Is eliminating all carbs the best way to lose weight when it comes to dieting or it just a myth...

Is eliminating all carbs the best way to lose weight when it comes to dieting or it just a myth? I want to stop being bigly

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5F5o0a4p_3U
69.73.1.82/bg/COL-ALL/index.html?policy=1899&policyname=COL-ALL&time=1484352804&url=http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/207071.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Eliminating carbs is not the best way unless you mean just cutting out white bread and white pasta then yes that's a good start.

"Carbs" is pretty broad, but yes, eliminating breads and other high-carb foods does make it easier to meet your protein requirements and get adequate micronutrients without going over your calorie limits. Timing your meals correctly and drinking a lot of water with your food also helps with satiety.

Keep in mind unless you want to have a really unhealthy diet you can't *eliminate all carbs*. I mean like, broccoli and peas and beans and stuff - that's carbs. You want to be eating stuff like that. But eliminating the stereotypical stuff is probably what you had in mind, yes.

Also, stimulants and nicotine patches can be useful. Exercise also keeps you energized and alert, which helps compensate for the sensation of having less carbs in your system, although if you are currently sedentary, jumping to an active lifestyle is going to fuck with your satiety in the short term, as well as making it somewhat more difficult to accurately figure out your TDEE, until you've gotten used to it.

Eliminating carbs works, but not why most people think.

All that really matters overall is Calories In (eating) VS. Calories Out (exercise + base metabolic rate)

The reason cutting carbs works is because they contain more calories than any other food by volume typically so you are forced to replace those foods with fats, protein and insoluble fibers which have less and better calories but also slowly digest so you feel fuller longer

If anyone sees any inaccuracies in this, correct me; I used to be a nutrition expert like 10 years ago and going off of memory that has been destroyed by alcohol abuse and TBI's lol

>eliminating carbs matters
>carbs don't matter all that really matters is calories in calories out
>the reason other stuff matters is blah blah blah

Make up your mind, is it realistic to go on a diet of sugar donuts and water, or does my body actually need protein, fat, and various micronutrients?

If the reason you're fat is because of insulin and metabolic problems, then yes it could be a good idea to lower your carb amount and where you're getting them from e.g. from leafy greens, berries, cheese, etc instead of from pasta, bread, very sugary fruit (banana), potatoes and increasing your fat intake (because it is filling - carbs aren't "filling" for some people because if they react harshly with insulin due to metabolic disorder it suppresses leptin which is the "feel full" hormone) such as with coconut oil, fat from meat, butter, cream, and so on
You shouldn't go out of your way to add fat, just cook veg in fat, eat fatty cuts of meat, fatty fish, etc and it will help you be satiated.

How much you need to cut carbs (if you are sensitive to them) really depends on you. Some people get to a normal weight at 100g per day, some need to restrict to

This is not true, considering sugar and starch (which is broken down to sugar when digested) stimulates insulin which suppresses leptin (hormone that lets you know you're full), and signals to store fat instead of using it - making you feel even hungrier because you don't have access to stored fuel.

For many people this isn't an issue, because they have a "normal" response to glucose (though they're actually in the minority in the US), but people with metabolic disorders (most fatties) they are much more sensitive to it. The fact that you were an expert ten years ago says a lot. They were still following the Keyes seven country study and actually believing it.

I'd suggest you watch "Sugar: the bitter truth" which is a lecture given on the topic by someone who's been doing their own research for about the amount of time you've been out of the "loop".

The reason cutting carbs works is because you don't trigger insulin release as much, which means leptin isn't suppressed, which means you aren't as hungry, and you have access to your body fat for usage which means you're body isn't signalling to eat as much.
This is generally why fatties eat so much, their body is constantly telling them they're hungry because most of the calories they're eating is getting stored. You really don't want to have sugar in your blood, so your body either 1) uses it first or failing that and there's still more 2) stores it as fat

Really, just read into the latest research on carbs, fat, keto compared to other diets for weight loss and long term weight management, management of type 2 diabetes (basically a severe expression of metabolic disorder) with low carb diet, etc
Can link some places to go to if you'd like as well.

