Into how many languages can Veeky Forums translate this line from Virgil's Aeneid?

Into how many languages can Veeky Forums translate this line from Virgil's Aeneid?

"Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram"

I'm curious to see how many languages we speak as a whole, and the profficiency at translating that we have.

The verbatim English translation renders:

“They went obscure under the lonely
shadows”

Though I would preferably translate it as:

“They went in darkness lonely by the shade”

evidently nobody here knows literature

And this surprises you why?

because the name of the board is Veeky Forums

evidently nobody wants to be your friend

Why ask us to translate it when you've just done that yourself? I couldn't do it, never studied Latin, but have more than a couple of friends who could, and they are all too good to be on Veeky Forums.

Maybe we're not the right kind of autistic for this thread.

>Majority of Veeky Forums is muritard/britbong/ausfail/canacuck
>OP provides the most likely translation for English
>kek you guys aren't educated fuck you

Thanks for the critique OP, we'll take it into consideration
>sage in all fields

lll bite why not. its a fun thread idea.

going off the english...

阴影下,孤寂行

It's not a fun idea it's gay

Nice translation, it's a shame everyone don't know how to latin

>“They went obscure under the lonely shadows"

Obscuri pretty obviously does not mean "obscure" here but "dark"/"hidden".

What did you think the poet meant, "to go obscure"? Like they were talking about krautrock and wearing drainpipe pants?

ἦλθεν ἐπίσkιοι μόνης ὑπὸ νυkτὸς διὰ τοῦ σkότου

You're asking them to know 3 languages you fuck, one to understand what you were typing to explain, then Latin well enough to get a true understanding of what's being said, and then a third language well enough to for a decent translation of that idea

I'm not saying its retartedly difficult, but damn don't act like everyone's a fucking polyglot

Random question (rather than making a new thread): did Romans take the Aeneid as a tale of real history, or was it always seen as fiction?

Lol the guy who wrote it was literally payed to write it by the emporer at the time. The entire thing is a veiled criticism of the roman empire

>literally uneducated plebs might have though

> Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram
It could be
> The hidden went under the lone night through the shadow
The 'sola' refers to the 'night', not the 'goers'.

> Ancient Greek
ἐβησαν kρυπτοντες ὑπο νυkτος μονης δια σkιας.
> Sanskrit
nighudhâh adhah abaandhavaya ratrayai prati chaayaam agacchan.
निघुधा अधोऽबान्दवयरत्रयैप्रतिछायामगच्छन्।

This is a wiki-tier understanding of the Aeneid.

Also:
>payed

Lol that's a controversial reading that has been debated by brilliant scholars for over a thousand years.

It's easier to make a case that Vergil was a mystic than that he was a political subversive.

And I'm not saying that he wasn't. But you can't just run around saying things like that like it's the only way to read the poem.

The 'obscure' is apposite to 'those who went', hence 'they went [while being] obscured'.

OP is probably an American, and so can't use adverbs.

Yeah obscured would have been OK, still as a general principal of translating from Latin it's almost always better to use some other word than the word derived from the word you are translating. Exempli gratia you wouldn't want to translate "transfero merces trans Tiberim" as "I translate my goods across the Tiber", even though "translate" does have that sense in inkhorn English from ages past.

>able to render even the most basic English sentence into Sanskrit, and in Devanagari

Patrician as fuck man, I'm actually jealous that you can read the Rigveda in the original and compare it to the Homeric Hymns and whatnot.

>"Ibant obscuri sola sub nocte per umbram"

English: They went obscured under the lonely night in shadow.

French: Ils allaient obscurci sous la nuit seule en ombrage.

Old Occitan: Il anavan escurzi jos la nòit sol en ombratge.

>no Greek accents
cutting the Gordian knot I see.

Dimly, they went, beneath the lonely shadows of the night

The Rgveda are in 'ancient' Sanskrit, not Classical Sanskrit; I couldn't read the Rgveda.

I don't do accents - they're pretty much useless outside of verse.

My Qur'anic Arabic is as rusty as my Sanskrit:
> dhahabu makhafiiyuna taht al-lailati l-wahiidati khalaal azh-zhali
ذََحَبُا مَخَفِيُّنَ تَحْتْ آللَّيْلَةِ آلْوَحِيدَةِ

Oh I got another one

þei wended obscure under þe loonesome nighte þurȝ þe shadwes

Not him but that was a tip-top kek.

I've missed the last two words from the Arabic:
خَلَال أَظَلِ

> Anglo-Saxon
> 'obscure'
I'm sure 'night' was 'niht' too, and 'only' meant 'alone' (literally one-ly)

niggas be creeping through shadows and shit man, word is born man for real

>he thinks that's anglo-saxon

It's pseudo-Middle English. I'm sure a Middle Englishman could have read it but I'm also sure my spelling would have been a dialectical hodgepodge even in such a short sample. Middle English uses Latin words all the time, just like Early Modern English. "Night" is often spelled "night" in Middle English, see: the first 10 lines of Canterbury Tales. Lonesome you got me on, that's not recorded until the 17th century.

But basically it was a joke on how similar middle english is to modern english. It would be pretty stupid to say, for example, that you knew "two languages" because you knew modern English and could read Middle English pretty well.

"They went down, hidden, through the darkness, beneath only night."

The Egyptian translation is literally "perfective?-particle went-down hidden-ones in darkness under night alone."

