What is Veeky Forumss take on Hunter S. Thompson...

What is Veeky Forumss take on Hunter S. Thompson? Do you think that the events of the Fear and Loathing stories actually happened as he said?

pretty good and no

He's the only English language writer I can think of that writes in first person present and makes it work. Recommended.

>dude Nixon sucks, lmao, now let me tell you about how much cocaine and alcohol I do, it's really edgy!

>Do you think that the events of the Fear and Loathing stories actually happened as he said?
He said it himself that they didn't, that he did two different trips almost one month from each other to Vegas and all that shit.

The great American novelist

>dude Nixon was a pretty decent guy, I'd vote for him
also, dude Nixon was a pretty decent guy, I'd vote for him

Yes he's a great writer, especially his straightforward journalism. F&L is fabricated but I'm sure that he did get freaky

>atavistic

>novelist
Journalist, you meant?

A bit of a hack that had some serious talent that was eroded away by his lifestyle. I've read a lot of his stuff (Hell's Angels, F & L, and a lot of his journalism i.e. Kentucky races)
He peaked early like chess grandmasters do or other writers of the era.

He took too much psychedelics and burned out pretty early. He even recognised deep down F & L is the best thing he would ever write, he's popular amongst early 20's or people who haven't really developed their tastes and fits what there idea of what a writer is i.e. hard drinkin, takes lots of drugs.

In the end he was surrounded by sychophants and leeches a wasted, dessicatted wastrel only fit to be ground up and snorted.

>only fit to be ground up and

fired out of a cannon.

>he's popular amongst early 20's or people who haven't really developed their tastes

Woah there, we shouldn't just ass.u.me things. You are correct he was a bit of a hack, but he was a damn fun hack, a True American Hack, and reading him doesn't necessarily mean you glorify drugs and alcohol.

This. His book on the Hell's Angels is outstanding non-fiction. The best since Agee, tbqh.

He and Capote are the true journalists writers.

Another hack that wrote a one hit wonder and became a sniping bitchy parody by the end of his life.

In Cold blood was a good read by a lot of it didn't really stick with me. Maybe I don't get their brand of journalism..

Same thing, in his case

Gonzo journalism, as it was called, was sort of strange and so maybe not for everyone. That doesn't make them hacks, though.

True, I feel its a case of what could have been. Hunter S. had a lot f balls and a great mind but he didn't have much to show for it after all the boozing. If you look at Roth, DeLillo or Updike particularly, they may not be as sexy to read up on or have crazy stories.

But they created some amazing shit. The rabbit run books will live on for a long time. Books that will be read in a couple hundred years tine sort of shit.

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '79 is some of the best work ever written about the United State's election process. And it's some of the best political writing of all time.

HST's keyed up act was just a part of the man and his work. To call him a hack is either disingenuous or ignorant.

Is it still relevant today or has times changed enough that its more of a historical footnote?

still totally relevant

You mean '72. Just read it again because it is election year and it is more relevant than anything I've read on US politics.

Joyce?

>the events of the Fear and Loathing stories actually happened as he said
if they did, that would be proof that they didn't

How do we know that hes not lieing?

Runyon?

Thompson's more serious journalistic work has value. His cheesy stuff is good for a smile though.

Thats what I always ask. Given that his stories were true, he was smart enough to deny it all to hell.

As much as I want to believe, I doubt it though. Because the description of the rooms they trashed were on legendary status. There would be some kind of paperwork for repairs, cleaning, and legal reasons. Think somebody would have given it out as proof.

Not to mention that somebody would have come forward to tell their side. I.e. Thompsons photographer, the reporter in elevator, diner clerk, etc.

Probably not, but if they did it wouldn't surprise me. The guy was legitimately fucking insane. Look up what Johnny Depp said the two of them got up to.

Never read him, but Transmet was great, and it was heavily based on his character/style.

>professionals
>res ipsa loquitir

Don't listen to that retard, read Up! Simba instead.

He was a completely insane, near psychotic fraud tho.