Finish reading a chapter

>finish reading a chapter
>immediately go to sparknotes for a summary and analysis
Let's get a pleb thread going

But thats pretty patrician

Sparknotes seems to be aimed at 17-year-old girls, it feels dirty when I go there, I'm a 23-year-old hairy fat guy who studies philosophy.

>Be me.
>Wrote plenty of quick greentexts for board I will not name.
>Whenever it came to original idea brain would shut down after a bit into the first chapter.
>Never really decided to do original book approach.
>Got high once and thought of doing a screenplay.
>Wrote a good deal of a 30 minute movie in 3 hours or so.
>Eventually came down, and couldn't continue.
>tfw
>Didn't want to become reliant on weed so stopped.
>mfw I still can't fully form a story after a year.
I'm pretty pathetic, how about you folks?

>finish a book
>read wiki article

>in fifth grade I decide to write a novel
>it's a fantasy novel
>the names of the settings are basically random letters mashed together
>literally zero planning involved, I improvised the entire plot
>got about a hundred pages in and then I gave up

This is how I discovered Madame Bovary was a commentary on social class in France at the time. I thought it was about a really horrible woman. It's such a shitty feeling to know some parts of a book went way over your head.

Literally every starting writer around does that.
Then they learn.

>read books if the cover looks cool
>read heavy books in public to look cool
>when I'm finished I always look for ways to talk about it in conversation

>finish book
>watches movie

>Read communist manifesto at 13
>couldn't pronounce Bourgeoisie
>kept saying it as "Bore-gee-oys" to literally everyone

>takes 2-3 minutes to read a page
>cannot force myself to read faster or else i feel i missed something

I do this

>start visiting Veeky Forums to broaden my knowledge of literature
>still here after all these years

>read a serious novel
>probably didn't unlock it's true meaning since I don't know anything about literary analysis, theory etc. but enjoyed it anyway

Pleb needing help

I'm not a Veeky Forums guy but I do read often. Has anyone read this book or know about it? I read one quote and it was really good, the "if I was drizzle she was a hurricane" or whatever, I thought it was awesome but my girlfriend told me it's a chick book. Is it just a rom-com for girls or is it a good book?

This
Any advice on how to better comprehend more serious books ? And i don't just mean taking notes

Go slowly, don't rush. Read each sentence as if it means something. Search certain words or metaphors on the internet. It'll take a while but you'll know what's going on. It's what I do with Umberto Eco, takes me a couple months to finish his books ...

b8

I mean I already do this, I feel like I have a hint of what's being discussed, picking up on themes and motifs etc., but I can't really form it into a coherent interpretation
thinking about getting a book like "how to read a book like a professor" (whatever the title is), or something similar

I also don't underline anything in books since I'm never sure what I would mark, also bit uncomfortable to read with pen in hand, and trying to get into a position where I can write properly in a book too

Have you read it?

fucking plebs get off my board

no

>check Madame Bovary's page on Sparknotes
>Gustave Flaubert once remarked, “Madame Bovary, c’est moi”
Fucking dropped.

/thread

reading summary and analysis is fine.
sparknotes is not.
seriously there is some incredible analysis and criticism out there for most of the western canon.

pretend its the pronunciation in a different language.

this is fine

>seriously there is some incredible analysis and criticism out there for most of the western canon.
sparknotes is just the condensed majority academic position on standard works
you have to dive into secondary literature otherwise, and mostly people just don't want to read a book on top of another book

underlining in books is fantastic
you don't need to write anything unless you just feel like leaving a note for yourself. when you annotate your books, it's for your own sake. you should know why you underlined something so an explanation is unnecessary .
keep a pen close as you read, and when a sentence, paragraph, even an entire chapter catches your eye make a note of it or underline and save it for later.
after you've finished the book, you'll be able to easily go back and look up what your favorite lines and sections were. gives a much higher reuse ability

>reading a small portion of Karl Marx's works
>considering oneself a communist

Fucking university pseudo-liberals, man.

It doesn't help that there's only three original threads posted on here every so often with other threads being nothing but memes

If you've only read the communist manifesto and consider yourself communist, or worse, you think you know everything about communism and can criticize it "BECAUSE I READ LE COMMUNIST MEMEFESTO"

FUCK U

Think about it for a couple days (in passing, not necessarily setting aside time to think about it), move onto the next book, and then maybe in a couple months or years, or whenever you want, re-read it. Repeat.

Just hide them. Pic related.

Read. More.

>finish book
>read wikipedia summary
>realise i misunderstood at least one major plot point/event

every fucking time. pretty sure i'm retarded

>analyzing
>books

haha i can smell the pseudo-intellectual from here

i did the same fucking thing lol. i wrote a story in my native language at the same age about an underground dinosaur zoo and then the dinosaurs escape into the city. i really liked jurassic park when i was younger. got around 300 pages of shit, sadly deleted it back then.

you can hide thread stubs aswell, you know

I physically wrote it all out on paper.

I used to have this happen to me too. I realized why it happened though. I didn't really like the books I was reading and I just wanted to finish them. If i read books that are more appealing to me or written in a better style it never happens. Difficulty doesn't matter that much. It might be different for you though.
try to form a coherent thought after a chapter. It becomes easier over time.