Can we agree that anyone who doesnt think that pic related is one of the greats either

Can we agree that anyone who doesnt think that pic related is one of the greats either
>has never stepped a foot in latin america.
>reads him in any language other than spanish
>is a tryhard contrarian

Yeah I read it in English but that doesn't change the fact that the subject matter was a bunch of Mexicans banging their relatives in banana fields and there was literally a character named 'Meme'

Was getting triggered until you mentioned "Meme", then I just lost it

Nigga thats point one and two, how uncommon do you really think banging your relatives in banana fields is down here.

>tfw have relatives i want to bang
>no banana fields at walking distance
this land has only given me the worst, why live

Im mexican
I read it on spanish
I hate cien años with a passion because it's unsatisfying on all levels. Not even when the worst characters died did i felt good. Yeah, i guess it's summarizes latin america neatly (being mostly an autobiographic work) But what is it that makes it a great book?

The poetry it contains is amazing, the structure of the entire book is pretty neat. The way it translates living in latin america is superb, specially when it talks about how alone we are, so far away from history, still dealing with war and ideology in a way that only we know. Living in latin america (talking from a south american angle) can feel so dreamy at times, and i think that's why magical realism is so common around these parts. We live with western culture, but in a strange way, it's like queer things are happening every minute, but only we can see it, because the rest of the world doesn't care.

I'm Spanish

Didn't you like the precious vocabulary, exquisite grammar and brilliant style of the book?

I think it's astonishing

I'm from Argentina.

I thought it was unrewarding, but also unappealing, it's pretty much all the bad things about magical realism in a book, mixed with latino shitty themes, exalting all the bad things about the other shitty countries in this continent, and the shitty people that live there.

If you want to read someone that can actually use the language the way it's meant to, read borges, he's not only the only great writer from south america, but also able to use magical realism (if you can even call what he does that), and talk about the populace without making you want to throw the book out the window.

You are a fucking idiot.

love in the time of cholera has to be one of my favorites of all time (english).

it wasnt spectacular in any way but i just felt cozy the whole time reading it.

It's stylish, no doubt. But the content, the book feels like jackin' off and ruining your orgasm because you wanna keep jackin

>I'm from Argentina
>hypes Borges

Yeah, good for you guys for desperately clinging onto the only person of worth to ever come out of your country
Also the magical realism of Marquez and Borges is completely fucking different, not really comparable. Marquez just has far more of a biblical feeling (intentional since the book was structured off of the Bible) whereas Borges is more of a mathematical, intellectual form of Escher manipulation

kek

also this is correct

Borges work is transparent in letting out how he never set a foot outside of his house.

Cortazar is comparable to garcia mierda, in that they both suck, sarmiento, bioy casares, arlt, etc, all are superior.

And of course they are absolutely different, it's the point, GGM is taking the worst aspects of magical realism, pure emotional irrationality, and amplifying them, where borges takes the mindscrew that forces you to contemplate but actually remembers to make a story. And he doesn't wallow in the worst aspects of south american cultures and pretend they are good or beatyfull.
Having one of the top writers in all of history is enough really, history is a very long time

Borges is an ominous Cortazar trying to sound academic.

Senpai I don't think you realize that the landscapes and scenes constructed of pure emotion is what Marquez is all about. It's just a stylistic thing, the entire point of magical realism is that it can't really be compared within itself. Also you can't accuse him of not having a fucking story and then turn a blind eye to the same thing with Borges either you fucking pelotudo

And what makes you think that Marquez is glorifying the aspects of culture that he writes about; none of them are portrayed in a particularly positive light

Cortazar is a retard trying to make the books borges describes and failing miserably, the only reason he's even mentioned on the same tier as borges is because of the deep butthurt socially minded retards have of how the greatest argentine writer disregarded those issues as irrelevant.

Borges can be accused of a lot of things, but never of a) not having stories, maybe you were too stupid to understand them, but all his stories had a proper structure, name one that doesn't and b) the whole point is that this "emotional" stories are pretty shit.
The themes borges deals with are of a higher value than "muh history and cultural feelings of isolation"

>muh
I hope you realize how much of an imbecile you sound writing this.

