Is The Ego and Its Own a good start for getting into philosophy?

is The Ego and Its Own a good start for getting into philosophy?

It's a good way to end philosophy, Stirner's writings are the logical conclusion to mental masturbation.

lol no

absolutely not

thanks for your honesty. so where do I begin then? inb4 the greeks

it's a meme but it's true, you have to work your way up. you can read Stirner and understand him but his ideas reference earlier philosophical works and you would miss out on context and misread him

ignore English philosophers btw

Edgy kids read Stirner.

Not him. In my case, I went straight to Marx, then read some of his contemporary's writings. I do not have patience to read Plato's and his imaginary friends Socrates' writings. They deal far too much with imaginary shit and supposedly ideals to my taste. Hasn't looked at Aristotle yet, though. Hope he wasn't a fag like Plato

He is much gayer than Plato

Not the nother user, but how?

he's really late, so you might not be able to learn that much about philosophy just by reading him

there's nothing wrong with just reading him if that's what you want to do, but if what you want to do is "understand philosophy" he's not a good place to start.

I will say it's interesting to see how many of his ideas influenced modern philosophical thought, and you could read him for that

Stirner can be read at any point really. What I liked about the Ego is that it's pretty much a closed system.

For other philosophy, begin with the Hellenics.

Just start reading man, that's the important thing. You're going to read the Greeks at some point and then re-read Stirner with them in mind. The important thing is to start reading. I've read some history of ideas and could just walk to the library and borrow the Greeks, but I'm starting with Kant because I feel draw to doing just that. Just read man, just read.

This. If you start out with some stuff you don't care for because you feel like you have to thn you won't have the motivation and it won't be fun.

>ignore English philosophers after Hume
ffty

Hume was a Scot

ITT: metaphysicians trying to dodge the fact that their imaginary bullshit is nothing but spooks of the mind

Don't start with the Greeks if you aren't that interested in Classicism, only people with a basic understanding of Philosophy can actually gain something from them.
Do like said and just read whatever you find interesting, you'll gain a taste for Philosophy in general soon, Stirner wouldn't be a bad start since it's pretty easy desu.
But I won't lie, after Ego and its Own you should read Marx or something, Stirner is like a dead end due to his tragic irrelevance.

ITT. Stirner lover trying to dodge the fact that even Stirner himself lived in capitalist society, eat food he didn't grew, used clothes he didnd't sew and lived in a house he didn't built.

When you have a problem with the way society is, do you up and leave? If not, why hold others to that?

Read a good history of philosophy: The Story of Philosophy - Bryan Maggee

Read the "main works" or read secondary sources on/from the following:

Plato
Aristotle
Augustine
Anselm
Descartes
Hume
Kant
Hegel
Schopenhauer
Neitszszszche

If there's a specific area of philosophy you're interested in (epistemology for example), then ask on here and I'm sure someone can recommend you something

Then you have a nice bit of foundation to build up from and go on your own philosophy journey.

If you want Logic, read The Logic Manual - Volker Halbach

If you want Chinese philosophy, read: Readings in Classical Chinese Philosophy - Ivanhoe & Van Norden

>ignore Locke, Hobbes, Mill, Bentham, Bacon, Ockham

No

>Hope he wasn't a fag like Plato

Stirrer is easy to understand, short, and uninsightful. He is the most successful Veeky Forums philosopher because of that picture and because he can be adequately summarized in 50 words.

>I went straight to Marx
And? Marx is not a philosopher.