Bread Thread!

Just made some awesome sourdough. I made some cultured butter too with it! Crumbshot coming up too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jrL56-TZhQ0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Crumbshot. Crumb was slightly underdone just because I used a woodfired oven, and the dome temps got a little hot, Pulled it put around 20 minutes in. To finish them, I let them cool first and then sliced and put it back in the oven, so my family can eat them.

Looks pretty damn awesome user

why is it all burnt to fuck?

Mmm, I bet that bread tastes just like burnt bread.

bread does look a little burnt OP

but I bet it tastes fantastic

Try making smaller loaves next time
Looks good, but crust is def a shad dark
I'm a bread guy and I've been thinking up ways to make nut loaves that aren't dense as fuck
Don't have the equipment at home but I've played around with making flour "porridge" and incorporating them into dough during the mix right before bulk kinda like an oat porridge bread
Basically just taking a small fraction of water, boiling, and taking a small percentage of the total flour plus fresh milled nut flour and mixing it.
I haven't tried it yet but I'm hoping someone may have and would be willing to share results before I splurge on a million lbs of nuts
I'm also considering adding yeast or starter to the nut mix to bring some more flavor out but I haven't made even a test batch yet so I have no clue how the flavor would come out after baking
I'm sure it'd be hard to avoid increased density due to oils in nuts but I hope to avoid this by upping hydration to almost 90% and bulking a little longer to get a bit more gluten development
Anybody ever try this before?

Dome temp for the oven ran a bit hot, excess of 700, but the deck was 500, so i figured the dome would cool down as I put the bread down. It's fine though, i just don't eat the crust.
Like an autolyse?

The bulk ferment hit about 15 hours, flavor had a nice sweet tone with a big hit of acid, plus the spelt flour I used instead of the usual rye added some good flavor.

Butter I made i got the cream from a local farm and inoculated the cream with some kefir and let it sit for 3 days at room temp. Wish it was much more yellow but it's winter so the cows don't eat any of that green grass to get the carotene from.

Not exactly
It's basically boiled flour in place of what would be the oats in oat porridge.
After mixing the boiled water and the flour + nut mix it would ideally have a drier texture than an autolyse as well as next to no gluten development so as to make it easier to incorporate into already surpluses flour more evenly

>I just don't eat the crust

well call this a successful loaf then

*autolysed
Sorry I'm a mobile poster

Fair enough. Though, for me, the crust can be the best part; especially with something like a well-made baguette.

No bread, but I made a fermentation box.

Keeps it toasty.

Oh, so it was a wood fired oven. The crumb looks great to me, but as other anons pointed out the crust is burnt which is understandable with wood fired. I have a wood burning pizza oven that makes great pizza, but I haven't been willing to risk a loaf of bread in it yet.

>cultured butter
Did you activate it too?

only if it has almonds

The fucker get's so damn hot. I'll probably just bake the night after making pizza so oven temps are low.

Or get one of those laser guns that take temperature by pointing the beam at a suface. They're cheap on amazon. Keep checking the walls and floor with it and put it in when it's in the 400F-500F range.

I have one. Problem is the oven I have retains heat insanely well. The insulation is great! Came from a small oven maker in Napa.

All in all, I probably got a bit impatient too since the bread was perfectly timed to proof in 4 hrs after the bulk ferment. Problem was that it just rained here in Cali so it took a while for me to get a fire going.

>white bread
eww

Yours kind of puts mine to shame but I built mine myself. I'm planning on insulating it this spring because it takes about 2 hours to get to 900F and doesn't really stay at consistent temperatures long enough for me to do other things like bake bread with it or make the alsatian casserole baeckeoffe ("bakers oven").

I wish I had time to build one man. Work doesn't allow enough free time.

The straight line brick laying for the base and walls wasn't tough at all, just used a string with a floating level for each row. The difficulty was the vaulted ceiling. I don't know if it's how professional masons do it, but I just ended up building a series of arches that abutted each other. Really makes you appreciate the huge vaults that the Romans built.

But it took about 5 days of work since I'm not a pro.

Interesting. The oven I have in the dome acutually doesn't have a keystone. The engineering for it by the maker, Forno Piombo, is pretty damn good.

Are you thinking of making a dome next time?

Just popped pic related, a small, plain loaf of 64% hydration sourdough, into the oven.

To be honest, I'm hoping this lasts to where I don't need to build another one. If I get it insulated that should help protect it from the weather.

That's good! Did you use firebrick for the deck? Helps with insulation. Also pic of how the oven makers did our oven.

Nice. What flours?

That's beautiful man

Thanks! The oven makers were family owned so it really was a great. Check them out Forno Piombo.

The table however I built, using travertine for the counters.

Just regular ol' strong flour, 14%.protein.
I ain't fancy. It's almost done. Another five-ish minutes to go.

Pls post crumb after it cools

looks delicious
I really wish my oven wasn't fucked

Thanks, guys.
Gonna eat it tonight with an eggplant casserole I made yesterday (they always taste better the day after). I'll post crumb then.

Also, what's wrong with your oven, ?
My house didn't have an oven when I bought it, just a really, really good stove, so I got the largest countertop oven I could find that didn't use high-power outlets. It's basically a glorified toaster oven, but works a treat all the same. If your oven is completely fucked and replacing a whole range/stove is too expensive, consider doing that for the meantime then, when you do replace/fix the other one, you'll have two, which would really help come the holidays.