Spanish: Iban oscurecidos por la sombra bajo la noche solitaria.

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet considering Spanish kept a lot of things very close to Latin. It's such a beautiful language really.

i speak eight languages. there must be some other polyglots here. or is this place just pure muricans?

I'm from argentina, and you do realize I gave a verbatim - that is, word for word - translation, and what I consider to be an accurate translation, do you not?

great translation in "nigga"

I learned some Arabic this year and I think there are some (small) errors in your translation. It's not as much a critique as an attempt to test my own abilities.

First, you write dhah.abaa for they go, which should be dhahabuu (ذَهَبُوا)

I'm not really sure on this one, but I think it should be makhafiina instead of makhafiiyuna (written the same, just different vocalisation)

Also, you wrote tah.t, which is correct in spoken MSA, but considering that you vocalised all the endings, should be tah.ta (تَحْتَ)

I think it's khilaala instead of khalaala

Finally, you wrote 'az.ali, which should be az.-z.illi (اَلظِّلِّ)

If I'm wrong anywhere, please correct me

Licet quodvis arbitreris, ingenuus Anglicanus sum, et nemo sanus utriusque linguae doctus transferret "ibant obscuri" "going obscure".

>argentinus
>albus

desu the aave was pretty unconvincing.

>tumsā viņi aizgāja, zem vientuļās nakts ēnām

Die Versteckten gingen unter Nacht durch den Schatten.

can germans correct my shitty deutsch. also, does unter take the accusative or dative in this case?
because its accusative if its movement and the men are moving, but i thought we use accusative only if it is moving from above to below.

ijjēdun hulanōz under selbaizōi nahti þurhw skadwą

acutally, would
>Die Versteckten gingen durch den Schatten unter Nacht.
be better word order?
thanks ive been studying german for 3 weeks

holy fuck

Iban con la oscuridad, subyacentes en la sombra.

Sota les ombres, fouen vers les tenebres.

Sie gingen einsam unter dem obskur Schatten.

I'm drunk and my German's a trash-pile, though, so I assure you that's in some way wrong.

Lmao I translated from the English because I don't speak dead elven languages, but I've no how these other Deutschos are managing their garbage without a 'Sie'.

be gigön sobei fa ödis solai nalit'hem umbar

彼らは隠れて孤独に影の下で暗闇を通りました。

Karera wa kakurete kodoku ni kage no shita de kurayami wo toorimashita.

They hidden and in solitude, beneath the shadows, through the darkness passed.

Dutch:
Zij gingen verborgen tijdens de eenzame nacht door de schaduw

It's verbatim, but it sounds somewhat odd.
A freer translation would be something like:

De verhulden bewogen zich door de schaduw van de eenzame nacht

i wrote this pile of steaming piss translation: >Sie gingen einsam unter dem obskur Schatten.
1. i know enough latin to know that its is "under the night" and "through the shadow" you have "under the shadow" and no mention of "light" or "though" whatsoever
2. like you im just going of the english in here, but i think "hidden" refers to the people, not the shade (how can shade be hidden?)
3. obskur is not hidden. this is what Duden says:
BEDEUTUNGSÜBERSICHT
[nicht näher bekannt und daher] fragwürdig, anrüchig, zweifelhaft

MEANING OVERVIEW
[not closely known and therefore] questionable, offensive (?), doubtful

beware of false cognates between german, latin and english. you should read a good list of common false cognates between german and english.

4. you forgot an adjective ending on "obskur" anyway. if you mean "obskur" as an adverb it shouldnt be between the article and the noun - and i dont think "obskur" can be used abverbally anyway. it should be "dem obkuren Schatten"

>I've no how these other Deutschos are managing their garbage without a 'Sie'
1. not deutsch. brit studying german for a few weeks.
2. instead of "they went hidden through the night under the shadow" a german (i think) would say "the hidden (ones) went through the night under the shadow".
verstecken = to hide
versteckten = hidden
Die Versteckten = the hidden (ones, people etc)
e.g. Die Alten sind klug = The old ones are clever

***disclaimer: my german is shit. if anyone knows better german please corrrect my translation and correct my corrections of this other guy***

Surprised no one has given a translation in Spanish yet.

Here's the translation I would do, just assuming the meaning when translating from English:
Fueron ocultados debajo de las sombras aislados.

That's in my best literary Spanish, like assuming the connotation of the passage (which I don't really know anything about).

It's a lot simpler if I were to do Latin to Spanish, however, I assume it would be like:
Fueron oscuramente debajo de las umbras solas.

That meaning is a little different when translated into modern Spanish though.

Lies, the verbatim English translation is
They went, hidden, lonely under night by shade.

Though of course you can't really connect lonely to night in this word-order in English.

Except the 'lonely' refers to the 'night', not to the people.

Like I said, you can't really connect lonely to night in this word-order in English.

When a Latin adjective qualifies a noun after a preposition, the adjective often comes before both.

The literal translation is
> They went obscured under lonely night through shadow

here is also my italian translation.
again directly from the english:
>They went hidden under the lonely night through the shade

>Andavano nascostamente nella notte unica nell'ombra.

.... or should it be "sotto la notte", and "pell'ombra", as it is in the latin?

在孤獨的夜晚下,他們暗暗地穿過暗影走

Or maybe go a bit more poetic
暗行孤夜影

Croatian: Išli su skriveni usamljenom noći pod sjenama

Dunno