Psychology is harmful alchemy and shamanism. Why dont we banish it from science and stop financing this esoteric field...

Psychology is harmful alchemy and shamanism. Why dont we banish it from science and stop financing this esoteric field? Neuroscience and psychiatry should absorb psychology. Its useless major for people who dont have social skills so they can be more efficient at mcdonalds.

psychology uses quantitative methods

It's just not a hard science you cock lord

If we should banish anything it would be sociology, psychology actually has some uses outside of targeted advertisement

Their reliability and validity is too low to be useful. Also they use qualitative research heavily.

Sociology actually has more reliability than psychology because they dont care about individual psyche. Psychology is just intuition with very very soft research so you are like 5-10% more right than regular layman. Its shit and there is no significance. No math and no anything. Its just a branch of philosophy.

stop fucking making this thread every day nobody here thinks psychology is a science

Sociology is more meritable than psychology because we can actually see people and define groups. We have something objective to study there. Psychology, not so much unless we're talking strictly neuroscience.

Psychology helps autists learn to be normies, so without psychology OP would still be a mute sperglord drooling over his tendies.

Techniques developed with clinical psychology are used to treat certain psychiatric disease states and have proven effectiveness vs. pharmacotherapy. Your point is invalid.

If occultism is fake then why does CERN practice it?

psychological research has had applications in literally so many places in everyday life that you dont even know. very subtle places that only now in this day and age we think are obvious but were not before and have changed due to psychological research. i think you would be seriously surprised.

none of you probably even know anythign about psychology

We will never know because people like op will abolish the way to find out.

its glorified common sense and gender studies lel

So do magic tricks, hypnotism, and religious techniques, that doesn't make them conform to what we know about material science.

Psychologists should be put out of work and rely on their own marketing skill. They are charlatans and should be treated as esoteric seers you see on tv and get money from stupid goy.

Sociologists and other liberal art should also stop getting finances. Its just a glorified hobby. Those who are seriously going to get somewhere are so few its not worth it. Just purge the academia and let only STEM in there.

Veeky Forums is cancer. just full of bait and shitposting. im moving to reddit.

please go away you pseud

>rely on their own marketing skill
wut?
In my country most psychologist are clinical psychologists working in the public health sector.

I couldn't agree more desu

looking back at this post and I really don't remember writing desu

Maybe we do need psychology after all

Freud did get thr ball rolling. He was a philosopher who happened to correctly describe some of the most significant features common to all human minds. Unfortunately you can only do that once.

Your country sounds backwards as fuck.

The recent election should prove that an education of any kind is invaluable. Even if a person ends up at Taco Bell after getting a degree in psychology they will be a better person than the uninformed, anti-intellectual, uneducated trash that voted for Trump.

We need to educate people even if they get degrees in dance.

Psychology is an integral part of the Science of Brainwashing.

CHAPTER I
ORGANIZING CHAOS

THE conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in a democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country.

We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized..

Don't know it seems to make sense

>Go to health clinic beacuse scared of elevators or spiders
>Get cognitive behavioural therapy for free
>Not afraid of elevators or spiders anymore
>profit

Now I want to be a psychiatrist.

I say this as someone with a degree in the field: Psychology is a field with a great deal of potential, but it's lagging behind a little in terms of level of advancement.

It's like how old-timey anesthesia consisted of injecting heroin into the spinal cord or whatever the hell. We know it's a fairly primitive method now, but it's the best we had at the time.

So too with Psychology.

The best way to think of psychology is as a practical application of scientific consensus. Biology, neuroscience, medicine, all that plays its part. Psychology just tries to help people without resorting to more involved methodologies involving meds and such.

Think of a psychologist like the sort've doctor you go to for a check-up. That doctor probably isn't able to perform brain surgery or the like, but can probably still offer you a general sense of what might be wrong. He or she can recommend you to more specialized services, depending on what you're reporting/what he or she is finding to be the case.

That's all psychology is- they're the first line of assessment for mental health. They have a broad, but somewhat superficial, education on all the subjects involved, unless they specialize- enough to get you to someone involved in harder science, if you need it- and able to assist you if not.

Main problem is that it's still figuring out how best to identify and interact with stuff that isn't easily quantifiable, like the emergent phenomena of our function that we summarize as 'personhood'.

i was about to shit on the other people slagging off psychology probably using soundbites while refusing to acknowledge the nuances of it or its scope.

but you dont even know what psychology is either! why are you conflating psychology and mental health services?! mental health is a very small part of psychology. what kind of degree did you do! obviously didnt do you very well.

Sociology isn't a paradigm, it's an umbrella term. Among more phylosophical than scientific programmes like Foucaults discourse "analysis" you have Computational Social Science that is mostly populated by physicists now. Saying Sociology is unscientific is the as generalizing over all natural Sciences. Network analysis and decision theoretic models are also becoming more and more important in quantitative sociology in general, who try to base emergent phenomena on micro decisions.

Ciao senõr, see you next time!

>Psychology is harmful
And how does that make you feel?

It makes me feel like drinking chocolate syrup

I hear you, man. I hear you. So would I.
Now, when I think of "chocolate," what comes to mind is...?

Cacao, of course

BIG BLACK COCKS

Interesting, please, tell me more.

samefag

Are you skeptical of the work we do here in therapy, user?

It's not that I don't understand the nuances or the scope, it's just that it's easier to give people the idea that psychology isn't just some pseudoscientific bullshit if you relate to them the most immediately relatable parts, IMO.

Bring up mental health and it sorta clicks. Start talking about the many specialized areas of psychology, its role in shaping, for example, UI design, or marketing, or civil planning, or management, or etc etc, and people just start saying that the psychologists made a bunch of shit up to justify their involvement in those areas. Show them the statistics and they go 'lol statistics isn't even real math' half the time.

Adding to this, clinical psychology and its related specializations are generally considered to be the largest branch of psychology.