When you are eating with someone, are you supposed to try to match their pace?

When you are eating with someone, are you supposed to try to match their pace?

Kinda, depends on how well you know them and care

Yes, otherwise you look silly and awkward with nothing to do whilst the other person eats.

/autism/ general?

>eating with someone
People actually do this?
Huh

Yea but what if the person is unusually slow

I just make long pauses and talk with them. I never thought about it even tough I have strong social anxiety very often.

T H I C C
H
I
C
C

it's a race and I ain't lost yet

I've never cared about it, I've always been a fairly fast eater and am used to just sitting and talking after I am done eating. Sometimes I'll make an effort to slow down, but caring about it too much is just overthinking.

As a slow eater I stopped trying. If I'm out I always take half to go and if I'm cooking at home I just plate myself a half portion so I match up with all the food shovelers.

Half of this is because when I cook I taste, so I'm already half full by the time of plating. The other half is that I just don't like eating out.

>are you supposed to try to match their pace?

Clearly you have little experience in social etiquette.

When eating publicly with another person you should not only match their pace but mimic precisely every action they do. When they take utensil to plate you do so too, what part of the food they pick up as do you, the number of times they chew before swallowing, when they sip their drink and for how long.

There is so much to pay attention to but it is how you are meant to do things.

>tfw slow eater

Depends, if it's a date and it goes bad, I finish first and then try to steal some of theirs to reduce my loss.

I eat insanely fast and am always left sitting there awkwardly after

This is more correct than you think. Watch the film "My Dinner with Andre." Not many people realize this, but it's really an exercise in mutual public dining etiquette loosely based on the musings of Ed Poe.

my mother takes 40 minutes to eat a meal. i timed it. it's usually cottage cheese and cherry tomatoes and triscuits, she's on a weird diet where she goes to aa and has a sponsor who tells her what she can eat. it's bizarre.

>using utensils whilst eating 'za

I never worry about this
I try to match the other person's alcoholic drinking pace, though I'll guzzle water

Edgar Allan Poe took 40 minutes to eat my Raven Pie.

Fuck that guy.

>Eat like a prisoner

Bitch can catch up later, I think this is why my gf likes me to use chopsticks, slows my round eye self down.

>aa sponsor tells her what she can eat

Good god, that's so far removed from what Bill W. established. She needs to get into another group, asap. There are certain kinds of predators that hangout in aa groups to take advantage of vulnerable people. Not even joking here, at all. Get her into another group.

I try to eat really fast and discretely, so then I can just focus on the conversation while sipping my drink

she is fucking gone man
aa is her life
she calls her sponsor every day, without fail, no exceptions
even when she has a question about why she can't eat something, her sponsor's word is law
she can't eat popcorn and when i asked her why, she said her sponsor said no. when i pressed her on that, she said the sponsor said, "well, how would you measure it?" what the fuck. like you would meeasure annything else. both dumb bitches

Hate the whole concept of "eating with others". All of this mannerism bullshit follows, as well as awkwardness. I lock myself away in my room and comfortably cram my food into my mouth without judgement or self consciousness. I even lick my plate clean when I finish. I can't imagine having to eat with a girlfriend. Having to eat at a slow pace in front of her. Not being able to lick my plate clean. Fuuuuuuuuck that.

>Matching someone instead of making them match you.

Jeez, such a beta diner.

At default, I'm always the fastest. If we're close it doesn't matter. If we're not close, I finish fast so I can get the heavy feeling in the stomach quickly and be prepared if he/she wants to go somewhere else/talk about serious things.

>tfw need 4 hours to finish a salad

I usually sit there and watch them eat while making loud eating and smacking sounds. Then I make bird noises when they try to drink.
I try not to eat with other people

If someone asked me how I would measure popcorn, I would tell them to use a metric ruler. Then I would say "See how stupid that sounds?"

>lick my plate clean
My nigga

I wait for them to take the first bite, then make note of their pace. Then I make sure to eat slightly slower than them, all the while making sure to subtley imply they are a pig through the odd layered comment and my body language/facial expressions. If they end up slowing down I slow down too. If they stop I put my fork down and profess how I couldnt eat another bite.

That fucking sucks, man. People normally replace their addiction with something else and that's for better or for worse.

Hence why you see a lot of shambly old homeless people praising Jesus up and down. That's their escape from alcohol, drugs, or whatever else. Sounds like your mom's Jesus is her sponsor... Whatever that means.

AA is kinda archaic and lousy by principal. They kinda make you go cold turkey and begin fearmongering the shit out of it. If you're in the same room as alcohol, oh god, you better leave. They push this idea that there's never a recovered alcoholic, you're always in remission. If you have that one beer, you broke your 539 day streak and having one more won't be *too* bad.

They don't treat it like a normal person. Getting to the point that having a beer at a party isn't the end of the world, in fact, being able to have a beer, drink in moderation, and not be afraid of the A-word *is* beating alcoholism.

Well, I'm about to break 1000 characters; this became longer than I intended so yeah. Sorry man.

>When you are eating with someone, are you supposed to try to match their pace?
kek'd

As someone who has been a hardcore alcoholic for 20 years with bouts of sobriety and hung around countless other alcoholics.....I can 100% say based off of my numerous anecdotal evidences that AA is shit but also, people can easily free them self of their addiction if one very simple sounding but impossible task is achieved:

Have stress removed from their life

I've never met an alcoholic who didn't have a retarded amount of stress in their life (sometimes caused solely by others, sometimes by their self; or in my case, not leaving behind people who cause me stress)

I always make sure to let the woman know that I think she's an utter pig for ordering anything but a small salad and water.

actually laughed out loud, brilliant

Meanie :(

What about people drinking just because they like to drink and don't know anything else?