No, do exercise you lazy fuck.

Of course it does you mong.
Losing weight is always Energy in Vs. Energy Out.

You could realistically use lose weight on a diet of donuts and water (and also vitamin supplements). Look up the Twinkie diet if you want to see an example of this.
Now the reason this most likely wont work is that for you the eat, for example, 2000kCal a day in donuts would leave you hungry most of the time since you would only consume around 6-700 grams total of easily digested carbs that will not take much energy to convert to energy. You would also experience severe insulin spiking that would leave you even hungrier shortly after eating your donut.

What said is entirely correct:
By cutting carbs you will have to consume less energy dense food that will keep you satiated for longer. This is the simplest way to actually lose weight since it is self limiting in the amount of food you would be need to eat and the amount of food you will cheat on your diet with, because of the massive insulin spikes that will leave hungry almost immediately after eating.

However you would be better of by replacing the carbs you are currently eating with other, more complex carbs, like brown rice and whole grain pasta. You should also try to try to keep your intake of fibrous veg high, as that will help you stay full longer.

>Of course it does
>The reason it won't work though is

Like I said before, make up your mind

You just need to LIMIT your sugar and carb intake, not eliminate it (or at least wean yourself off it instead of going cold turkey).

Eat more soluble fiber and lean meats (fish, chicken), and limit your alcohol intake as well. If you can completely cut soda out of your diet, you're making good strides (that's where it started for me).

Are you being obtuse on purpose?
I just said that it was realistic and could work, but i really fucking doubt someone who is dumb enough to consider going on a donut diet would be disciplined enough to actually stick to it.

yes

>Losing weight is always Energy in Vs. Energy Out.

no. you are not a fire. your body does different things if you eat 1000 calories of chicken versus 1000 calories of bread.

Funny thing about the Twinkie Diet is the dude was eating 173 carbs per day which is 130 less than the US recommends per day, and 230 less than the average american eats per day.
He also lost 27 pounds total, sure, but 6 of that was of lean muscle mass (not enough protein in what he was eating to maintain his muscles), which is about 20 total or 2 pounds per week which was doing down over time - meaning he would have stalled out even though he was eating 1500 calories - much less than he normally would/is recommended.

Not only that, but you also have to consider that some of that 20 pounds is going to be water weight - which is used up first (it's stored glucose) which always comes off very fast because energy from glucose is used up faster than energy from fat (dietary or from the body.
With any "crash diet" you'll see a significant loss in the first week from weight loss, then a minor loss, then it slows to basically nothing (which is where people usually quit).
I lost 7 pounds in my first week, for example, obviously from water weight but the difference here is that I was eating very low carb and my weight loss never slowed from 2 lbs a week (and it's still going at that rate, 6 months later).

The thing about studies is you have to actually read them, and figure out if their premise is sound or not.
Sure twinkies aren't healthy by any means, but he was eating half the amount of carbs as the average american - it isn't low carb for sure but it certainly isn't high either.

A lot of these studies are either paid for by sugar industry shills (which they've been doing for decades, you might have seen a slew of articles on this last year) or poorly thought out. Either way the only way to know is to actually read the studies, see who is paying for them, and seek out other studies and compare them.

Weight loss is not only a result of calories in calories out but also the hormones released as a result of what you ate.

No, you're the one being obtuse.

People need to stop saying "calories in/calories out is all that matters"

As you've admitted twice now, it is not all that matters

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, let's talk about macro ratios. Macro ratios AND calories are the most important things for body recomposition in the short term

Besides that, getting generous amounts of your stereotypical nutrient-dense foods (dark leafy greens, blueberries, red bell peppers, and so on) ensures that your body can maintain itself as effectively as possible under the stress of a sustained calorie deficit, meaning you'll be sick less often, and you're more likely to stick to the plan

For example, if you eat a fuck ton of carbs as is recommended you may find your blood sugar spiking, wherein insulin is released, you feel hungrier faster, and you cannot use stored fat as insulin tells the cells to lock it up until the sugar is used or stored (and the sugar being used up never happens if you're eating a high amount of it meaning that the pounds keep piling on).

