Tfw I will never be able to read a book while smoking a pipe...

Tfw I will never be able to read a book while smoking a pipe, sitting in a red velvet chair in a humble library with a choclate lab resting at my feet.

This is now a thread about russian literature

we dont discuss doestoyevsky's short stories enough desu

i just got a copy of Turgenev's Sketches, p. excited.

I gotta say, Gogol's The Portrait, and Dosty's Dream of a Ridiculous Man are the best damn short stories i've ever read.

i havent read any of Gogol but i have a few anthologies of dosto that im working through
the double works really well with notes desu

Well, The Double is definitely an ode to Gogol to begin with, but it's one of my least favorite works of his. I haven't read all of Dosty, but of his shorter works, Ridiculous Man and The Gambler are my favorites. Gogol is someone you'll want to read if you're enjoying Dostoevsky, He was a damned genius. I wasn't a huge fan of Dead Souls, but his The Portrait was absolutely fuckin genius.

why didn't you like the double? I really liked the surreal, proto-kafka feel it had to it. It represented external alienation to notes' internal alienation

I feel like a fag for saying it, but it felt contrived? It just didn't flow in a feverish way like his other works, I couldn't manage to get caught up in it. I had read Notes from Underground before it, as well as Ridiculous Man, so i was inundated with work superior to it, from my perspective. Anyway, nothing I've read of his was particularly bad, just my least liked. If you like the surreal, definitely read The Nose by Gogol, and his Diary of a Madman. Both are extremely surreal, and I don't care if I sound like a broken record, but for the love of christ, read The Portrait. For some longer works, just go with Crime and Punishment, maybe the Idiot if you're still enjoying yourself. For others, try Pushkin's shorts, (his poem is inadequately translated, so..) Oblomov by Goncharov, Turgenev is a popular name, though I can't give a total thumbs up, Lermontov is overrated, and for end boss Joycean tier stuff, check out Petersburg by Bely. Also, for more contemporary work, there's The Twelve Chairs, Private Chonkin, and Bulgakov. Also, for something deathly serious, Gulag Archipelago by Solzhenitsyn is some hardcore shit.

i've already read all of his longer works, im just going through his short stories

oh all right. Have you read The Adolescent?

not yet
i actually did read the Dream of a ridiculous man once but it was at work late at night really quickly so i dont remember any of it

It's the one where he realizes that he's essentially the corrupter of another world. It was just so unexpected coming from some old dusty russian shit. I read it when I was young so the impact is likely different with age.

oh
i vaguely remember space travel or something

yep. y'know, fuck that asshole Nabokov.

what does nabby have to do with this other than his meme tier hatred of dosto

nothing, that's it.

thats fuckig gay lol

>loud dumb smelly repugnant canines
Dogs are the antithesis of Veeky Forums

What's the thesis pet? Orcas?

Why not, OP? Get a fucking job and your decidedly unambitious dream could come true.

I'm heavily allergic to dogs

>tfw no cheeky wan wan

>"Hence comes the four-legged friendships of so many of the better kind of men, for on what indeed should one refresh oneself from the endless deceit, falseness, and cunning of men if it were not for the dogs into whose faithful countenance one may look without distrust?"

t. 360 quickSchoped.

Did Nabbo actually hate Dosty or was he just joshing us?

That's the question

Schopenhauer, if anyone's wondering

who knows man, the thing that bothers me is that people use his criticisms to shit on Dosty. doesn't bother me much, mind you, but fuck sake, come up with your own reasons why he's shit.

Buy a stuffed dog then. Or a different animal. I hear pigs are all the rage these days.