Why do people say that his prose is so incredible? To me, his style (or styles) seems to be unique and clever...

Why do people say that his prose is so incredible? To me, his style (or styles) seems to be unique and clever, but I didn't find there to be an abundance of beautiful stylistic moments in Ulysses. In Proust and in Melville, for example, there are far more of these moments, at least in my experience. Joyce is exceedingly clever and occasionally fashions beautiful artistic passages (the Siren chapter was amazing) but not nearly as many as his reputation warrants. He pushes the limits of syntax and wordplay, but not necesarily in a way that simultaneously pushes the limits of artistic capability, at least not to the extent that many people say he does

Proust is fucking dweeb. Can't believed I got memed into reading all his books three times.

First of all, you didn't read ISoLT three times
Second of all, you didn't read it in french

OP it just comes down to "to each, their own." I can see why some would be impressed and others wouldn't. It's about a reader's personal taste imo.

No you're a dumb faggot.

Joyce is overrated on this board. Anywhere else he's among the best prise stylists, but not above. Here, people unironically consider him more influential than Shakespeare and consider Ulysses to be "the greatest novel ever written".
It's like /mu/ and Neutral Milk Hotel.
Take something that's genuinely good and crank up the dickriding until it's hard to take seriously

you've never actually left Veeky Forums have you

joyce is magnitudes more important in the "real" literary world than he is on Veeky Forums

joyce singlehandedly props up ~10 - 20% of literary academia

>Perfume of embraces all him assailed. With hungered flesh obscurely, he mutely craved to adore.

>"Well, it’s seven mornings a pint at twopence is seven twos is a shilling and twopence over and these three mornings a quart at fourpence is three quarts is a shilling. That’s a shilling and one and two is two and two, sir."

What did he mean by this?

>he's not familiar with early 20th century irish numismatics

lmfao @ ur life senpai

He's the 'LOLRANDOM" of prose stylists

>Well, I've delivered a pint seven mornings, and a pint is twopence, so seven times two is a shilling (which is twelve) plus two (another pint), in addition, you had a quart three morning, a quart is fourpence, four times three is twelve, so a shilling for the quarts, and one shilling plus twopence for the seven days of pints, so your total is two shillings and twopence

Why can't brits use dollars and cents like normal people

What did he mean by this?

>Paris rawly waking, crude sunlight on her lemon streets. Moist pith of farls of bread, the froggreen wormwood, her matin incense, court the air. Belluomo rises from the bed of his wife's lover's wife, the kerchiefed housewife is astir, a saucer of acetic acid in her hand. In Rodot's Yvonne and Madeleine newmake their tumbled beauties, shattering with gold teeth chaussons of pastry, their mouths yellowed with the pus of flan breton. Faces of Paris men go by, their wellpleased pleasers, curled conquistadores.

>I concede that he's great, but why is he great

OP all of the qualifiers in your post answer your own questions. Why are you resisting him?

autism shit just like sam beckett

the woman is working class and speaks badly but knows her work well

Shakes, Tolstoy, Kafka, Dostoyevsky, Pushkin, and Nabokov are more academically relevant and studied more ubiquitously than Joyce.

>Pushkin
>Nabokov
>more studied than Joyce
just kill me

>more ubiquitously
What a weird choice of words. You remind me of the idiots who say things like 'aggressively mediocre'.