Eat a shit ton of protein and you'll experience gluconeogenesis which means the production of new glucose from excess protein that your body doesn't need.

Eat a lot of fructose or excess alcohol and you'll get fatty liver, or nonalcoholic fatty liver.

Eat a lot of fat, and you'll feel disgustingly full after a while (assuming not paired with carbs), as it has almost no effect on insulin and thus feelings of hunger. This is why some people go on "fat fasts" to lower basal insulin levels when insulin sensitive but also not feel hungry during the (not technically a) fast.

Don't eat ANYTHING for a while, and assuming your basal insulin isn't high you'll start to burn body fat, or body glucose, you'll experience a nail polish like taste on the mouth as a result of the fat breaking down, and so on.

The food you put in your body matters. It isn't just calorie density, it's nutrient density, hormones involved in the process, and so forth.

This isn't only true for weight loss, but health in general. People have been getting lied to with paid studies for decades, and they never actually look IN DEPTH into the topic themselves, or they did 10 years ago.

The science has been updated. Actually read it.

Yeah i know that the twinkie diet is shit. I mentioned it because the OP asked about a donut based diet, which would be realistic if his only goal was simply loosing weight.

I never said that in/out is ALL that matters.
My point is that that, for the vast majority of people, if the goal is simply losing weight. Then focusing on the amount of calories that are consumed would be priority number one. Of course, how you get those calories is also matter of importance, but is metabolically secondary to how much energy he consumes.
The OP did not mention body re-composition, so i assume that he has no muscle mass that he would want to preserve.

This is stupid, diet is far more important than exercise. Do you understand how much work you have to do to burn 500 calories as opposed to simply not eating those 500 calories?

A calorific deficit caused by eating less is the best way to lose weight.

this. for losing or gaining weight diet>excersize. That being said, for weight loss do cardio. Also, stop by Veeky Forums, read the sticky.
>

Eat less exercise much more rinse and repeat

expect a pound a week and being soar with no real free time ... Let reality hit

Honestly caloric intake is going to come into play sooner or later and its just going to be best to eat basic beans and grains from now on to keep in shape period for health reasons intend on eating loads of leafy greans as if its your favorite thing in life next to breathing

Chewing is readily overlooked unfortunately digestion begins with saliva and follows in the stomach finaly in the gut youll need the bacteria to keep you healthy just the same good luxk youll need it as your ask a very basic question which leads you to sound like a total ass backward reject much like the image posted

I cut out all excessive processed sugary foods, processed ready made meals, fast food, fatty treats and soda and switched to predominantly plant based diet and I lost 22kgs in less than a year with light exercise.

I still eat carbs (potatoes, broccoli, beans etc) in the natural form but I don't eat processed filth anymore. Soda makes me cringe and the sight of a McDonalds makes me physically ill.

If a previously depressed, fat loser like me can lose weight and completely change their diet/lifestyle for the better, you can too. Just quit the shitty foods, eat a more plant based diet and don't be afraid to have a tiny treat once a fortnight to keep you motivated.

The key to weight loss is seriously just calories in calories out. Count your calories, eat less, and you will lose weight

Yes. Yes it is. Switch to a ketogenic diet. You still want to eat 20-30g of carbohydrates per day derived solely from vegetables. You need the fiber and vitamins from them still.

My story:
5'11", 190 male, late 30's, type 1 diabetic. I switched to keto with a 250-300 kcal deficit. In under 6 months I weighed 165 lbs. Very little muscle loss. About a month in, I stopped counting calories and only ate when I was hungry, yet continued to lose fat anyway because my hunger levels stabilized along with my lower insulin requirements for metabolism.

At 6 months, I switched to low-carb with approximately 50g per day and an increased protein and started lifting. Weight lifting levels of protein knocks you out of ketosis, as they convert to sugars. Put on 20 lbs of lean muscle, currently stand at 185 lbs with a 10-12% BF. Still at it after a year. All health metrics improved according to lab tests: heart rate, blood pressure, cholesterol levels, A1c hemoglobin, etc.

