What do i study further in order to build an iron man armor. something in mechE or aerospace, EE, maybe mechatronics ?

what do i study further in order to build an iron man armor. something in mechE or aerospace, EE, maybe mechatronics ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zGmymin7d0o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Spider Silk Farming

All of them.

Everything. MechE, EE, aerodynamics if you want it to fly, electronic control systems, computer science, energy sources/generators (batteries, engines) etc.

Mechatronics seems like the go to field for it specifically though. Might have to learn aerodynamics and energy generation on your own though.

k thx. i will deliver, see you in about 10 years

Biomechatronics or Robotics, exoskeleton research

youtube.com/watch?v=zGmymin7d0o

you would need a team of people because its probably not possible for a single man alone to know the knowledge to construct and entire suit alone. For example you would need MechE, Electrical engineers, CS, Computer Engineers, Aerospace, Materials Engineers (probably ceramics, metallurgy, and composites), Biomedical guys would probably be needed for something or other. You would also need a rich guy to fund it.

You'd need an amazing power supply and heat removal system.

>tfw this is secretly one of my goals
I'm an ME, but I've come to the conclusion that I need to focus on AI basically because of the same things this guy said. It's too much work for one person, so I'm researching AI methods that I can offload a lot of the design work onto, letting me work more efficiently. I'm publishing papers on computational structural topology optimization, and I'm working on some other new related technologies as well

Why not make an unpowered exoskeleton, faggot?

Leave the Iron Man shit to the pros.

PROTIP: Even if you have the materials and technology, it still needs to be ergonomic and have proper coverage.

Save yourself a fuckton of effort and study historical armor before anything else. The West spent a couple hundred years laughing at old suits and then when they needed to make armor again for WWI they made the goofiest heaviest shit. A good, well fitted suit of plate is lighter and more flexible than a fireman's equipment. Plate made by someone who thinks plate is heavy and cumbersome by default, like Ned Kelly's, is total shit.

Because a fully enclosed armored metal exoskeleton would weigh one gorillion pounds.

well the mechanical part is easy. materials motors and control systems are complex but doable. so is the propulsion albeit a bit harder since i'd have to innovate a bit but there are options. the software is the biggest problem for me since i'm not as good at programming but i haven't put work into it as well so i figure i can solve that. sure having a team would make it easier and more efficient but one man can pull it off with enough time ( and money of course ).

> metal
There's your problem.

to clarify a bit, by easy i mean that the technology exists and you would only have to incorporate it properly into a suit of armor, not that it's ez pz for everyone

Also, it'd weigh no more than 100 pounds for even an improperly designed suit. 75 pounds would be a reasonable estimate if you want some ballistic resistance and a good amount of coverage, say over 95%.

You're glossing over a lot of things like stress analysis and manufacturing (and also if you want it to fly, aerodynamics and building a working fusion reactor the size of a soda can). The controls would probably be pretty easy in comparison, relying on myograph sensors and some basic software to harmonize everything.

100 lbs is a lot. I was shooting for 40lbs on mine. Try looking at aramid composites and pyrotechnic actuators.

i didn't gloss over them i lumped them into the mechanical part of the suit. which is easy, aerodynamics included. the electrical and software part seems harder to me. which is why i was asking about the degrees. the logical conclusion would be to take up mechatronics as it's multidisciplinary, it includes all these aspects of building and engineering, but Veeky Forums and some other sources say to avoid it like the plague if i'm looking for an engineering field

> You're glossing over a lot of things like stress analysis and manufacturing
> implying

> 100 lbs is a lot. I was shooting for 40lbs on mine. Try looking at aramid composites and pyrotechnic actuators.
Of fucking course it's a lot, but that's with fucking metal. Also, if you use aramids, you're not going to get any protection above III-A unless you impregnate it with something like polyethylene glycol and silica dioxide or another shear-thickening fluid, or try to make it hard enough that it the fibers don't move when hit by a rifle round.

Whatever, though. It still might not work, and it still might just provide III-A protection or less.

How many layers are you thinking, what coverage are you thinking of?

magic

I was thinking of cross-sewing together multiple layers of prepreg fabric with additional high strength fibers to prevent delamination. It only needs to catch the projectile and prevent it from penetrating. For areas susceptible to blunt trauma there would be 2"-3" thick hard foam inserts between two different layers of the composite, intended to absorb the energy of the impact and prevent these areas from getting crushed.

The composite would be about a quarter inch thick, but I haven't had time to work directly on this project for a while so I don't have many hard numbers to give you.

> I was thinking of cross-sewing together multiple layers of prepreg fabric with additional high strength fibers to prevent delamination.
Tell me more.

You aren't going to be using laminated Kevlar, are you? The only way to go is woven.

> It only needs to catch the projectile and prevent it from penetrating.
I know damn well what it's supposed to do.

> For areas susceptible to blunt trauma there would be 2"-3" thick hard foam inserts between two different layers of the composite, intended to absorb the energy of the impact and prevent these areas from getting crushed.
You do understand just how fucking retarded that is and how retarded you are for saying that, right?

