Be me 3rd year math major

>be me 3rd year math major
>take real analysis
>get wrecked
why do they make limits so much more complicated now?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_topology#A_topology_on_a_set
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm a CS major and I passed real analysis with a decent grade on my first year. (The course was provided by math department)

How does it feel to be even dumber than a Computer Scientist?

>doing real analysis in 3rd year
???

It's the easiest thing. Practice some more until you understand it and you will laugh at yourself for ever thinking it's hard.

Kek'd . You should be ashamed op.
Real analysis is first year here too.
I'm having trouble with general topology though.

What does general topology mean? Algebraic Topology?

Nope it basically means that we don't do only metric kiddy space stuff. It's just to differentiate between the other metric only topology course for teachers and engineers. Sorry for the confusion.

>real analysis
>posts a first semester calc ε-δ proof
Come on year 3

>3rd year
>real analysis
wtf have you been doing for the first 2 years?

How? Real Analysis is a grad level course at my uni. After Calc III, it goes Theory of Calculus -> Analysis I -> Analysis II -> Real Analysis

It's pure topology. It may be approached from the perspective of set theory or category theory.

At my university it is the first topology course and it is followed by algebraic topology (all of the metric topology shit is covered in the analysis courses which are given as pre-requisites to general topology at my university).

Here's the basic definitions.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_topology#A_topology_on_a_set

What you call Analysis I is what OP is calling Real Analysis.

Also, the people who take an analysis course in first year actually take a dumbed down analysis course with a calculus flavor.

inb4 some memer gets offended that Spivak is a babby book.

It's ridiculously easy if you are comfortable with formal logic. All the nested quantifiers fuck brainlets up.

>How do I prove a statement with 4 quantifiers scattered throughout it?! This isn't anything like all the simple statements I've memorized proof techniques for!

Real analysis is first year? Are you EU I'm assuming? In my major I am taking it at my very last semester of senior year.

PPPFPFFFFRRRTTT

grad course!???
this is undergrad 1st year at my uni

In my UK uni, the process is:
First year (compulsory modules):
>calculus and probability
First term is normal calculus theorems, limits, differentiation and integration, partial derivatives and 2D integrals, Fourier series, ODEs, Taylor series in 1D and 2D, second term is probability and some statistics, counting, distribution, etc
>linear algebra
Rigorous linear algebra up to Jordan normal forms
>analysis I:
standard real analysis without metric spaces. We start with logic and sets, epsilon definition of sequences, epsilon-delta definiton of continuity and differentiation, integrals as both Riemann sums and upper/lower Darboux sums, series and series tests, all with rigourous arguments and proof-heavy
>3 other classes to choose from: dynamics, discrete mathematics, statistics, and modules from other courses like physics

Second year:
>complex analysis
start with basic definitions of exp and log in C, holomorphicity, CR equations, harmonic functions, etc. Then we start metric spaces and some theorems in there with proofs. Then back to Cauchy's theorem, and many other whose names I cant remember, Laurent series, to end up at residue theorem and finish with some applications to real integrals.
>analysis in many variables
more calculus than analysis, but differentiation in many variables and integration up to R^3, standard theorems like Green's, Stoke's and div theorem, a lot of computation of integrals, then separabale PDEs, generalized functions (dirac delta and similar).
>algebra
rings, fields and groups, isomorphism theorems, PIDs, UFDs and other stuff i cant remember
>choose 3 other math modules

Third year (everything is optional, choose 6 modules)
>(general) topology
>Real analysis
>Differential geometry
>Algebraic number theory
>Galois theory
>Geometry
>PDEs
>algebraic geometry
>representation theory
>others

Fourth year (choose 4 modules + project, can choose 3rd year modules)
>Algebraic topology
>elliptic functions
>riemannian geometry
>few physics ones

what shithead would name a lecture real analysis? real analysis like they teach it in university is everything from the definition of real numbers up to basic measure theory, diff'equations and manifolds. as I know it you need at least three lectures to get everything through

what uni is that user?

>uni groningen
>friese vlag op het schild

durham university

You mean actually defining limits instead of handwaving them?

ITT: people arguing how hard real analysis is when they mean complete different things.

In my uni we take analysis 1 & 2 in first year, basiclly "Spivak" analysis with epsilon-delta, Intermediate value theorem and such.

And then you take in your third or fourth year two real analysis courses after measure theory and topology courses. That deals which all the fun Borel sets, Lp spaces, covering theorms, Radon-Nikodym etc.

If OP struggles with something like the latter s/he has my symphaty

but general top is easier than real anal, you can use all those theorems without proving them, and all you need is set theory+continuity+new topology terms. Real anal forces you to use obscure identities and wild guesses about what delta to pick, it's a pain in the ass.