Tfw you realize that your failure at math is due to a misunderstanding of the order of operations

>tfw you realize that your failure at math is due to a misunderstanding of the order of operations

I just found out today, after finally deciding to go back to basics to figure out why I suck at math, that you go from left to right in multiplication/division and addition/substraction. I always thought multiplication took precedence over division and addition took place over substraction. No teacher has ever noticed that this is why I got math problems wrong.

Thanks public school education.

Other urls found in this thread:

saylordotorg.github.io/text_elementary-algebra/s04-07-order-of-operations.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>is stupid as fuck and didn't pay attention when PEMDAS was being taught
>i-its every1 elses fault!!
Kys

>Thanks public school education.
This is your own fault, not your teachers.
There are textbooks there for you to pick up and read. Your exam results reflect your performance as a student, saying that your teacher or school was terrible means nothing to the person looking at your transcript.
And yes, I went to a public school myself and scored the maximum grade and I'm now studying at a world top 50.

I was taught the order of operations was PEMDAS

P
E
M
D
A
S

not

P
E
MD
AS

Give me an example where it makes a difference.

2^4 - 12 ÷ 3 x 2 + 11

10/2*3

These are all written ambiguously - no mathematician writes this.
You need to write it using brackets or use actual fractions in LaTeX.
So again, show me an actual UNAMBIGUOUS example where order of operations makes a difference.

Are you fucking stupid? You learn about the order of operations in grade school and thats how the problems are written for grad schoolers.

They are not ambiguous if you understand basic math.

Congrats, you're actually dumber than OP. Kill yourself, brainlet.

Top brainlet of 2016

>grad schoolers
I hope you forgot an e there, son.

No shit

Even grade school doesn't see this ambiguous mess.
I'm so sorry that your american education is so shit anons.
>ITT people who haven't been to university and think that maths actually looks like this

The other autists in this thread can go fuck themselves. Personally I'm pretty good at math (grad school at 19,) but I've seen this issue in dozens of students I'be tutored privately. By everyone else's logic, this means that all of these people are lazy idiots, but I think the concept is just taught poorly.

Being a brainlet should be a bannable offense.

Get b&, m8

After you, friendo.

Wow, nice baiting.

The fuck is wrong with you? What do you mean "ambiguous" ofc in a university they won't make you solve problems that basic so nothing looks like that, but it still definitely fucking matters. For example problem 5 ÷ 2 x 5 or is that still too fucking ambiguous for you. lmao brainlet of the year

>he thinks pemdas is real
>parenthesis don't exist.

Trees exist, brainlet

Now that you know, make sure your kids know. Or else you'll be low class forever.

Ofc

Why do they teach this completely irrelevant and pedantic shit? It's literally convention and notation, nothing to do with math. It triggers me.

7 - 2 + 3
OP may be a brainlet but so are you

I disagree. This is taught early enough that the teachers should be monitoring and correcting mistakes.
Self directed learning comes later.

Any good mathematician should realize when the expression is getting too complicated and employ parentheses as needed.

2^4 - 12/(3x2)+11 as an example

The whole concept of writing an expression as "this, over that" comes to mind as well.

Professor E. MorD SorA

Use fucking parenthesis retards.

You're wrong, you don't go left to right or any such autism, it's ambiguous if not indicated with parentheses. I think Veeky Forums is actually retarded, we go over this in many threads. Just look at those fucking le mathe question threads, it's obviously ambiguous but most of the replies state a single answer and call everyone else retarded. Is Veeky Forums really so bad that we do the same shit for several years and no one actually improves in this. This is probably because no one here actually does basic mathematics.

Are you meming?

When several operations are to be applied within a calculation, we must follow a specific order to ensure a single correct result.

>Perform all calculations within the innermost parentheses or grouping symbols.
>Evaluate all exponents.
>Perform multiplication and division operations from left to right.
>>>>Finally, perform all remaining addition and subtraction operations from left to right.

saylordotorg.github.io/text_elementary-algebra/s04-07-order-of-operations.html

Why is everyone on/sci/ so mean?

You're confusing math with calculation. Order of operations has nothing to do with math.

>calculation has nothing to do with math

Yeah, there must be something fundamentally wrong with the way they teach arithmetic. I don't think I have met a single person who got that right away.

19?

Only time knowing the order of operations has been useful for me at university is for programming mathematics. Most of the time I just use a lot of brackets though.

Today i finally figured out that unzipping makes those wc trips so much less messier.
I just with pride want to share.

÷ isn't legal notation
Don't use ÷; never use ÷

Yeah not being able to follow a simple algorithm with a few steps is the reason you don't have the geometric/visual-spatial reasoning, logical ability, and algebraic intuition required to perform well in advanced maths.

Well, I passed Physics.

>undergrad detected

>substraction
kys brainlet

holy shit, I hope this is bait you fucking retard

both of them are 8 in case you're not trolling

kys

If you go in thinking that addition takes precedence over subtraction, the answer becomes 2.

7-2 = 5
5 + 3 = 8

-2 + 3 = 1
7+1 = 8

BRAINNNNLEEEETTTTTT
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

no....

7 - 2 is just shorthand for 7 + (-2)

its really

7 + (-2) + 3

order of operations and all those decimal digits and parenthesis\symbols have nothing to do with mathematics , they're just a way to convey certain mathematical concepts without ambiguity .

being shit at them and being shit at mathematics are two completely different things .

Bedmass

2+3 = 5
7 - 2+3 = 2

Nobody is talking about what the real answer is, they're talking about where you end up when you start with misconceptions. Work on context desu senpai