How to write gun descriptions without making the readers bored...

How to write gun descriptions without making the readers bored ? "Is weapon of choice was a HK G3 with retractable stock and chambered in 5.56 ammo an fairly common ammo type in the City"

not enough detail user. tell us more about this weapon.

"Is weapon of choice was a HK g3 magna-blasto with retractable stock, 9-inch steel barrel and chambered in 5.56 ammo an fairly common ammo type in the City, pop. 12,347, a popular gun in the neighborhood, often sold out in the wintertime... 'is gun of choice"

using the wrong caliber is a good way to keep people interested

Fix your grammar first.
"Is [His] weapon of choice was a HK G3 with retractable stock and chambered[-]in 5.56 ammo [, a ] fairly common ammo type in the City."
If your reader can't handle one short sentence about a firearm, I doubt they'll read your story.

Don't write them. It's a fucking gun, why would anyone care about the model or calibre? As a person that knows little about guns, that whole sentence is meaningless to me.

Matthew Reilly unironically does it well

Don't list off brand names, models and calibres. It's meaningless to people who don't know much about guns. If you're going to make the effort to describe the gun at all, describe it's form, and it's function. Talk about the length, the colour, the crenellations of the dovetail railings, what sort of situation a gun like this is used in, etc.

>the City

>His weapon of choice was a fully automatic baby-killing assault rifle.

it helps if you actually shoot guns or know fuck all about them
take thomas harris from red dragon. Will graham carried a
>charter arms .44 bulldog with a mag na port barrel, bobbed hammer and a good set of fat grips
he could have just said carried a police issue revolver and called it a day but gave it some more razzle dazzle. He did this in the other books too, saying clarice used tape to turn her 1911 into a race gun
if you dont know anything about guns it sounds very cool and real, rather than generic. If you do know anything about guns you'll pick up on this and feel the writer has actually done some research

also depends on the type of book you're writing too. is it centralised around the weapons or something? does a character just happen to have a weapon because the story has escalated to that point?

The best thing to do is usually avoid these things unless it's important to the story itself. A chromed out 1911 is something to write about (also fucking stupid and impractical) but your average .38 revolver should be described as such.

>G3
>5.56
TRIGGERED

The additional description needs to be worth something.
The only reason you should describe the weight of a sizeable handgun (like a .44 hog leg) is if you're going to beat someone with it or the big round is going to be needs later to do something like blow a padlock off. The only reason you'd need to talk about a collapsible stock is if you have to extend it to use it like a melee weapon later. Any gun can be used to kill, but the added description or options needs to serve a purpose.

I was born to kill.

In the Ciiiiiity, where I'm from, they shoot you down if you run. . .

I'd stay away from even attempting anything beyond e.g. "compact nine millimeter" or "snubnose pistol" unless you're writing for an audience of gun nuts and/or from the perspective of a character who's familiar with firearms.

Also you should probably make sure you actually know what you're talking about first, everybody knows the G3 is chambered in 7.62 NATO.

What's a patrician firearm?

If I wanted to leave the ranks of nogunz AND set myself apart from the posturing pseuds, what kind of gun should I buy?

I fired a gun once, a .357, and I liked how loud and heavy it was. There was something deeply satisfying about the knowledge that anything slow moving and less than five feet away was at my mercy ;)

>The only reason you should describe the weight of a sizeable handgun (like a .44 hog leg) is if you're going to beat someone with it or the big round is going to be needs later to do something like blow a padlock off.
I disagree, the description of the gun can have symbolic meaning for characters (e.g. a character is compensating for something by using an impractically large gun, old fashioned and uses a revolver, etc.)

Unless it's a description being written out verbatim or in the dialogue of a character who would make a point of going into great depth when talking about firearms.

The 1911 is pretty patrician imo.

More like, "He carried the light black rifle common in those parts, it's stock folded against its body and hanging from a lanyard sling beneath his right arm."

fuck, "its"

>muh big gun tiny penis
a rich, deep literary device