Good physics books for people who don't know shit about physics?

Good physics books for people who don't know shit about physics?

I've read these so far:

The Grand Design - Stephen Hawking
A Briefer History of Time - Stephen Hawking
The Dancing Wu Li Masters - Gary Zukav
The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene
+ a book i cant remember the title of, by some guy with a russian-sounding name, on the evolution of theories in physics in general

Anyway, these books are all written for normies who don't study physics, and I'm probably not gonna study physics ever (I study neurology), but it is a field of interest to me, and I want to learn more. Problem is, I feel that if I just keep reading popular science-books on the topic, I will never get any more in-depth knowledge than what I have already.

in general you either learn physics properly (with textbooks doing exercises) or read vague and imprecise popsci

the only exception I can think of is that you might be able to find some "history of physics" books which go into some detail about the experiments used and how people found out the precise values and equations of our universe but is still somewhat accessible to a layperson.

So what you're saying is, maybe start reading physics 101 coursebooks from various universities, basically?

you could probably try going for a more accelerated curriculum.

like you could start with a book of classical mechanics, then a book on fields (electric, gravitional, magnetic)

e.g.
McCall, M.W. Classical Mechanics
then
Lorrain and Corson Electromagnetism, Principles and Applications
then maybe
Main Vibrations and Waves in Physics

and while you're doing these you'll maybe need to refer to khan academy for the relevent mathematics, or buy a mathematical methods book for physics undergraduates.

Actually why not just do the khan academy physics course?

If you don't know shit about physics, start with highschool textbooks, or maybe an AP course text book. Also, you will NEED to know some math, nothing extreme but again AP level at least.

Depends what you want to achieve.

Do you want to have useful knowledge or be able to tell some girls at a bar how nerdy you are

>The Grand Design - Stephen Hawking
>A Briefer History of Time - Stephen Hawking
>The Dancing Wu Li Masters - Gary Zukav
>The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene

pure memes

I realize particularly theoritical physics are mostly (entirely?) useless, but I see it almost as spiritual in a way? Like, religion is bullshit, but physics is the actual way the universe works. So it is just very interesting to me. And maybe some of it is somewhat relevant for my neurology degree? Probably not really, but it honestly just interests me

I was not aware there was a physics course on Kahn Academy, I will check it out!

Also, I think you might be onto something with the idea of just focusing on specific mechanics instead of thinking of "physics" as a whole. Makes the thing more manageable for me

> math

damnit... okay

the fifth one whose title I just cant fucking remember is more obscure, but yeah i realize theyre all normie books or whatever. Im not a physicist

Just read the Feynman Lectures

The Quantum Theory of Fields - Steven Weinberg.
Don't be impressed by the title.
It's pop-science.

>damnit... okay
Kek if you think there's gonna be any respect for someone who rambles on YouTube about popsci instead of actually learning the "language" physics is spoken through, or that memes can actually enlighten you

>dismissing something unproven, regardless of its silliness as bullshit

>he actually thinks theoretical physics is useless

OP, in my opinion, you got a lotta other peoples shit coloring your view of the worlds most amazing discipline, sort through that shit before you try to even come near it.

Also, neurology deals a lot with electron interactions,equilibria, energy, pressure, and mild fluid dynamics if you look in the right places, physics would treat you well

I realize the massive importance of chemistry & whatnot, but I do have this impression that stuff like the hadron collider & question concerning the origin of the universe & all that are not applicable in a "useful" context. Not that that devaluates it at all. I still have the biggest respect for the field

But yeah, I'd be curious to look into areas more directly applicable to my field of study. But then, again, could you name some specific books (presumably coursebooks) that would be useful in this regard? This is still primarily things I plan on reading over the holidays, though, but if helps my neurological understand, that's a significant bonus

So I... SHOULD read that?

Also, I am required to take several math courses for my bachelor, so I believe I will be getting to the level of mathematical comprehension necessary for having some understanding of "actual" physics (but maybe not)

> not applicable in a "useful" context
Do you even know what they do over there? What do you define as useful?

Unless those math classes are Differential equations, complex analysis, PDEs, linear algebra and so on, chances are you will be underprepared to tackle even a classical mechanics book.

if he's finished highschool heshould be able to start with a classical mecahnics textbook aimed at motivated freshmen/sophomores and only need to remind himself of a few things.

