Of course...

>Of course, it would be unseemly for a monarch to appear in the robes of learning at a university levtern and present to rosy youths Finnigan's Wake . . .
>Finnigan's Wake
>Finnigan's
What the fuck, Nabokov ?

is this real? give me a page number pls

Page 76 in the Vintage International edition.

I fucking loved Pale Fire, is Lolita worth reading or is it a meme? Should I go for Pnin next?

Nabokov despised FW and put the ' in to be derisive in a subtle way, also possibly to piss off autists 60 years in the future

Not just the apostrophe, but also a misspelling of the name.

All the more reason to think this was intentional.

get lolita bruh. the beauty of the prose in that book made me have to stop and just feel for minutes at a time.

Could just be Kinbote being a prat.

>Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him! A fellow of Infanite Jest
>Infanite
dang Shakes, just be upfront and call Wallace immature why don't you

This is why I love /lit jesus

Probably a reference to the folk song rather than the book that used the song's name.

No, the context definitely makes it clear that it's a reference to the book, since the monarch is secretly teaching literature in disguise.

was praised by /lit jesus/

>Thinking you're more clever than Vladimir

In preparation for the publication of The Annotated Lolita,
Alfred Appel, Jr., asked Nabokov about an apparent mistake in
Pale Fire in which the title of Finnegans Wake appears with an “i” for the “e” in “Finnegans,” and also with a possessive apostrophe, thus
apparently correcting Joyce’s obviously intentional error while throwing in a new one for good measure. But Nabokov would have been familiar with Stephen’s quip in Ulysses: “A man of genius makes no mistakes. His errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery” (243).
So his response to Appel is tantalizing: “You say you don’t understand the mistakes of tricksters but they would not be tricksters if they did not profit by their own tricky mistakes.” Nabokov thus seems to be suggesting that just as the title of Finnegans Wake functions to “trick” readers into catching a mistake that really isn’t one, the author of Pale Fire may intend to profit from apparent “mistakes” or misprints in the text that are “tricky”--and perhaps even to transform those “volitional errors”
into his own “portals of discovery. Since this intentional error is only the
second note in the Commentary, it may be that Nabokov chose to place a major thematic clue here, as he often does, precisely because of its high visibility.

I waited until I was 21 to read Lolita because of the meme factor and as far as I'm concerned I wasted like 4 or 5 years

Both, Pnin is fantastic as well.

>iwasmerelypretendingtoberetarded.jpg
wow really makes you think

I honestly didn't enjoy pnin very much, Lolita is amazing though.

Oh, so Nabokov isn't stupid, he's just incredibly arrogant. Thanks, user.

>Nabokov
>arrogant

WHO'D'VE THUNK IT ??

>Out, out, brief candle! Told by an idiot, full of The Sound and the Fury, Signifying nothing
Good grief William what did Faulkner ever do to you

>authors
>arrogant

hoo wood ave think it

Jesus, this shit is Purple Prose : the Book. Why does he feel the need to use so many obscure and made-up words ? How the fuck am I supposed to know what "ingledom" means ?

>>levtern

What the fuck, OP?

nabakov confirmed literal retard

I know Sylvia Plath did the same in The Bell Jar.