Why is there so much focus on presentation in cuckin??

i really dont give a shit how my food looks on plate most times. i just care its tasty.

all the dressing up and abstract art pieces people make dont affect the taste at all.

Its the same reason people look at art u pleb. If something looks nicer people will regard it as higher before tasting it and maybe the looks will improve how the customer tastes the food.
>hmm looks nice
>tastes average
>hey bob that restautant has a really cool dish

It's clear you've never eaten at a good restaurant, why worry?

Cooking takes a fairly long time and plating takes no more that one minute.
So why not put a tiny bit of thought into it and make it look presentable? Its not fucking difficult, and it makes a load of difference to the customer, or your date, you kissless virgin.

Presenation does not magically enhance flavor. Presentation 100% DOES improve the eating experience, and you enjoy the food more when it looks beautiful.

Is it that hard to understand?

This. Especially important when you're entertaining or dining out. But for your own pleasure when eating at home you don't have to give a shit about presentation.

Because it's becoming a serious issue for people who aren't nu-male faggots that presentation is no 100x more important than taste.....

>Cooking takes a fairly long time and plating takes no more that one minute.

Because plating is often highly obsessed w/ color and for many many many dishes, to properly cook the ingredients, it degrades the color; so it forces restaurants to undercook or shitcook their food so you can take a faggy picture for facebook likes/instagram likes/upovtes/etc you attention whore faggot

yeah but my point is without presentation the focus would be only in the taste. no one would care how it looked if it was all about taste

>plating

A silly concept promulgated by chef/owners to convince an easily influenced weak willed public that no matter what you yourself create in terms of flavor and texture, you cannot compete with the artistic beauty that will be destroyed as soon as someone takes a bite. What a fucking conman joke.

Imagine for an istance, Joyce's "Ulysses" is wiped out after someone begins to read it.

You guys need to get over yourselves.

there are restauraunts that cater exaactly to that. darkroom restauraunts. literally you can't see. the waiters are blind people, they bring you to your table, recite the menu... you eat while you can't see - that's what you want, you go there. some people enjoy good presentation, they overpay for shitty meals. and some find places that do both - good taste, good presentation. and good atmosphere.

>Imagine for an istance, Joyce's "Ulysses" is wiped out after someone begins to read it.
Yet effort was put into the font used in whatever print edition you read Joyce in. Along with the cover art. Now compare a novel to a meal. A novel is an intellectual experience that you process over several days to a week. A meal goes down in about an hour. Any little aesthetic flourishes that can heighten the sensory experience of it are probably more on the side of good than evil.

You make it sound as if real chefs put presentation before taste ("fine dining" excluded). Good food tastes great but can you honestly say you wouldn't want it to look good too? Plating isn't that hard considering most dishes have 4 components to them so plating doesn't take much time.

If you really try to argue that presentation doesn't matter or is useful just eat at diners or fast food

>You make it sound as if real chefs put presentation before taste

Not original commenter; but sadly, the market of "foodies" and "yelpers" is forcing chefs to put presentation before tatste

I'm blind. How does presentation enhance my experience at all. If anything they should make the presentation auditory to be more inclusive.

> the market of "foodies" and "yelpers" is forcing chefs to put presentation before tatste [sic]

no, it isn't. a few idiot cooks and restaurant managers are catering to dumbasses that want to take pictures of their food before eating it. The cooks and managers do this bc every time someone shares a photo on any social media platform and tags their restaurant, it's free direct marketing to that person's entire follower base. It's a simple economic strategy that seeks to increase brand visibility for a restaurant, for sure, but it is in no way "forced" onto anyone.

the best restaurants, though, are the ones that know that taste will always rank above presentation, but recognize that presentation matters. Because if your food doesn't look visually appealing, you are (however slightly) less likely to enjoy eating it.

now stop being such a 'sperglord and telling people they can't enjoy creative plating, you fucking weeb. kys.

I love you how you are fucking stupid, you contradict your point in your entire argument. Seriously, how fucking retarded are you?

If restaurants don't server super pretty food (regardless of actual quality), they will get terrible reviews on yelp, good, trip adviser, etc...

Then, nobody will go to their restaurant and it will fucking close

What fucking fantasy world do you live in? This has been a huge and known problem for 5-8 years in any city that isn't a flyover shithole

Order of flavors presented would still be relevant to someone who is blind. But in most aspects you will miss out on most aspects of presentation the same way you miss out on the rest of the visual arts.

yelp only matters to pretentious assholes. I've never bothered to read yelp reviews, and nobody that matters takes them seriously anymore. In its earliest days, yelp provided a decent service, but nowadays everyone knows it's just a shit show of flyovers complaining that the restaurant didn't have their favorite ketchup to put on the well-done steak they ordered.

It is entirely possible to get a great turnout without catering to shitheads from yelp. Catering to shitheads from yelp is only a single marketing strategy that can lead to more customers, but it is not the only strategy, nor is it even the most effective.

Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook are orders of magnitude more important than yelp when it comes to drawing customers and keeping them happy. Having a savvy brand ambassador curate your restaurant's social media presence will do volumes more for a restaurant than some outdated screeching post will.

Face it, anyone still touting the "relevance" of help is either a flyover dumbass, hopelessly mired in the mid-2000s, or both. kys.

>A silly concept promulgated by chef/owners to convince an easily influenced weak willed public that no matter what you yourself create in terms of flavor and texture, you cannot compete with the artistic beauty that will be destroyed as soon as someone takes a bite.

