Why shouldn't everyone's first college semester be Algebra, Biology, Physics and Chemistry?

Why shouldn't everyone's first college semester be Algebra, Biology, Physics and Chemistry?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Fuchs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because biology, physics and chemistry are gay as fuck.

Why algebra and not analysis? Isn't analysis more useful for science majors?

Because then the colleges would not be able to extract more than one semester of tuition money from the business and nursing majors.

Because this should be everyones highschool-curriculum

I keked

Only if you are a pleb.

>4 classes

what are you a cuck?

also what type of backwards ass country do you live in where your first year college math class isn't ordinary differential equations?

Okay, so a bio major is gonna need to know more about isomorphisms than about integrals? Holy kek sci is retarded

because it should be:

Calculus 2
Chemistry 1
Biology 1
Physics 1
Astronomy 1
Earth Science 1
Engineering
English 101
World History
(Your Nation's History)
Economics
Psychology
So you cover all the bases.

>bio major
There's your problem. If you don't get an erection when thinking about symmetry, you should consider killing yourself.

JFC you're such a sperglord. I'm a math major, and I want soft science majors to benefit from the kind of thinking you do in real analysis more than in algebra. I'm sure you're a second year undergrad who is doing just okay in his classes, so he wants EVERYBODY to know how 'rigorous' his major is to compensate for the fact that he's average amongst his peers. YOU should consider killing yourself friend

not everyone had the good fortune of not being born in burgerstan

>muh writing on windows
>muh calc 1-3 autism trifecta
>muh hard maths

>muh cancer
>muh kim peek
>muh medschool

>muh we just dont know
>muh newton wasnt that smart
>muh assume ideal situation

>muh im a wizard
>muh memorizing reaction mechanisms
>muh colorful titrations

Some of us barely made it out of the backwoods of Missouri without shooting ourselves

Good ole 'engineering' class.

Didn't want to generalize too much

I would guess it just goes over the basics of problem seeking, finding out why it's like that, and how to solve the problems. Probably introductory like the rest of the courses so goes over the 4 main branches (chemical, electrical, mechanical, civil) then goes deeper into them in further courses down the line.

Nah senpai, I just really like algebra.

>college
>algebra
Shouldn't that be out of the way before high school?

bump

I hate how math majors have Algebra I, II and III that represent group theory, ring theory and other abstract concepts but then non-math majors also have classes called Algebra I, II and III which are just watered down analytic geometry (not even algebra, just geometry) so whenever we mention our classes people think of fucking high school.

We should change our algebra courses to Big Dick Algebra I, II and III to make the distinction.

>"what do you do for a living?"
>"i study algebra"
>"oh, i did that in high school"

kek

I keked.

I guess they """"""""study"""""""" differentiability in physics. Plebs only needs to use [math] \frac{ \partial }{ \partial t} [/math] or [math] \frac{ \partial }{ \partial x} [/math], without even knowing what it means.

Wanna take this outside pal?

Not everyone had good teachers for this curriculum

Intro engineerimg classes are shit

Hey those were my subjects!

All I discovered that bio is pseudoscience so I dropped it

Still a good class for everyone to have

because i'm not a brainlet and took all of those in high school

How about some Shakespeare so you do not turn out to be a STEM freak.

>studies Philosophy
>first year is Algebra, biology, Physics, Chemistry

Nigga, whut ?

Because I'm a music major

because I am an art student

ha, should have read the thread before posting

they are for us god tier anons. My first year was CellBio, Chem, Physics, Calc, and my elective was programming (this was 97, so the CS meme hadnt kicked in yet, so I was odd one out).

t. PhD working jointly for a local uni, The National Labs, and SCOCOM/DOE

1) Because that's too many classes.
2) Because many people don't ever need to learn most of those.
3) Because the people who do had better not need to take algebra in college.

Because not all fields require you to take all of those courses.

If I'm doing a degree in pure mathematics, why the fuck am I taking bio?

That's what high school is for.

So you arent so fucking autistic with women

Idk, some philosophy majors take a lot of math in university. I know that my introduction to philosophy teacher took abstract algebra and real analysis.

because you should learn that shit in highschool

>muh sperglord

You should have. You are a stain on the scientific community.

Is this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Fuchs ?

Because those are all memes and people should focus on what they need for their degree.

No.

This is the answer. Can you imagine frat boys sticking it out with normal subgroups?

You should learn algebra in highschool.