If he picks up a classical mechanics textbook intended for juniors or as a reference for graduates which is about say adiabatic processes then he won't be able to make progress.

Well I honestly don't know, i just figure questions about the origin & all that stuff (whatever the hell Lawrence Krauss does) is pretty.... not applicable to actual physical technology. But fine, you probably know more than me, so nevermind that

I have, I have finished classes on linear algebra and equations & whatnot, but only at a somewhat introductory level. Several level 100 courses, some 200-courses. So yeah, maybe some good introductory coursebooks on classical mechanics would be good.

However, as I said, this is only due to an interest on my part. I have my hands full with my Masters, and I will probably only be looking at this during my free time & on vacations. I have no ambition of obtaning advanced physical understanding, I just wanna understand more than I do already

I was going to recommend pop-sci as trollpost

but you trolled yourself already

Fine, nevermind

Thanks all. This has been somewhat helpful

Sounds to me that you don't really want to have much of a full understanding but rather a general knowledge of physics. If that's the case, just read something like University Physics by Young and Freedman. It'll cover everything that can be touched on without going over too much. Do a few problems if you feel like it.

OP, I am sorry it comes across this way. What you may or may not understand is how complex physics actually gets. Its so wonderful, we literally had to make shit up to explain it.

If you really do just want more than popsci introduction but not a literal math degree in the process, you'll have to realize what the limitations are.

DESU, I'd go with
. Take everything up to chapter 20 as truth, and everything past it as the watered down real thing. But, if you cross study everything past 20 in different texts, it can allow you to better develop the topic mentally if you aren't a brainlet. As for specific texts for understanding for your majors' courses, honestly you should get used to the idea that a neurologist should have read ALL the texts. You can form your own opinions because if you're worth your salt, you'll have already looked through them. Neurology is a hugely developing field and the amount of research involved takes up bookshelves, not volumes. If you really want to be a bitchin physics hobbyist, you WILL have to take up through advanced maths and rigorous physics texts. Its a melancholy feel, but you can't know everything, there's just too much nowadays

Okay, I will buy the Road to Reality, and take it into the consideration you described. And yes, you are correct, I do have my hands entirely full with my current degree. As I've said, I am just fascinated by the fundamental laws governing the universe and I want to understand more, but if I am to excel in my field, I do not have time for cross studying ever field applicable to physics, so I suppose I will focus primarily on the areas most applicable to my research (serotonin transporter interactions in establishing recognition of antidepressants), and consider that adequate for the next few years

Thanks

>The Grand Design - Stephen Hawking
>A Briefer History of Time - Stephen Hawking
>The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene

Fuck off

These are some of the very few good layman science books

Relativity Visualized - Epstein
Might be a bit outdated now, but it definitely helps you wrap your mind around what's going on without resorting to shittons of weak metaphors

Actually recommending meme academy
ISHYGDDT

It's actually pretty good for basics. It is not meant to replace university. I think the physics course would be great for OP.

I second the Feynman lectures and The Khan academy course is ok, and there's an Intro to Physics course on Udacity that is very beginner-level and doesn't use as much math.

Those are all popsci books. University physics with modern physics is a good textbook.

>I realize particularly theoritical physics are mostly (entirely?) useless
>but I see it almost as spiritual in a way? Like, religion is bullshit, but physics is the actual way the universe works.
OP, how old are you? Be honest.

as I say in my post, i realize thats all popsci, and I can tell I'm getting nowhere, which is why I created this thread

thats the exact type of asshole arrogance i expected form every post here. I'm glad its only you

i just bought the Road To Reality, but I'll make a note of that as well. Thanks!

I'll have a look at those online courses over the summer. Thanks

I don't know what you want user, your post was silly. It's hard to believe you have any care about physics when you spout ignorance that could be dispelled by a cursory browse on wikipedia. Besides, I already told you to get a copy of University Physics with Modern Physics.

ok if my post was poorly phrased or whatever then sawryy I guess? And as I said in my OP, i dont know shit about physics. All I know is what I've read from those 5 books I listed + stuff from my chemistry & biology-classes. I might order the book you recommended too, it wasnt too expensive

I'd try to learn what physics as subject is trying to do before going too deep into physics contents.