Limits are silly, all you're doing is guessing that a value is being approached given some arbitrary starting point...

limits are silly, all you're doing is guessing that a value is being approached given some arbitrary starting point. how can calculus be taken seriously like this? you think it's approaching h such that h is a value that's near x since you're basically just trying to cancel x with itself but don't want to get a division by zero situation. what a joke.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(ε,_δ)-definition_of_limit
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It works. And if you don't think it works, have fun in mathematics without calculus.

everyone for over a thousand years managed to use math just fine without asspulling "hurr look we're ALMOST here somewhere, ergo we are."

it's so ironic to hear people praise calculus for making a rigorous model that generalizes all the dozens of parlor trick methods for finding the volumes of saddle shapes or the acceleration of an object, yet it relies on the idea of "approaching" a value. at least with methods of exhaustion you know what values you approach but with this it's just a guess.

>we're ALMOST here somewhere, ergo we are
it doesn't say that though. the function could have a hole at x, yet the limit as h approaches x can still exist.

look up the epsilon delta definition and then go the fuck back to high school.

Let me guess,
you just failed your pre-calculus in High School.

>converging upside down Ls somehow makes it less of a guess

lmao this shit is supposed to be taken seriously?

not gonna lie, did the standard math progression for an engineer at a reputable state uni and was never comfortable with limits

If your so booty blasted about limits, then go learn calculus with infinitesimals.

that's because mathematics for engineers is never rigorous, regardless of which university you go to

ergo you've never actually learned what limits are

Are you one of those people that insists you can just plug in values close to the one you're looking for and get an answer from there?

>how can calculus be taken seriously like this?

Because it works and lets you do practical things you wouldn't be able to do otherwise. You wouldn't be able to program artificial neural networks for example without having a way to calculate the partial derivatives of each node with respect to the error function to make the gradient descent algorithm work. And then you wouldn't have self-driving cars.

true but your post makes me think you are one of those fags who is getting like 60% in real analysis i and you think you are the greatest mathematician since jacob barnet

still makes the same assumptions

You point out legitimate concerns that late 19th early 20th century mathematicians had, which is why there is now a rigorous definition of a limit:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(ε,_δ)-definition_of_limit

>how can calculus be taken seriously like this?
It can't.
Nobody will admit it, but calculus is a scam. It's lying jew science, just like womens' studies.

There is this fat slob in our math department that thinks physics and engineering owe the world to mathematicians because they invented the tools they use, even though he doesn't even have his undergraduate degree.

You can do calculus without limits!
The number e can be defined using supremum, no limits needed!

Aww, how cute, 6th graders are on Veeky Forums now!

what's the big deal? I see nothing wrong with limits

Get off of Veeky Forums, Wildburger.

>Math isn't a simple matter of calculation, and requires intuition
This and many other surprises await you in college

Wait until you realize what a sham real numbers are!

Tell that to my calculus teacher for the last two semesters. The guy is obsessed with calculation. I still have no idea what an integral actually is other than "a bunch of squares under a curve".

Where does the guessing come in?

>that's because mathematics for engineers is never rigorous, regardless of which university you go to
Objectively false