Is there a character who feels desperately alienated and isolated from the world around them...

Is there a character who feels desperately alienated and isolated from the world around them, even though the world around them would be at a conventional standard of "peaceful". I'm not looking for a dystopian book (unless of course-) I'm looking for a book that's just like the world we live in today (which the narrator sees as an awful place). That's how I see the world, I want someone I can relate to, I just loathe every waking day I have to wake up and exist in this fucking place, it seems like everywhere you look there's flaws and oppression, I just wish I could immerse myself in my own dreams to escape this fucking nightmare.

>Dostoevsky, Notes from Underground
Superfluous men of real feeling in a world of self-satisfied conventional bourgeois nihilism. Failure to live up to those standards makes the character a fuckup.

>Celine, Journey to the End of the Night
Sorta the same, nihilistic misanthrope, but character less of a fuckup.

>Houellebecq, anything
Try Atomised and Whatever. You can read them in an afternoon.

Try the Houellebecq first actually dude.

Maybe Huysmans, but he's probably not miserabilist enough.

jean-
NA
paul
US
sartre
EA

If you do read the Huysmans though try A Rebours (Against the Grain).

Good idea

Thanks.

Behead All Satans

The Stranger.

Mein Kampf

I don't want to see this ngr on Veeky Forums.

Brave New World.

thanks
I hate kanye.

Tao Lin.

catcher in the rye. igby goes down.

The Winter of Our Discontent is exactly that

>ngr
Either use the word or don't, fgt.

Confederacy of Dunces fits this description almost perfectly.

Recommending because both the protagonist and the author are literally me.

Literally?

Check out The Wake by Paul Kingsnorth.
It's not exactly "just like the world we live in today" as it's set during the Norman conquest of England during the eleventh century, and is written in a made up hybrid of modern and Old English.
But Buccmaster of Holland is an absolute misanthrope, hates everyone around him, and is descriptive and vocal in said hatred.

His entire reason for living after the initial invasion is so he can say "fuck everything; fuck the current state of things, fuck the way they were for me before, and fuck the way they were even before then."
I greatly enjoyed reading it.

If you don't understand what Kanye is doing and why it is important, you are too dumb to absorb literature in any meaningful way. Stick to making angsty Facebook posts.

It's Friday night and I'm sitting by myself in a Tulane dorm room discussing literature tropes on a Bengalese welding forum and contemplating how nobody gives a shit about my New Orleans-centric story idea. Close enough?

I'm not a fan of him as a person or artist, but I like Kanye gifs

You've got me convinced.

Funny that you post someone who is actually enjoying life and creating content and styles for people over 10 to enjoy you edgy faggot. A natural part of life is growing up and realizing how you fit into the world; it's extremely uncommon to feel so isolated past high school. This site is 18+ by the way and it's very late so you better get sleep for your book club at the school library in the morning. Hope you are caught up on your DEEP and THOUGHTFUL works like SUBTLE Rand and THOUGHT PROVOKING and WORLD CHANGING ideas from Nietzsche.

t. eternal teenager

>important
>Kanye
Pick one. I'm not somebody who cares that he's portrayed as an asshole, or even hates his music, but he isn't important. In everything he does he is 2-3 years behind. Is it "important" that his fashion line looks like a rehash of what his favorite designers did two or three years ago? Is it "important" that his most cutting edge album was produced by people who had been making similar music for years prior to it?
Or am I missing something?

>who are the Beatles?

No, cultural icons are never remembered.

The fact that so many books still name the Beatles as “the greatest or most significant or most influential” rock band ever only tells you how far rock music still is from becoming a serious art. Jazz critics have long recognized that the greatest jazz musicians of all times are Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, who were not the most famous or richest or best sellers of their times, let alone of all times. Classical critics rank the highly controversial Beethoven over classical musicians who were highly popular in courts around Europe. Rock critics are still blinded by commercial success. The Beatles sold more than anyone else (not true, by the way), therefore they must have been the greatest. Jazz critics grow up listening to a lot of jazz music of the past, classical critics grow up listening to a lot of classical music of the past. Rock critics are often totally ignorant of the rock music of the past, they barely know the best sellers. No wonder they will think that the Beatles did anything worthy of being saved.

>ignore everything I said to just say "b-but muh pop culture is important"

How many people know your name?

you should visit /mu/ sometimes, you are missing alot of shit.

>the world we live in today
>not a dystopia

You should stay off this board.

I can't seem to get an educated opinion on Kanye on /mu/ because he's a bit of a meme and I can't tell if people actually like him or it's all just some inside joke.
What's so remarkable about his music? His "meta/relativistic" stance? That's certainly not typical for radio pop music, but really nothing new or unique either.

Also people who mention him in the same sentence as the Beatles need to leave their American suburbs once in a while.
(Not even saying the Beatles were good, just a completely different degree of popular.)

sage