>The themes borges deals with are of a higher value.

Borges is alright, but his takes on «higher value themes» comes down to pretty shitty philosophy. Cortázar strips himself of any trace of pretentiousness.

It seems you are easily swayed by solemn language.

Idk about argentina even though it has had its fair share of bad times but the worst aspects of other shite countries of the continent are what makes it so relatable to everyone else. I mean south america is a transvesti of a continent born from the pillaging of an ancestral culture and the forceful imposition of occidental values on top of it, with south american people as an allegory of it all because most of us are actually mixed from natives, black slaves and european migrants. And even after you take into account all of the pain this continent has endured its still a strikingly beatiful place that feels so isolated but so alive at the same time, with different countries but at the same time so wildly similar to each other and only to each other. Idk garcia marquez captures that well at least for the rest.

>butthurt Spanish speakers trying desperately to pretend their literature matters

kek

What's El Aleph's story? And how is it not a poor excuse to present a concept worthy of Thomas Aquinas bullshit noncognitivism. Higher value theme?

El Aleph is pretty good, but it sins in parallel ways to Cortázar writings. You're just being a contrarian, porteño.

I understood the stories just fine you ass, I'm saying that Marquez has just as much of a story as Borges does and to say one doesn't while the other does is inane

Also to say that the themes Borges deals with are "more sophisticated" is basically arbitrary and meaningless

You are the one strawmaning pretentiousness onto him, there was no philosophy since no concept had any thought around them, they were just expansions of stuff you talk about with a friend (bioy casares) at the table at night after dinning, infinity, recurrence, labyrinths and nigger knife fighting for some reason, insomnia.

Borges is so good because he doesn't attach any shitty philosophy to anything he writes.

Let's not discuss language because it's just unfair, borges was superb, not even a , in excess

Argentina, and mainly buenos aires and the surrounding areas, have no pillaged ancestral culture, we kind of murdered the entire indian population and the blacks didn't survive either, they barely show signs in traces of language and dances.
And since we are so closee to the rest of the continent, i can tell you there is nothing beautifull or distant, just broken shit countries and the broken shit people that live there.

Borges has stories, the entire point of most of the magical realism writers was to wash away with the concept of stories that made sense from a rational point of view.
There is nothing appealing about how stupid and backwards latin american countries are.

It's funny how you try to sound so iluminated, but at the same time fail to realize that dealing with what you call higher value themes leads to a kitsch mentality. La vida es también la mierda.

>infinity, recurrence, labyrinths
All of those dealt with in a bogus way. To say there's no philosophy attached is to be blind or intelectually dishonest. His dealings with those themes is noncognitivist, which is to say it doesn't make any sense, it merely sounds beautiful.

You seem to be getting stuck on the whole Latin America thing way too much and I fail to understand why

But anyway, you seem to be focusing on a very small part of Marquez and assuming that because it annoys you somehow you'll be petulant about it and compare it to the whole of Borges' oeuvre

>And since we are so closee to the rest of the continent, i can tell you there is nothing beautifull or distant

Nigga where the fuck exactly have you been in latin america. Shit thats close like lagos del sur, bariloche isnt beatiful? Likewise Titicaca, Machu picchu, Colca canyon the amazon river and an infinity of other places in the continent dont seem real for the sheer beauty they possess thats why magical realism makes sense in this context and only this context, the line between whats real and whats not doesnt exist here.

I've been to bariloche, salta, the rivers and islands in the parana river.

They are nice to look at, but they don't make me question the nature of reality, it's just a god damn natural scenery. Magical realism makes sense in that it's what people that see a fucking lake and start tripping shit would write, a lake is a lake, not an extension of the cosmos and the concept of time space.

up it goes

holy shit BTFO

how can spic lit ever recover?

You clearly don't understand latin america, or doesn't want to - too biased, european wannabe, like all argentines.

Why read him when you have better spics like Borges, Arlt, Rulfo, Bolaño and Carpentier?

no we cant.

one can easily pass his work and still nothing of value would be lost.

I'm from Argentina and think this is false flagging bait.