What's the probability that some hidden knowledge is located at the Vatican's library?

What's the probability that some hidden knowledge is located at the Vatican's library?

Are there any good books that may have some insight into the Library's collection?

Other urls found in this thread:

vatlib.it/home.php?pag=dipartimento_manoscritti&ling=eng
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_war_theory
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Anything "hidden" in the Vatican's archives is hidden for the good of mankind. Books on witchcraft, demon-summoning, and the like. Stuff that humans really should stay away from, regardless of what the folks on /x/ will tell you.

If you want to know so badly just break in action hero style, becoming a fugitive in the process, and run for the rest of the film while attempting to uncover ancient secrets to clear your name. In the process of doing so you will probably meet your love interest who you will grow more attached to throughout the movie until the end when you have your first and final kiss and she sacrifices herself to save the world. In all it would probably be a relativley low budget but decent action flick, getting somewhere between 75 and 80 percent on rotten tomatoes.

Anyone that attempts to access their secrets will be hunted down and murdered. There's a reason we don't know anything, they don't want us to know. More than likely it has conquered treasures they erased from history, or religious texts they do not want us to find.

Didn't they make everything public aside from some records that are considered too recent and private to release?

Yeah, but of course by making 'everything' public they succeed in forever (for as long as they have the power to) keeping secret those things they really don't want out, without any pressure to release stuff because 'everything' is already public.

Probability approaches 100%.
See how they deny it.
vatlib.it/home.php?pag=dipartimento_manoscritti&ling=eng

If Veeky Forums were clever it would respond to this with
>ban
>drown

Highly likely.

Just read a history of the Dead Sea Scrolls by Vermes, the pressure from the Church to cover up everything was immense, and only after it became obvious that the "Teacher of Righteousness" wasnt Jesus and that his teachings were different did they relent, and even then they continued attacking it. Also consider the Church's reaction to the Gospel of Thomas, which many scholars see as a work that should be on par with the synoptics "(its a fake"). Add to that the ultra reactionary nature of the 19th century church and the human propensity for losing things, and you have real problems.

If i wanted to get in there and steal some forbidden knowledge where would i start

the greeks

learn greek, Aramaic, latin, and german

I was thinking take pictures or literally put scrolls in a bag or something

yeah there's probably "hidden knowledge" there. stuff about their collaboration with tyrannical regimes, their persecution and torture of innocents through the centuries, their cover-up of generations of child abuse, the account numbers where all the gold is, what really happened to Lord Lucan, Shergar and Glenn Miller, etc etc

there's probably some stuff about exorcism and summoning satan and stuff but that's about as much useful "knowledge" as reading Hellboy

>she says as she posts hegel
its out in the open. the world spirit will always be more advanced than some individual isolated idea

someone sounds bothered

am i though?
do i look bothered?

The Vatican archives are probably full of amazing shit, but don't they sometimes sell documents and artifacts to museums when they need money?

i miss donna
comfiest nuwho companion

>Just read a history of the Dead Sea Scrolls by Vermes, the pressure from the Church to cover up everything was immense
""The truth is that the delays in publishing were due not to machinations and conspiracy from Church authorities, but to very human failings", Vermes writes."

?

Srsly what makes atheists so bitter and resentful?

Catholic leadership did considerably less evil than any contemporary sources of mischief in any give time, jet somehow every atheist knows everything about catholic evil doings, and absolutely nothing about all the rest. Child medicine of Japan, total genocidal massacres during Peloponnesian war, Roman ethnic enslavement practices, Norse morals on slaying, Ottoman child slavery... Honestly, world was a really bad place, what was done in directly under Vatican leadership is nothing compared to what people considered part of day.

>Child medicine of Japan
one wrong doesn't right another
as for why most atheists know about the catholic church, that's because most atheists live in the west where the church was strong at one point or still is

>Catholic leadership did considerably less evil than any contemporary sources of mischief in any give time

really getting the message of the prince of peace across there, god botherer

I was gonna ask what "Child medicine of Japan" refers to

The Catholic Church is not there for peace nor is Christianity a self proclaimed religion of peace.

>hidden knowledge

Ah, the stuff of cults, conspiracy theories ...

Blessed are the merciful: for they will be shown mercy. (5:7)
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they will be called children of God. (5:9)
?