It's easy as shit and i feel great all of the time. Remember, I did this in hard mode with a fully manual insulin-injection metabolism. Yes, refined carbohydrates are evil, and refined sugars are the devil. Other diet-based methods of weight loss are clearly possible, but they are more difficult and require constant mind-over-matter techniques to fight your biology.

Cutting out breads and most potatos besides sweet and white potatos wheat is just sugar just switch to almond flour "breads" if you still want to carby taste

All carbs are trash but slow carbs don't spike your insulin as much

Is oat meal cooked in water just as bad as toasted bread in the morning?

No. Oats have a lower glycemic index than wheat flours and do not cause as much of a spike in insulin production.

You know what, I'm going to soften my condemnation of refined sugars a little bit. Eating them on the regular is what's bad. Everybody should have a treat once in a while. That's part of being a happy, healthy human being. I usually do eat a portion of desserts on holidays and birthdays and shit. Don't want to come across as a hardliner retard.

Didn't read any above replies cause you're all probably wrong.

Here is how you lose weight.
> Eat food, mostly vegetables, not too much
> Move more

You simply need to exhale more carbon atoms from your body than you take in, so count your calories and exercise.

If you want to be healthy, variety is key.

If you just want to lose weight, eat whatever you want, just don't go over on the calories.

If you want to do the keto diet, enjoy colon cancer later in life.

>Is eliminating all carbs the best way to lose weight

No, it's just the current fad diet.

Eat less. Exercise more. Problem solved.

It's pretty reliable, most of the fuck my shit up food is full of carbs

Of course if you do a bit of math you can count calories

What was your typical diet when starting out as in meals? E.g. eggs and bacon for breakfast

Calories vs Calories out is all you need

If you think you can eat eggs and bacon daily for breakfast you should kill yourself.

Low carb diets are for lazy people that don't want to incite any actual change.

Eat a range of foods. Most of what you eat should be vegetables.

Put in some fucking effort instead of gorging yourself with tons of meat and then running around telling everyone you've got it all figured out.

Calling it ketogenic doesn't make it any more than a low carb diet. I'll let you in on a little secret. Overwhelmingly, the weight loss on a keto diet is due to less calories, not the ketogenic state of your body.

>goy!!stop ze keto and primal NOW. DON YOU FUCKING DARE TO STOP CHEWING THE CARBS!!

Lmao anally cucked jews. Keto into primal is redpilled.

This.

youtube.com/watch?v=5F5o0a4p_3U

>Eat less. Exercise more. Problem solved.

no, actually, this is terrible advice and you should stop giving it

>keto
>primal
>cucked
>jews
>redpilled

Memes 2 dank for the cidf?

>Memes
>dank
>cidf

Pro universal guide to lsoe weight:
>Stop eating like a fat fuck
>Eat zero butter/oil/whatever is mostly fat, unless you really need it to not destroy your frying pan
>No sugar unless you need it to eat a yoghurt

if you're not able to do that, then you're a weak-willed scum and don't deserve to find a getaway solution

Wrong

>no arguments
Lay down the sugary carbs boyo

>arguments

I never said that you autist. I gave an example.

If you are so triggered then fuck off

Lots of variation in low-carb vegetables. Be creative. Yes, eggs are good. Bacon, full fat dairy, cheese, nuts and seeds, olive oil, butter, fish, chicken (thighs are perfect). I avoid other types of vegetable oils because of trace transfats. Avocados are great. I buy single-ingredient things, mostly. Cooking meals is basically the same, just don't use the carbs/starches. A lot of the best traditional dishes are already low carb (think coq au vin, beef bourguignon, texas chili) but all you have to do it think about it a little to make anything so. It's easy to eat at restaurants, too, if you're not dumb about it.

