Why do Americans eat so much corn, they seem to be obsessed with it

Why do Americans eat so much corn, they seem to be obsessed with it

It's cheap. It tastes good.

I eat it like 3 or 4 times a year. I know a lot of people who basically never eat it. I didn't know we eat a lot of it on a regular basis.

>I didn't know we eat a lot of it on a regular basis.
It's used as a filler, I'm guessing that's what op meant.

>It's cheap

Only because of government subsidies.

>Only because of government subsidies.

ok?

It's a cheap way to get sugar in burgerland but there's lots of people who don't eat corn itself very often. I like it in the summer, when the grill is running.

because in the US you can't escape it.

Most prepackaged/processed foods use High Fructose Corn Syrup instead of sugar because it cost less.

If you go get some food from a church for free that's even cheaper, so I guess we should all eat pumpkin pie filling.

That can't be healthy..

>If you go get some food from a church for free that's even cheaper, so I guess we should all eat pumpkin pie filling.

ok

I'm sure it isn't. I just to avoid it by not eating processed food but it's a large part of most commercial animal feed too.

We really don't, most of it is for animal feed. This misconception arises because other countries put corn on things labeled "American," which for us is bizarre

You know who does eat a fuckton of corn? Mexicans

Most corn eaten in America has been processed. cornmeal, cornflour, HFCS etc.

Sweet corn picked fresh is a wonderful food grilled or steamed. The problem with it is, you really have to get it just picked because it will lose a lot of flavor and texture very quickly. I'm fortunate in that I have a large garden space so we plant several rows of it every year and have enough to blanch and freeze. Store bought, even in season is usually not very good just because of the amount of time it's taken to get on the shelf.

Store bought frozen corn isn't bad because they process it immediately after picking so it still retains a lot of flavor.

Outside of HFCS and doritos/corn chips whatever else, we really don't eat much corn. A lot of what we produce is used as animal feed (cows, chickens, pigs, even fish, whatever else) and a lot is sent out of the country to places that do not produce corn.

Literally not an argument

We don't really eat it, but we figured out how to convert it into animal feed, cheap sugar, flavor syrups, various fillers, and fucking car fuel.
And we have a lot of land thats great for growing it

>doesn't know the difference between sweet corn and no. 2 dent corn

>outside of hcfs
>which is in so many foods and drinks
That's alot of it

Nobody eats this shit. It sucks to cook and gets stuck in your teeth, then comes out of your ass whole.
Like someone else said its animal feed, number one. That means meat.
Also:
Corn syrup/sugar
Corn oil
Corn flour/starch
Ethanol

And that's what makes America great.

Government subsidies.

Its dirt cheap, and can be used to make high potency alcohol. Why wouldn't we be obsessed with it? Also, corn bread is really great.
>Only because of government subsidies
You have your cart before your horse there pal. Corn is so cheap that the government has to pay farmers who grow it because they can't make a buck selling it.

it keeps us fat and docile

Corn cobs are coming out of your ass? Whole? jesus dude.