How does Veeky Forums feel about Tom Wolfe?

How does Veeky Forums feel about Tom Wolfe?

Kandy Kolored... is a really intelligent analysis of the ways American culture transformed in the aftermath of WW2. Some of the most vibrant prose I've ever come across as well. Haven't read anything else though.

Anyone have any input on his latest, which apparently attacks Darwin and Chomsky?

>Kandy Kolored

I'll check this one out. Someone else recommended me From Bauhaus to Our House, too. Have you read that one? I'm not sure which one to read first...

I like that suit he's wearing but I have no idea who he is.

Kind of enjoyed 'Bonfire'. Very readable. HIs writing is like a comfrting sitcom youve seen 20 times.

Kandy Kolored remains my only exposure to his work, but I'd like to change that someday. I think Electric Kool Aid... is widely considered his most essential book though.

>Electric Kool Aid

It's a fun read. That's his only work I've read.

>HIs writing is like a comfrting sitcom youve seen 20 times.

Sounds comfy.

Bump

I've read Bonfire of the Vanities, Electric Kool Aid Acid Test and the one with the Stoicism fanatic (it's been years, cannot remember the title and I'm not near my bookshelf). All were decent, comfy reads. None were challenging or hugely interesting.

the other one is better

May get shit for this but I really enjoyed Back to Blood. Like, a lot.

>the one with the Stoicism fanatic (it's been years, cannot remember the title
A Man in Full

I enjoyed Bonfire of the Vanities. He's pretty red-pilled about the dindus.

Also enjoyed The Right Stuff. I didn't care for Electric Kool Aid Acid Test all that much. But then I didn't care for the subject matter - filthy hippies

Thank you user. I recall enjoying this one the most (despite forgetting the title).

Electric Koolaid is a cool read. he also published The Pump House Gang the same day...interesting little book that chronicles various social circles going on in the 60s.

Kek

Tell me about Wolfe. Why does he wear the suit?

I'm legitimately surprised by the responses in this thread, despite being one of my college's most notable alumni, I had always had a relatively low opinion of his works. For some reason I thought I had heard the consensus opinion was that "Bonfire" was entertaining enough and relatable while most of his other works were pretentious. "Comfy" was one of the last words I would have associated him with.

Guess I'll have to give him a chance.

>has never read Wolfe before
>thinks he's a hack

I only read the painted word.
It was ok.

You see, user, contrary to what you may believe, it is actually possible to form a very loose opinon of an author before you read him or her to know whether or no their writing is worth the precious time it takes to read. I don't need to actually read the Twilight series to know that Stephanie Meyer is a hack.

Never understood this typa shit.

Taaaaake this Wolfeshill

I actually liked Charlotte Simmons so I guess I know that feel.

Nowhere near as good as Thomas Wolfe.

aaaaand that

Both are a far cry from Virginia Woolf.

Both of whom are inferior to Gene Wolfe

RIP Willy Wonka

>being a pseud
confirmed for W&L student

He's great

The Right Stuff is highly enjoyable and entertaining. Good snapshot of Americas brief obsession with the space race

comfy and insightful are not mutually exclusive btw

He's an okay governor

Fuck off, friendo.

People on Veeky Forums just can't appreciate good literature. This is what I deserve for having high standards of this place-- memes and shitposting. But what did I expect, honestly? The majority of this board consists of young college students, who read meme authors like Pynchon and DFW.

I like him but The Kingdom of Speech is embarrassing.

have you read it, or are you just basing that off its premise?

Yes, it's funny but the gist of the book is him attacking Darwin and Chomsky along with their theory without even understanding what he's attacking. He's trying to counterpoint two Academic figures and their work with outright demagoguery, then tries to provide his own answer to the origin of language through a theory of language as Mnemonic device which is very shaky to say the least.

It's just not very good.

fair enough then. i've just seen a number of people who don't seem to have actually read the work essentially attack wolfe for having the audacity to question darwin and chomsky, which actually strikes me as thoroughly anti-scientific in its dogmatism. i haven't read it myself and will reserve judgment for when/if i actually do.

I agree, there are a lot of people that put scientific figures on pedestals as though they're indisputable, so there's nothing wrong with another person challenging the established theory (as science is supposed to be), but the work that goes into that challenge has to actually have some grounding of expertise required for that field. Wolfe is a good writer, and I've enjoyed his works, but he's also neither a biologist nor a linguist - so already his ability to take down two established and highly regarded figures in their respective fields is suspect.