So all you wannabe writers, what do you plan on doing for money until you publish?

So all you wannabe writers, what do you plan on doing for money until you publish?

I think I'll just stumble across all the money I need to survive for the next four years, along with a house. After that, I just need to write the great american novel, publish it, get famous, and I'm good.

I doubt many wannabe writers here expect to make a living from their work if it gets published.

>children who think being published means any sort of money whatsoever

Nabokov was paid 40 pounds for the first full run of Despair, his 5th published novel.

I cannot believe how incredibly tiny their heads are
Especially the man with the bib

I plan to kill myself and bank on my death bringing in fame.

Sell used and moderately rare books on ebay, sell my photos to housewives (shitty pictures of Paris I took a when I was in college, "artsy" pictures of my uncle's land in the fall", "restore" furniture (read, simple refinishing or polishing), and write like mad.
I actually pull about 18k a year doing all of that, and with my wife's income from a real job we rake in just under 70k a year.

>Assuming I'll get published
>Kek

weld

I will continue to live with my parents and work par time forever, but as long as I'm following my dream by working on my novel they can't get mad. I've got it made.

Yup. For a modern example, Tao Lin only got paid $30,000 for Taipei. That's a lot more, but for presumably 2 or 3 years of work, it's shit.

Write ads and other junk for companies.

Or take over my Grandfathers real estate business. I do technically own 1/6 of it.

part time wagecuck, never work full time if you want to be creative.

What does your wife's son do?

Various freelance work:
- transcription is pretty nice, learn interesting interviews, good exposure to things while getting paid
- web design and development pays well for little work if you are smart about it
- anything pay per task like mechanical turk is fine too to fill in short gaps of time

I also help a family business on occasion with IT related things whenever a job arises.

I'm pretty frugal and minimalist in general, at one point I lived for a year on my own for roughly $200 per month. Right now I'm back neeting with my parents so can't complain, although it's making me complacent.

Mainly whatever allows me to have a large degree of control over my schedule.

welfare

>bib
that's a dickey you moron

I'd love to go full bohème. Still need to work on some of the more practical details, though.

Aspiring novelist here.

After college I worked part-time for a while and hated it, then worked full-time job and hated it even more. After close to three years of working full-time I quit and I'm currently sleeping in my car, showering at a nearby swimming pool and spending most of each day at different libraries (public libraries don't stay open long and the college library is hard to sneak into). I've been living like this since June and it's really not that bad. The feeling of waking up knowing I have complete control over my day is so great. I hated allowing the majority if my time to be dictated by others. I'm 56k words into a novel I'm pretty happy with. It likely won't make any money if published but having a copy in my hand will make it all worthwhile. It's literally my sole ambition right now.

Live in poverty.

It's not so bad, really. You work harder.

How old are you?

Where do you live?

Are you me? Except, I'm living in Taiwan.

28, UK. Started writing about a year ago, make music, bit of photography, bit of art. My expenses are food and utilities, expenses are around £5,000 a year. Never been happier.

I have no intentions of living post-publishing, so nothing.

Where in the UK?

How do you make money?

We don't have kids, and have no plans to have any. That also helps our money go a lot farther, kids are some expensive shit. Some of our friends from college have kids now, and even though they have STEM meme bux they don't get to spend much of it as they please.

>5k a year
Do you live in the north?

North, and music sales.

>music sales

What does that mean in layman's terms?

You work in HMV or something?

No I make music and sell it online. Been composing/producing since I was 19.

Nice. What kind of music?

EDM junk just for the income, few 8-bit things have sold relatively well considering their niche appeal, then there's a bunch of DnB, Jungle, couple of Hip-Hop "beats" that haven't done particularly well. From what I understand it's the most oversaturated area, second only to EDM. I compose classical stuff just for my own entertainment, don't plan on selling any.

More interested in writing now, anyway.

whats in those tubes
nice quads

srsly guys whats in those tubes
glue?

I used to think just starve and never finish it.

Now that I have a good job as a professional copywriter at an agency I have the opposite problem, where I'm financially good, but too mentally drained to write.

I'm working an office job right now so I don't have much to worry about but I've got this need to write a novel that people want to read almost as bad as this need I have to stick my dick between plump cheeks.

Quit my job and started working as a freelance copywriter. I charge between $50-100usd/hr so I only have to work a few hours a week. (I charge less than I actually work, but it's still not that bad.) Left Canada for Spain. Super cheap here. Casablanca in a month, then Kiev.

Hey, any tips on freelance copywriting?

I did it for awhile, made $400, and got bored. Thinking of getting back at it since I need the cash

How do you sell your music?

Teach English in college in a Tenure Track job.

I'll just live like a poor bum, and if i don't get published I imagine I'll keep writing until I get sick of it all and blow my brains out.

Stealing babies and selling them on the online black market.

We do wholesale live, tinned, dried, and choice cuts.

Stealth shipping; all babies are sealed in soundproof packaging.

Various colours available.

Find us on The Agora; our seller profile is "Ethical Pork Alternatives"

you do batter fried? You can get that sweet batter and make a hush-baby

Got a part-time delivery job right now, pretty cozy, but I'm trying to find a job in advertising or copywriting. Not too worried about it, finished the first draft of my novel a couple months ago before I turned 24 and I live at home.

Sucks to see all my friends making more money than me, though.

Find good clients, develop a personal style, know how to market your work so that it gets the client attention. I've gotten pretty good at Facebook ad targeting which is one of the reasons I can charge more than the average Tom, Dick & Harry.

Would stay away from social media marketing gigs though, companies don't place a lot of value in them and the pay is commensurably shit.

i think it was 50 actually

Working part-time at Whole Foods keeps my lights on.

Do Authors get a form of pay from their book sales? I thought thats also how that worked. Cash upfront then a small portion of the sales.

bruh your music would be perfect for million dollar extreme. World Peace's track list is almost completely fan made and Adult Swim will pay out for tunes they use in their show, even if they only use a few seconds

muscle rub?