You wanna keep throwing around out of context and understanding quotes on war and peace from the bible?
?

polfag

52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.
?

"No known Christian author from the first centuries approved of Christian participation in battle; citations advocating pacifism are found in → Tertullian, → Origen, Lactantius, and others, and in the testimonies of the martyrs Maximilian and Marcellus, who were executed for refusing to serve in the Roman army. Grounds for opposition to military service included fear of idolatry and the oath of loyalty to Caesar, as well as the basic objection to shedding blood on the battlefield.", Fahlbusch, E., & Bromiley, G. W. (2005). Vol. 4: The encyclopedia of Christianity (2). Grand Rapids, Mich.; Leiden, Netherlands: Wm. B. Eerdmans; Brill.

?

I'm pretty sure killing is worse than molesting.

The thing is you see us having fun going to churches, celebrate holidays you see no point in, having our own faith, minding our own business, and you are angry about that, and you start searching of a time when we did not mind our own businesses, and you go and find vast humongous evils that was done in faiths name, but at the same time you search for that, and for that only, you don't see clearly the state of the world in which evils were committed, you don't see that it was Christianity the one that improved it.

best post is best post

The thing is, Christianity was instrumental in developing European philosophy of combat of not going for the population, but having warriors take it out among themselves. From the knights on the warriors prided themselves of not going at the population, but being it's protectors.

really epic strawman there user

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_war_theory
?
It is the official doctrine of the Church, has been for a long, long time.

Yes of course, I'm not saying that Christianity and war are completely incompatible, but it is by and large one that prefers peace and peace seeking over war.

>which many scholars see as a work that should be on par with the synoptics

What do you even mean by this?

I think you're seriously confused. The Gospel of Thomas is clearly derived from the hypothetical "Q Gospel" that was a source for the synoptics. It is also clearly later than any of the synoptics. It's a valuable source for people who think they can reconstruct Christian "prehistory".

But no serious scholar would say it's "on par", better, or worse than the synoptics as far as theology, or reflecting what Jesus actually taught. Those are questions that are beyond the scope of historical criticism.

>Just read a history of the Dead Sea Scrolls by Vermes

I don't understand. Afaik the Catholic Church had nothing to do with the Dead Sea scrolls. They were found in the desert in 1946 and passed on to American scholars who were mostly Protestant.

They weren't being hidden in the Vatican.

I'm sure they "attacked" it in the sense that they have always attacked any works they consider heretical.

4 And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

Um... You know you're talking shit? Dead Sea Scrolls contain very little apocryphal as far as the Church is concerned. But even if it was, countless other apocrypha exists. Nobody ever tried to hide them, or discourage their research. They are even analysed by clergy, for what they are.

Man should always automatically be separated from when people look at who God is and what his mission was and his teachings. This is an obvious thing, the churches and men will always stray from the word, he says not to follow men but to follow me.

Of course, but it isn't a religion of peace, if by that we mean pacifism.

So by your understanding of pacifism, if 10,000 barbarians were invading your village and there was no escape you would just accept that you were going to die and not defend yourself?

Christians believe you should defend your life. I'm pretty sure most pacifists would defend their lives, too, if push came to shove. It's pretty easy to be a judgmental pacifist in a country like America that has very little violence and no war.

It's just typical atheist dogma. Fedora hat on, muh witch trials, muh cathars, muh crusades, muh molestings, muh dead sea scrolls, don't know shit about any of them, but he's heard some other dude read some book about them, so it's all on pope.

A real pacifist wouldn't use force under any condition otherwise they are not a real pacifist, even defending your own life is a violation of pacifist principles and would be the ultimate test. Violence perpetuates violence.

/x/ here.
Two weeks ago I summoned a demon in the sistine chapel. I listened to some evocations when I was there, visualizing his symbol in my mind.

>So by your understanding of pacifism, if 10,000 barbarians were invading your village and there was no escape you would just accept that you were going to die and not defend yourself?
Yes.
>Christians believe you should defend your life. I'm pretty sure most pacifists would defend their lives, too, if push came to shove. It's pretty easy to be a judgmental pacifist in a country like America that has very little violence and no war.
I'm not a pacifist, but there were significant numbers in say Soviet gulags, people who under no circumstances would do any kind of violence under any circumstances.