What the network of nerds who horde information on the Internet and hold themselves high and mighty to anyone who doesn't subject themselves to a lifetime of imprisonment by the written word. Science should be shared.

I feel you are the type of unbearable academic that turns people off and makes the whole process of learning uninteresting

>Algebra
Reported

I know of no college in california that has that system - algebra means Contemporary Abstract Algebra Fifth Edition: Joseph A. Gallian

Unless you are talking about community college algebra.

Pls tell me about something very low level in algebra like what a Sylow p-subgroup is or something similar.

>Gallian

Your school is shit.

I'm not that guy, but my school uses Gallian for undergrad and Dummit & Foote for grad algebra

Yes.

The more reason to apply rigor to your studies.
It seems like there's no appreciate for academic history, despite some shit posting.

All of this shit can be connected in many ways, and more often than not, it's almost all based out of philosophy. You could counter with the arts not being as such, but that would prove to be false due to the way of creating.

And shit, don't you create shit or have to create a form of a shit to do some of them sciences?

I don't understand why we need to compartmentalize and force specialization in education this much?

And for the reason of this compartmentalization might be from the lack of quality from students, time, desire in students, time that students have, or other business considerations and components mentioned from the masters and administering the lessons.
TL;DR

Why we gotta be so monolithic and narrow minded when it comes to sciences and math?

why do STEM majors need to take non-STEM classes? is it to jew us for shekels?

So you aren't a fucking retarded math machine.

Give me a six pack of beer and a netflix subscription and I can be normie as thebest of them.

That's because you were that before you majored in STEM lol.

But that's the other way around, and supports why stem shouldn't take non stem majors.

Your school is incredibly shitty. Gallian is remedial and DF is undergrad at best.

Pearson here. How dumb am I?

Oh boy. What's a good graduate text, then?

>taking boolean algebra & logic class
>talking to girl, she asks what class am I in
>tell her said class
>"oh, I didn't know our university offered algebra"

She probs thought I was retarded, I go to UC irvine. Told her what the class really was. Fucking idiots who think if the class has algebra in the name == algebra 1 in 8th grade

Hungerford, Lang, Jacobson, MacLane/Birkhoff

Linear Algebra, "at least it's linear"

Because not everyone needs to learn algebra, biology, physics and chemistry?

I feel the natural order is a subject everyone should understand efore trying to learn how to be an everyday human

Why shouldn't everyone's first class in primary school be Anatomy?

High school is for learning how to be an everyday human. Education beyond that point is supposed to be specialized so you don't waste your time with shit you won't need in your job.

because biology isnt that impressive

Then a simple "Science for non-science students" course would suffice.

Bullshit.

You can't expect mastery in four years in understanding everday human "stuff".

It's not a waste if you approach it from angle of growth, increasing mental fortitude, and character development.

Granted, there's nuances that might not be best applied towards a particular specialization outside of STEM or what have you, but you can definitely get a lot out of a class room than what is being taught on the subject.

That's a cope out requirement for rigor.

You can teach other lessons in the form of that that will better benefit every one who has to take those courses. The issue is, once again, the nuances that are seemingly made unaware by other resources or through lack of discussion or interest in self improvement towards/manifested through education.

I just notice a whole lot of resistance when it comes to wanting to be educated. Ideally, if you can get a purer mindset about how to grow as a human in any and every experience, then you'd have a pretty efficient society. Might be a little more empathetic....

But the baseline and average would increase, if we upped the bar, and started the grooming process towards intellect, understanding, and physique.

We need better balance that will eventually lead to a solid transition into the more harder stuff STEM provides.

But we need to increase our bottom line first before we can make the whole team better.

You don't need physics or algebra to become a nurse

we'd have super nurses if we did...

>high school physics and chem is the same thing as college physics and chem

No

Stop

>muh what is the backbone of 21st century technology

>Check out the brainlet who didn't take genetics and cell bio to make sense of it all

bump

>>high school physics and chem is the same thing as college physics and chem

It SHOULD be. There is literally no point in the watered down version of physics and chemistry in high school. It just delays everyone by forcing them to take the same subject twice.

I'm just now getting into my business degree, which I chose because I figured it would be useful and I don't really have a passion.

Accounting is just memorizing processes and everything else is brainlet tier.

Because you go to college to learn one thing well, not half ass a lot of things. Also, you should have learnt the basics of all these at high school anyway.

bumperino