Not only would you have to choose between less coverage or more weight, but you would also be using much more materiel than you'd have to. An inch is reasonable, or you could use a blunt trauma pad or two. I'm not completely sure how those would work.

> The composite would be about a quarter inch thick, but I haven't had time to work directly on this project for a while so I don't have many hard numbers to give you.
And what would the composite be made out of?

The only thing I could think of you using would be ceramics, and then Aluminium Oxide to keep costs relatively low. That shit shatters upon impact, as with all ceramics. Good fucking luck making it yourself, too, you'd need a lot of equipment and experience from other people, or you could just buy some Aluminium Oxide tiles. I'm not so sure how well those would do.

What profession are you?

You also are forgetting the materials part and the fact that you need to be able to make the suit fly and carry its own weight, and also design a portable power source (battery, which is another materials/chemical thing) to power the who god damn thing.

Why?

How about you?

I'm a mechanical engineer. Your post makes you sound like an armorer tech.

Am I right?

materials science and engineering

it encompasses everything related to what you need to know

its extremely multidisciplinary, expect to learn a lot

Start with nuclear physics, because however the fuck you plan on powering this thing is going to dictate how big it's going to be.

I can be bootleg iron man, whiplash

Physics

> I'm a mechanical engineer.
A mechanical engineer, huh? What did you have to do to become one?

> Your post makes you sound like an armorer tech.
>
> Am I right?
I'm flattered, I really am. Thank you. But no, you're way off. I'm actually a NEET, more-or-less. I'm just an armor enthusiast.

What do you guys think of Troy Hurtubise?

Is he kill?

>I'm actually a NEET, more-or-less
I thought so. Your earlier post wreaked of amateur.

He was schizophrenic. He's basically the mechanical engineering equivalent of Terry Davis (the Temple OS guy). Troy thought god told him to build his suit, and that god sent him the plans for an x-ray vision device in a dream.

Materials science, miniaturization, and computer programming are the important ones. I would ignore flight until massless or low-mass thrust becomes a thing. Iron Man's suit has no room for propellant.

> I thought so. Your earlier post wreaked of amateur.
Compared to what? How do you suppose I could have worded it to "wreak" less of amateur?

> He was schizophrenic. He's basically the mechanical engineering equivalent of Terry Davis (the Temple OS guy). Troy thought god told him to build his suit, and that god sent him the plans for an x-ray vision device in a dream.
Lol who cares if it just werks™

U got me lol

What are your requirements for an ironman suit?

fuck iron cuck.

its basically impossible.

try the nanosuit from crysis
that is probably more doable in this lifetime.

>be a rich businessman
>hire several experts from various field to create ironman suit
>ggez

i know i can't do a better than job than those fucking "expert" nerds who use the same programs as everyone in the business and who load their work to lower-tier engineers

I was interested in this thread, but you've demonstrated that you're a retard.

Ironman suits aren't possible.

Nice to see you contributing something as well, retard.

they are
you might as well fuck off then

Mods do your job pls

study mechanical engineering or physics, you should learn enough useful stuff there. and then do a masters in something about electrical, aerospace or nulear, and study the other subject separately

CS

Best thing about the armor is Jarvis/Friday

If you go to college for this, you'll end up in some specific job in engineering building a specific part of some specific control system, which will be part of a larger project. Unless you manage a team of engineers, or you're rich, you yourself will never physically build a suit or see the entire thing yourself through your job.

Rather, you should find a way to make a large amount of money, and then use this on your own time to build a suit. The knowledge to do so should be easy to learn if it seems as if it already comes easily to you.

Hopefully while in college you'll find something else you're more passionate about that may be more realisitic for you and your future.

Pic related: don't ever become this guy

Just assemble it from pieces of shit that exist and strap a generator to the back.

Why? It'll almost useless, inefficient and ineffective. If you do manage it, you'll make some horribly designed piece of shit that probably can't even move. At least without a large company and a lot of money at your disposal. Even with it being perfectly engineered and optimised, it'll still be inefficient and ineffective.

why is it ineffective and inefficient ? i want a personal suit in which i can fly that is its main purpose. main purpose may or may not be to blast niggers with missiles and zap fags and the third purpose could be for the suit to be mostly bulletproof and resistant to most projectiles.

if it fulfills these purposes then it's not ineffective.

yeah of course having money is required, but i'm going for engineering because i like, and because i want to contribute to the field, i don't go just to build an iron man suit that's autistic. i go to get an eduction, get a job, eventually start a company and get some money. if i've completed the final stage. then i will get started on my old man excentric richfag ideas, but i'd like to know what i'm working with before hand, in this case, engineering a complicated system

study literally any engineering they are samish at furat and you dont want to complicate things like EE and mecatronic fags. build something simple ( like pic relatedstudy )out of hydraliuc systems strapped to the framework, which will have chemical rocket thrusters strapped to it, they should provide enough thrusters to get 200 kg ( man and armor ) airbone , and also carry a machine gun or weld to You arms if you want offensive capabities. you won get much millage but it beats not having an iron Man armor amirite

and how do i power what you described as a wearable jeep ?

idk man batteries, solar panels, fission if you're into getting convicted for high degree terrorism and endagering public health and national security. kerosen and diesel maybe ?

get creative