Do people actually like this? It was boring af and besides one or two nice quotes a total waste of time

Do people actually like this? It was boring af and besides one or two nice quotes a total waste of time.

user, you did follow the 50 page rule? r-right?...

>translated by

into the trash it goes

hello plebo

>I am of superior intellect because I """""""enjoy""""""" meme books

I hope that Frosch, Brander, Siebel, Altmayer, Tom, Bert, and Bill, take you behind a tavern and have their way with you, OP.

user no one on this board has read faust you're barely baiting anyone

am german
everyone in my country was at some point forced to read this book

yes and this is an english board senpai how many germans do you think there really are

also most of you teuts only read part 1 for school smhtbh

i red some fragments. found it pretty boring. I was way more plebish back then though (must've been 18 or so)

So you're denigrating a classic work of literature that dynamically expands on themes of the intellectual and philosophical spheres, merely because an institution made you feel stultified? Oh man, this is potentially as bad as Americans rejecting Shakespeare.

classic just means old meme

Goethe actually approved of Gérard de Nerval's translation and said he enjoyed it more than the original. So that's at least one translation that's worth your time.

>authorial intent
lol

ah, found the sophomore. hows introduction to literary theory treating ya?

i remember reading a stub about that. did goethe give a reason why he liked it more?

He's only pretending to be retarded. But he is retarded in the sense that he's a monolingual.

I don't think he ever went into details, he simply said that even though reading Faust had become boring to him, Gerard de Nerval's translation made the play fresh and witty again.

hello can we make this a goethe general

i liked the dog devil running around

What did homunculus leaping into the sea represent?

part two is like 20 pages

is this advanced b8

English is a world language and you are literally on the most globalized platform ever, the internet.

Scandifag here, I know I have a bunch of other nordic bruvs lurking and sure there are germans here as well.

thread lurker here.
So, how important is part 2? Can I just read part one and discard the rest? (or read the wikipedia article on it hehehhe)

>like

How about fave or retweet?

you know it's hard out here for a pleb...

>old means outdated

I would be delighted to track you down and offer you food which does not satisfy.

Knurre nicht, Pudel! Zu den heiligen Tönen,
Die jetzt meine ganze Seel umfassen,
Will der tierische Laut nicht passen.
Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen,
Was sie nicht verstehn,
Daß sie vor dem Guten und Schönen,
Das ihnen oft beschwerlich ist, murren;
Will es der Hund, wie sie, beknurren?

Also sage because we've had this dogshit thread ten thousand times. This is not the board for Stephen King fans like you, OP.

Not OP, but I like both.

>part two is like 20 pages

Part2 is much longer than Part1, maybe read a tramslation where it is not stated that Part2 is only partly translated, because it's to complex for english readers.

Part2>>>Part1

I've read it once and didn't find it on the same level as other must read classics.
Not a waste of time however nor was it boring.

It's more about how Faust fits into religious history and contemporary portrayals of the devil than it is about prose, senpai

Besides, isn't that a play? Stop reading plays and watch them being performed by good actors, nigga

Goethe himself admitted, paraphrasing, that Part II was self indulgent, and required revision and concision. One could say that he went GRRM on his old-age success.

Part II is very much worthwhile to read in entirety. Almost no other literature approaches certain of its themes as far ranging as Goethe does, and it remains a lofty testament to the man's abilities and imagination. It's a product of its time, and Goethe's age was more than ordinary. But because of its large cast (a cast of some 50), its metaphysically episodic character (though these have a logical progression), an abridged version, like Kauffman's translation, is fine as an ad hoc read.

Kauffman's abridgement is hermetically self-contained, but leaves enough continuity gaps that an astute reader will develop a thirst for the full version.