Tfw just had it explained to me why Jonas knows the story of Theseus so well

>tfw just had it explained to me why Jonas knows the story of Theseus so well

FUCK ME, why didn't I think of it myself? But then it's so subtle. God, Wolfe is brilliant.

no one cares about your 'le epin secret reading', faggot

if he's so brilliant, why will i never read him?

No, it's obvious, you're just dim

What?

[Spoiler]Do you mean because he's an android from a period in time when the story of Theseus was still 'alive'?[/spoiler]

is that really what happens? jesus christ, i was right, it's just shitty sci-fi. thank god i never wasted my time or money on that.

No, it's because Jonas himself is a literal "Ship of Theseus." He's an android that's had his broken bits replaced by organic, human bits, right? So he lives the paradox, and his existence raises the same questions. Is he still the same android? Is he even an android at all any more? Is he human now? What makes something a human, anyway?

Are you the guy from my freshman philosophy class who kept pointing out how the parable of the cave is just like The Matrix?

Yeah, this and Dune seem to get trotted out a lot as "literary SF", but it's just the same genre bullshit, just competently written compared to other SF stuff.

>all those gay-ass questions
pff, im glad that part went over my head.

>plot matters
pleb alert

I don't remember that bit but yeah, I dig it.

He also literally gets beamed back up to his ship after he's fulfilled his mission.

The whole story is filed with cheeky little nods to the genre. It's meta-sci-fi, what do you expect?

deep, yo, deep.

really, is what makes it interesting to you that it's something simple like genre fiction that has a slight undercurrent of depth that's only unusual because it's genre fiction? You could get that out of all sorts of other works, and that just at face value, is that the sort of depth that Gene Wolfe fans talk about?

i dunno, with all the cocksucking it gets, something more than that, ffs.

he's talking about a referential theme, you idiot. it's hardly a plot point. i never even mentioned plot. don't get your projection gunk on me.

What about the complex and searching meditation on the nature of religion and story-telling and religion-as-story-telling? Not profound enough for you?

If that instance is an example of the type of "complex and searching meditation", then no. it's not profound enough for me at all, sadly.

I think this stuff is more like throwaway easter egg type stuff that pleases people to puzzle out.

I'm referring to the entire work, not a throwaway reference like the Ship of Theseus. I take it you haven't read it.

Diabolical quints of common sense and level headedness.

Don't bother OP, there's 18 year olds in this thread who shitpost on their McDonalds lunchbreak

no, and i never will. the more i hear about it, the less I want to.

Your loss. Why advertise it?

because i have the slight hope that the people who see something in it might actually mention something that makes it more interesting. sorry for inconveniencing you, user.

Do you live every aspect of your life on the recommendations of others?

yes, of course, that's what i do.

idk you tell me

Well, that got boring quickly. Guess I'll go read.

Kekd

i just marathoned the first 8 words of your post, what did i think?

>This is the best that Gene Wolfers can muster without getting bored

no wonder