inch)
2qt saucepan

good pepper mill (peurgot or unicorn)
fish turners/pallet knives
wooden flat scraper (never buy wooden spoons)
good sidetowels (cia is the best)
a complete set of pyrex glass mixing bowls
complete set of pyrex glass measuring cups

why is everything I make in the slow cooker so dry?
it's soft but there is no moisture even if its cooking in liquid

slow cookers suck
seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html

Sear off your meat properly before cooking
Slow cooking in liquid is best for cuts with a bit of fat because it adds flavour and prevents dryness; try using some skirt, blade, or neck
Pressure cookers serve many purposes, slow cookers just simulate a stew pot with controlled heat

>Mandolin (precision slicing with ease)
That isn't what a mandolin is.

BTW- does anyone else think it's weird that we don't have a board on Veeky Forums for playing and learning musical instruments?

rice cooker and smoker if you have outside possibilities

I just bought a kitchen aid juicer with Canadain tire money. Very happy with it, juicers are pretty sweet, if you don't have one. The ninja blender is cool too

The best use I have found for a slow cooker is boiling down carcasses to make broths and stocks.

Put the thing in the slow cooker, turn on high - revisit 2 days later for wonderful broth.

add some potatoes, a bit of bacon, make a roux and add to thicken - whalla.

That was probably in the domain of /mu/ before it became /tv/ with somewhat older girls

some of my favorites

pressure canner/cooker
juicer
deep fryer
vintage slow cooker (must be made before 2000 or is garbage)
mandolin even though the one i got sucks balls, i get it
cheap blender (i don't think you need a bajillion dollar one)

stuff i want

kitchen shears
instaread thermometer
wheeled island thing with shelves and cutting surface
another pressure canner/cooker
food processor

Modern pressure cookers are miles ahead the stupid old pot with the wobbly thing on top

Do it in a pressure cooker and you get better extraction AND it only takes two hours, not two DAYS.
>whalla
Fuck you.

The fucking wobbly thing on top pressure cooker from presto that I have is top tier and nothing will ever fail except for gaskets that have to be replaced once in awhile. But that's true of any pressure cooker.

What are you trying to say? I can meat safely with mine too.

OP here, thanks for all the suggestions guise
specially re: pressure cookers

Huge pressure cooker., it can double as a stock pot/slow cooker. Very versatile.

>utorrent on a phone
>2011+6

presto canner/cooker a goat
want to get an all american when i'm working again

Presto makes good ones. Simple, durable and not much to wear out other than the rubber gaskets. It'll last for generations.

If you don't have a set of steel clad, get one, I have the Cuisinart set and they are fucking fantastic. as good as my cast iron and easy to clean.

never saw the use in a stick blender to be honest

>never saw the use in a stick blender to be honest

How so? they're great for making pureed soups, sauces, salsa, guac, mashed potoatoes, blended drinks, smoothies, etc. They have a zillion uses in the kitchen.

Though I will say that I prefer the texture you get from using a proper blender as opposed to a hand blender. The hand bender is super convenient though.

I can do all that with a spoon, fork or masher, or by cooking. stick blender just never lit my buttons, seems like answer in search of a question. also they get grody quick, and if I do use my real blender it can go straight into the fridge with leftovers

>I can do all that with a spoon, fork or masher

Sure, it just takes a fuck of of a lot more effort.

>>also they get grody quick
So what? The lower half comes off and you chuck it in the dishwasher.

>>and if I do use my real blender it can go straight into the fridge with leftovers
Not advisable. That shortens the life of the seal around the blade shaft at the bottom of the blender.

>a lot more effort

no

and blender gaskets are like 50 cents

OK, go make a smoothie with a spoon, then compare that to your blender.

Or try and explain how you can make salsa with your fork/spoon in less time than the literal 2 seconds it takes with hand blender.

>blender gaskets
I'm not talking about the gasket between the blade assembly and the blender jar. I'm talking about the rotary seal through which the blender's shaft runs. You can't replace that alone, you have to replace the whole blade assembly.

I understand you don't like hand blenders. that's fine, nothing wrong with that. Just accept that it's a hangup of yours rather than trying to justify it.

>OK, go make a smoothie with a spoon, then compare that to your blender.

Why wouldn't I use a real blender for that and have a handy pitcher afterward?
>Or try and explain how you can make salsa with your fork/spoon in less time than the literal 2 seconds it takes with hand blender.

I already have to chop the veggies, I just cut them to the right size the first time.

I think you're a little too serious about this topic. Is...there anything you'd like to share with us about blenders? Anything...personal?

>I think you're a little too serious about this topic
You're the one shooting down every possible benefit to a hand blender bruv