Well actually, creative plating (in which you do more than just plop food onto a plate), is simply about challenging expectations. No matter what food you order from a restaurant, you have an idea in your head of what it *should* look like. When a cook sends you food that doesn't look the way you expected, you can generally have one of two reactions:

1) WTF is that? This cook is an idiot
2) Wow, that is not what I expected. I can't wait to try this!

Of course, neither has anything to do with taste, but it clearly demonstrates that good plating can improve the overall dining experience, while bad plating can detract from it. That's the other piece you anti-plating fags seem to overlook: when you are dining out, you are paying for more than just food, you are actually paying for an entire experience. When you get the bill, you are paying for the person that greeted you, the person that waited on you hand and foot, the greasy, Guatemalan guys that cooked your food, the autistic "chef" that trained the Guatemalans, the guy that bussed your table, and the dirty Spic that washed all of the dirty dishes you created. Somewhere in there, you *also* paid for the food, including how it was plated. So why would you not want those filthy, degenerate Guatemalans to put some fucking effort into what you are paying your hard-earned greenbacks for?

This some bone apple tier shit

>try cut fish on rice
>rice goes all over plate

You don't cut fish you flyover pleb, it should flake with almost no pressure.

I prefer when amazing food is plated in a humble, utilitarian manner. The humility of the chef makes my experience that much better. Also, I've found that artful plating is often performed without consideration of its effects on the food. I've had strip steak go cold prematurely because whoever plated it decided to arrange the shit like a fucking peacock. I've had countless hamburgers that were impossible to eat because the chef wanted them to look vertically impressive. I've even had food that was arranged so wonderfully to where I found the flavor lackluster.

This could unironically cost $10 at a highend resturant.

nah. only if the biscuits were made from scratch

Then it'd cost 30.

How do you browse Veeky Forums while blind?

>i really dont give a shit how my food looks on plate
Good. Then the whole issue of plating shouldn't bother you in the slightest, while people who appreciate it can go on appreciating it. In peace. Why are you making a thread about it?
Seeking validation are we, labour class scum?

wrong, faggot.

holy shit.. i work as a sous chef at one of the top restaurants in a non flyover city (not LA or NY, but west coast), and yall are so, SO completely wrong.

it doesn't make any sense to conceptualize food visually and work backward when creating a dish. you start with whatever inspiration, or a particular ingredient or flavor combination you wanna work with. you lay out the basic flavor profile you wanna work with, and then you expound on that with technique and secoandary flavors and texture and temperature, etc.. once you have that idea down, you visualize what it could look like. then you cook it, almost completely changing your mind on how it should be plated, then you plate it like that.

then you think about garnish that could further elevate the dish flavor wise while also making it more aesthetically pleasing. then you switch the plate because you hate the first plate you put it on, and now you're satisfied with it and now you throw some non-flavor garnish on such as flowers or fennel fronds or whatever else looks cool.

did you guys ever think that the faggots who serve shit food that looks cool don't actually know how to cook?

Thanks I'll go with a flash light and be the most popular person there.

This annoys me

>browses a Vietnamese oil painting image board
>blind

He could be using a screen reader.

Cocks cocks cocks.

>Because it's becoming a serious issue for people who aren't nu-male faggots that presentation is no 100x more important than taste.....
Did Taco Bell raise their prices because of costs associated with "fancy plating"?

No? Then I guess this newfangled presentation trend has zero impact on you.

Post a pic of your physique and girlfriend so us nu-males can have something to aspire to: a fat unsocialized angry young adult who needs to grow up.

hilarious idea
niggerniggernigger

>He could be using a screen reader.
>Cocks cocks cocks.
kek

Welcome to Grinder: Well-hung blind man looking for also blind young man to fuck. Let's poke whatever we can. Love golden showers and bum darts.

Because as long as it took you to cook it after you eat it in just a few hours it's shit so why does it matter whether you make it look pretty before

Two girls have exactly the same pussy. One is horrendously fat and ugly, the other is a hard 9.5. Which one do you want to stick your dick in?

Really makes you think.

Good way to put it. There is a school of thought that says placing too high a value on appearance is shallow, but that's kinda bullshit because we all do it. Taking that into account when it comes to food is just acknowledging basic psychology.

can a blind guy be gay? rlly makes u thijnk

Can a blind guy be straight? All talk no eye candy?
>nag nag nag nag nag

Do you eat paintings?

bruh

Because it makes people like it more. Lemme guess, you think you're "above" things like commercial ads and such?

The analogy comparing a plate of food to a painting should really be the moment you start examining the painting the paints all run together to form a blur of color. That's what's so absurd and pretentious about "chefs" claiming they produce works of art, and a stupid populace buys into it because a "chef" said it was art. I know Dahli talked about "the cannabalism of the aesthetic," but that's not quite what he had in mind.

Is it bad that I want oreo's now?

No. But it's really bad that you used an apostrophe when it was totally unnecessary. Plural words don't need apostrophes. You seem like a retard.

You could form chocolate truffles into the shape of dog shit to perhaps understand how presentation affects the acceptance of taste.

Oh please... every month you turn to some Blood Orange Gaze because Chef is old and over ordered...

the plate on the right looks like it would delicious

the left plate is just dog food

God damnit, how do you miss the point so fucking bad....christ

It's not about the chefs, it's about the stupid fucking customers in many many areas (maybe not yours) that are essentially forcing, indirectly by their actions/reviews, restaurants to focus more on prettiness of food opposed to taste