Look at this fucking bread nerd

the only oven I have (had) has a glass pane in the front, and somebody I know smashed into the glass and shattered it. Theres glass everywhere on the inside
Also, the oven right before also started acting really strange by doing odd temps.
I figure I'll buy one at some point, but not before I move.

Sourdough Boys!

youtube.com/watch?v=jrL56-TZhQ0

Kek

Post some quick easy bread recipes please. I have every thing to make some but don't want to wait a lot for rising

Mhhh, cancer

Torrent flour water salt yeast, use the instant yeast recipes

>Bread Thread
Bread Thread. HA! THAT RHYMES!
BREAD THREAD!
HAHAHHAHAA GOOD ONE OP!
LOL

*slowly creeps out of thread*

How did you get your starter? and is it true that you have to beak bread every week with it or it will die?

I out out a jar of water mixed with flour and left it on the counter for a couple of days. Feedingg it daily.

You just feed it daily and it'll be fine. Or fridge it after the starter is active, and feeding every other week or if you forget, a month.

Bamp

That poor, poor silpat.

do you have a pic where you can see the crumb?

Somebody gifted me a packet of "alaska jack's sourdough starter" for x-mas. I'm mostly using yeast these days, but I've made a few sourdough loaves and always made my own starter--will the stuff from the packet help or hurt?

I bought a house from an Asian family and they removed the oven to put in a fan-fucking-tastic cooktop. Never worked on one better than this. So I'm stuck with what I mentioned in , using a glorified toaster oven. My silpat from before I bought this house won't fit in this toaster oven, so I fold it under the tray. Works well enough.
>cross cutting your boule
I can never get a good rise when I slash it that way. Instead, I do a box cut, as you can see in And sorry I forgot to take a pic of the crumb. Just finished the last bit of the bread today with lunch (sourdough "pizza"). Baking a new loaf tomorrow morning, though, before I leave the house. I'll try to remember to post the crumb then.
Also, I bake very, very small loaves, about 300g each, every other day or so because I'm just one dude and Bae doesn't like crusty bread.

I just made some plain ol bread for the first time today.

Super easy.

>It's fine though, i just don't eat the crust.

I fucking love bread but my current living / work situation prevents me from having large fire stoves or anything remotely similar. I've got a convection oven but have odd hours away from it and have been considering a bread machine but have never used one- are they shit? I know they can't be godlike but I don't have a lot of options.

Honestly by a cast iron dutch oven for 35 bucks. Make a starter in the meantime when you wait for your delivery.

dude small brick ovens are the tits.

>easy to make
>easy to bake

Fucking go nuts on that za bra.

>smearing butter on your table

Hey guys, bout to bake some bread.
Now, I made way too much plain dough.
And I decided that I HAVE to do two separate batches (original plan was just 2 baguettes).

I'll probably have enough for the baguettes, and then a few rolls.

I want to make the first ones plain, but the rest i want to have some sort of additive.

What do you guys recommend? My father likes nuts in his bread and that sorta thing, but I'm not sure the dough I'm using is hearty enough for that.

Maybe some sort of rosemary roll?

Yummo. That crust is a bit burnt but would eat anyway.

Bread dough smells like alcohol.
What did i fuck up?
How do i recover it?

I added sugar, maybe a little too much yeast, flour, salt, and water, and let it rise for 13 hours.

CAN YOU SMELL WHAT JACK IS COOKING

>let it rise for 13 hours.
at what temp?

>13 hours
>presumably commercial yeast
Ya done gone overproofed it. When yeast rises bread, it's using oxygen, eating carbohydrates and producing CO2. When it runs out of oxygen it goes from respiration to fermentation--producing alcohol, among other things. Commercial yeast is bred to go pretty quick, so unless it was n the fridge for most of that, it's probably just starting to ferment. If you mean sourdough starter or something though, I got nothing.

>13 hours
I've done this on accident plenty of times. Bake it. It'll taste like beer

Room temp, maybe a little warmer.
Oh god I done goofed. Probably should've let it rise in the fridge.

Maybe it wont be horrible.
It was also nigh-impossible to put slashes into the dough, so the crust could expand. Like it would be pushed around by the knife, but never cut.

Its only my first time though, so I might make a beer flavored brick, but next time it will be good, I know it.

what are your favourite flour blends? rye, spelt etc . i want to make bread but i dont want to make white bread..

Its been 20 minutes at ~450 and its pretty damn white. Slathered some olive oil on top, maybe that will save it.

Mercy on those who witness the dreaded albino beer brick.

how do you assholes get those huge holes in the bread? mine is always dense

Make sure you don't overproof/overferment in the bulk ferment phase.

My house is cold in the winter, and to make sure its as cold as possible, I put my bulk-ferment container on the floor which is travertine and keeps a consistent temperature of 69F.

I believe in your future loaves, user.
Just so you know, it improves your crust and color to start hot and immediately lower the temp. Like, preheat to 550 (if you can get it) then wait 2-5 minutes, drop to 500, wait 5 minutes, drop to 475, wait 10-15 minutes, then 450 and let it finish for another 15-18. All temps in freedom units ofc.

I can get it to 500 at most, and maybe not even that, but I kept it consistent and it seemed to do fine.

Next time, probably the end of this week, ill go for the lowering temp method.

high gluten flour, long proof time. not too dry, but also not too wet either.