No, I was definitely in a state of ketosis for a good 6 months at first. I already have the urine test strips and blood glucose monitor and all that shit for the beetus. I was very strict with it. When you're in that state of metabolism AND you get some cardio, you will burn fat so ridiculously fast. This is an absolutely viable energy source, too. Apparently many endurance athletes are ditching the carb-load thing for ketosis. I said I switched out of ketosis into plain low-carb for the weight training after I lost all my chub. And of course that's why it works for the most part. However, insulin spikes fuck with your hunger cycle, especially if you're overweight. Doubly so when you're insulin-dependent and every damn shot you fuck up just a little bit, your blood glucose and insulin levels yo-yo. Because our metabolisms are hormone based and not simple thermodynamic physics based, a calorie is not a calorie, dingo. I know this better than most. To be sure, you can fail to lose fat on a ketogenic diet by grossly overeating, but it is a hell of a lot harder to do so. It takes a force-feeding effort. All your snark doesn't change the fact that I went from overweight to fit in a year while still having a chronic metabolic disease. It works.

In a post truth world, the best way to make your waist great again is to just eat as much as you want of whatever makes you happy and be sure to tweet about it!

LITERALLY

COUNT

CALORIES

It is a solution for people whose systems are already subverted anyway. It is a crash diet/lifestyle which tend to be unsustainable.

In a post truth world, not all calories are the same though.

Set yourself a daily caloric limit and stay under it.
Counting calories over time you will naturally begin to eliminate a lot of stuff from your diet as you get a feel for how much satiety a food provides vs. its caloric content.

quit being a dolt

69.73.1.82/bg/COL-ALL/index.html?policy=1899&policyname=COL-ALL&time=1484352804&url=http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/207071.php

>calorie
>unit of heat energy
>not all calories are the same

I think you mean not all sources of calories are the same, but a calorie is a fixed measure of heat energy and therefore every calorie provides the same amount of energy

Just eat oats and rice instead of cuck pasta then you probably won't even want to eat more food

They are also fat because they are stupid enough to listen to what their body wants instead of just counting the calories

Sad!

Purée caulliflower for a mashed potatoe substitute and do a quick blend for a substitute for rice

Sub zucchini noodles for pasta

These two subs has reduced my carb intake 10 fold for a week and has pretty much removed weight gain

I find after one mouthfull of this stuff im wasted..and its cheap..
Is it safe for me to be drinking this stuff guys?

It's driven by a biological disturbance once you get fat as sin. The type and quality of your macros matter. Sugars and other volatile carbs make you insensitive to insulin and that reliability makes the body retain weight.

you are a dummy

Why

>Is eliminating all carbs the best way to lose weight when it comes to dieting or it just a myth? I want to stop being bigly
No, it's not the best way. People like low carb, because they feel satisfied that they can eat a bit "more" portions of things that are fatty and delicious. There are some risks to low carb diets though, namely on your kidneys (from kidney stones to shutdown and needing transplant). There are some thoughts about liver involvement too especially if you are an active exercising person, and the stress on the liver combined with the overwork of the kidneys can give you an especially prolonged state of dehydration. It's not good to be there, esp in warm climates.When you need energy, you can burn muscle when you upset this balance, muscles from everywhere, from your heart to your immune system can take a hit. Carbs are responsible for keeping mental health balance, don't forget that one. High protein complications for gout, and thoughts about suspicions of arterial plague problems are high.

The right best way is along the line of Weight Watchers where the diet itself is the maintenance diet of the weight for the rest of your life. It's food group exchanges, proper portions and in essence, just total calorie counting ideas, mixed with the common sense of nutritional guidelines for health.

Just fucking eat less pasta instead of spiraling a vegetable or eat the vegetable as it is

For posting in a carb thread about drinking non-ethanol alchohol

Time will tell. I'm pretty curious about the long-term health of these long distance runners who are doing it.

It was a no-brainer for me. Whacked beetus and DKA or good control, mild ketosis and weight loss. I didn't start out obese, just overweight, and it only took me half a year at which point I transitioned into low-carb, upping the protein and carbs (solely from vegetables) and lowering the fat macros. I still eat a shit ton of fats and i am not afraid of them at all because of the labs. I still avoid refined sugars. Point is, it's not really a crash diet, but more of a transitional phase into more fresh food. Vegetables and shit. There's this great metabolic reset thing that happens 2-3 months in where you can suddenly taste everything more intensely. Quitting sugar is like quitting smoking. It's pretty neat.

There is no such thing as eat less pasta