Do I really need to read Aristotle's works to understand people like Descartes, Hume, Kant, etc?

Do I really need to read Aristotle's works to understand people like Descartes, Hume, Kant, etc?

You need to read Aristotle in order to understand the Middle Ages, which you need to understand in order to understand the Reformation, which you need to understand in order to understand the Enlightenment, so yes.

Why?

Because every philosopher is responding to another. You get what you put into it. If you fucking skip over everyone and read Zarathustra you're not going to get shit

Prove it.

Prove what? Every philosopher has influences and every philosopher is responding to older ideas, changing them and building on them and making new ones in their place. Just go on and try to read Kant without the proper background and see how far you get.

No you don't. But it would help.

Most philosophy courses at university level (aside from History of Phil) will start with Descartes or a contemporary textbook.

It's a meme you need to read 100% chronologically

But Aristotle was wrong.

Whether or not he was wrong is not the issue. The philosophers after him were responding to his ideas, and philosophers after those responding to their and so on and on.

Thx. I have read some Aristotle (Politics, Ethics, Poetics) but he's just so boring to me. I know that's a Troglodyte tier statement.

Do you have a source?

They start with Descartes because they think the only thing of importance is modern philosophy AKA epistemology because it's their gateway to start memeing about empiricism and SCIENCE!

Undergrad philosophy courses are as pleb-tier as you can get. NO metaphysics, NO aesthetics, NO magic, NO alchemy, NO mysticism, in a word, no philosophy.

Primary sources, actually. Philosophers from Plotinus to Hegel, Kant, Marx, Spinoza, Rousseau, etc. all refer to Aristotle's (and others') ideas and respond to him. If you actually read philosophy you'll come to realize that. But I'm guessing you haven't read very much philosophy if you're actually asking how I know philosophers influence each other

Why what?

Can you prove that they were influenced by the Greek Spaghetti Man?

No the main raison Descartes is remembered is because it's the first to have make tabula rasa of Aristotle, greek philosophers and medieval scholastic.

He gave birth to modern philosophy and the following thinkers are more his sons that son of Antiquity.

Or because they don't have the time to cover every single philosopher in depth

They are also not studying the history of Philosophy, which is what most hobbyists on Veeky Forums do

Read the books faggot.

Find me a single undergrad philosophy professor who has a deeper understanding of magic other than "It isn't real."

Why should I do that?

You shouldn't. You're clearly too challenged to understand any of it

Odd question, none immediately come to mind as it's not something I'd know, but I can offer you a lecturer; there likely are many professors with reasonable knowledge, but it's not in my interests to do your homework.

Peter Forshaw, Lecturer in Renaissance Philosophies at Birkbeck

Source?

ur mum haah

No fucking way you followed the line this long, you fucking trout.

He's a juicy one. It'll be good eatin' tonight boi!

Lets be real, you will never understand Kant with or without reading Aristotle