Why is nuclear energy so bad? I'm pretty sure my country (Switzerland), France...

Why is nuclear energy so bad? I'm pretty sure my country (Switzerland), France, and Germany use it extremely successfully. You can occasionally even see these radioactive waste treatment centers from the highway.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pVbLlnmxIbY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It isn't. It's just fear mongering by lobby groups that affects people who aren't educated on the topic.

I agree with you but then why do so called "educational channels" like kurzgesagt state otherwise?

It depends a lot on how it's regulated and how the companies maintaining the plants behave.

>France, and Germany use it extremely successfully

Germany is phasing it out. France's Areva Corp who is the state-monopoly for Nuclear is bankrupt and requires billions of taxpayer money to stay solvent.

Until Nuclear becomes cheaper it will stay dead. Some options:

1. Higher Efficiency turbines. Super-critical or Brayton cycle turbines can bring efficiency to +40%

2. Cheaper Fuels. Switching to lower enriched Uranium or Thorium can dramatically bring down costs by being more abundant and require little/lower processing.

3. Compact designs and Digital Controls. Self explanatory.

4. Standardization on fewer models. Stop trying to create a zoo with each reactor having unique and special supplier requirements.

All of these proposals are being worked on with Generation IV reactors.

I work in the united states nuclear industry, right now here is a mandatory push towards normalizing the procedural work and unifying the plants so that consultants can have some similarity between plants. The hope of this is to reduce costs of major projects by having a common process industry wide.

We'll see how much it really helps

Areva Corp is having problems because 2008 recession, fukushima, and problems with sand monkeys in north africa.

France pays 18 cents per kwh, compared to 35 cents in Germany.

It's not bad. It's demonized by pseudo-environmentalists because anything that doesn't come from nature = bad

Here in Switzerland nuclear energy costs twice as much as it would cost to buy energy from germany. It's being phased out by 2050 but some people are pushing for a vote to get rid of it sooner.
I think it has its importance due to its strategical role in making us energy self-reliant, but very expensive

As a suede o scientist I think nuclear is not a valid "green" energy source because of the complications around its explosive radioactivity. When there is a problem it is fucking huge and more or less permanently fucks shit up.
Why can we not utilise more wind turbines, geothermal, solar, magnetic Tesla magic?

It really isn't, Japan is ridiculously anti-nuclear energy and even they concede to its benefits.

It was even a major theme for the new Godzilla movie of all things "sucks, but we have to live with it"

wtf is that smoke coming out of that big fat white chimney? wasnt nuclear energy supposed to be clean?

Excuse me?

youtube.com/watch?v=pVbLlnmxIbY

There's a matching video about how nuclear energy is bad, in order to avoid taking a stance

Personally I think easier green energy like wind, geothermal or solar can fill our immediate needs, but I do think mastering nuclear is important and part of that requires you using it for real to power your country. You can't put wind turbines in space.

>France pays 18 cents per kwh, compared to 35 cents in Germany.

You have to factor in the amount of public expenditures to Nuclear as well. France only pays less on paper, in reality they have spent farm more on Germany.

>right now here is a mandatory push towards normalizing the procedural work and unifying the plants

Devil's Canyon is still getting closed down by 2022 and Indian Point is in danger as well.

What worries me is the lack of development, research, and construction of new plants. Koreans, Indians, Russians, and Chinese are building like crazy with standardized models and long-term development plans. I don't see a plan here in the US for nuclear energy. Hopefully a Republican administration will be able to do something about it.

>Personally I think easier green energy like wind, geothermal or solar can fill our immediate needs

It is never happening. The energy-density is far too low, capacity factor can't hit above 25% in scale, and storage is an expensive nightmare.

Even if Wind and Solar grow 1000x in the next 10 years (not happening) which would be astronomical and well above any predictions, it wouldn't even make a dent in global energy usage. Electric Cars are only going to make things more difficult as electricity needs are going to go up. Greenies only like talking about capacity factor and never actual generation, which is how you end up with pic related despite hundreds of billions in investments.

Either the US starts acting now or they will find themselves lagging behind while China, Russia, India, and Korea become a nuclear-powered society and US is left with a bunch of expensive and hard to maintain wind and solar farms. Hooked up to the most expensive and convoluted grid the world has ever seen to try and accommodate such a distributed grid with storage.

That's just water vapour

Many anti-nuclear people actually think this

Looks like the same smoke from when I burn water.

>There's a matching video about how nuclear energy is bad, in order to avoid taking a stance

That's because nuclear energy isn't all sunshine and rainbows. I don't know shit of course, but if there is a method to make nuclear waste decay faster, nuclear energy would be seen under a better light. Until the next accident happens at least.

Thorium. We have far better alternatives that don't produce weapon material.