Haruki Murakami

I've never seen you guys discuss him so share your faggot tranny thoughts in this thread right here now. One of my favourite authors desu

nice bait user. Good quality shitposting.

Didn't you get the notice, only truly patrician tastes are allowed on Veeky Forums. Any author with more than 30,000 sales is basically normiecore faggotry with no inherent artistic value.

>reading shitty post war japanese nihilism
Sorry OP but Murakami is literally for 16 year olds.

Honest question, which ones have you read? What would you consider 'good' postmodernist novels?

Best living writer since God took Eco from us.

I'd answer your question honestly if you weren't trying to put a provocative and slightly insulting tone rather than a genuine inquiry. All I have to advise you is just to read actual good literature instead of hampering the faux sentimentalism of emotionally straggling Japanese authors .

>good postmodernist novel
Wide Sargasso Sea
>bad postmodernist novel
Anything made by Murakami

Dude, relax.

I have read Murakami in Japanese and English. I like him. He's not a super good writer, but he's a good storyteller and he never fails to keep me absorbed.

I think Wind Up Bird Chronicle is his best.

I've read almost all of his novels and the only one I didn't like (and couldn't finish) was 1Q84.

If you think two innocent questions are slightly insulting in tone, I'm thinking your view on 'good literature' is going to be pretty vapid and similar to the vast majority of patrician-tier memes propagated by the rest of this board.

Either way thanks for the compelling answer and have a nice day friendo.

You should've asked like "o user, what do you, by perchance, consider a good literature?", not like "honestly, what do you know about blah blah, what have you read about them"? The former is a question, the latter is and does considered as insulting and vulgar.

Not the guy you're talking too but holy god you're a faggot.

user, there may be somehting which seems to you a little bit unaware, but we're all faggots in here.

No we're not. The militant anti Murakami twat is clearly more of a try-hard fag.

I literally suck cocks and I'm not as bad as that fucker.

>Veeky Forums
>not being try-hard
Pick one. Besides hating Murakami is kind of a meme in here, so don't expect anything better.

what a faggot

lol

Murakami is shit. I've only read Norwegian Wood but I will never waste my time with this author ever again.

Him fucking that lady at the end was disgusting. The main character being such an irrational and careless twat destroyed the novel's legitimacy. I really wanted to like this book, too.

cuck

>I really wanted to like this book, too.
The best parts of his books are the pasta scenes. He needs to just write a spaghetti eastern.

tfw need to write a paper on him for class soon

That's a fucking joke. Sorry to hear that.

no it's not, haruki murkagarki should be mandatory reading in all schools in the world, if it's not then people grow up to be stupid like you who think contrarian is cool and get succ from mommy

mayoi hell when

I have never read Murakami, but I like jazz.

Every time I read about Murakami jazz comes up.

Will I like Murakami?

Music does occasionally play a role in his books, but I've only read Kafka on the Shore and there classical music is more prevalent.

This guy is such a good fucking troll I can't tell if he's actually serious. Deep down, he means it, though.

so you haven't read any of them, and you're parroting what other people say because youre an idiot

is what youre really trying to say

404/10 No person

This man, in my country he is nothing.

you sound insufferable. Stop going out with friends, they only invite you to be nice.

what do you guys think about Banana Yoshimoto?

I really enjoy his stuff, and I get annoyed that Veeky Forums shits on him so much, yeah hes not some literary genius and his themes are repeated but it's still compelling and emotional. And fuck the "magical realism is shit" meme I love me some Marquez here and then.

I've read Kafka on the Shore which is the one I enjoyed and remember the most, and 1Q84 which was long winded but still engrossing. Which should I read next? I'm thinking Wonderland or Colorless.

go back to r/books

never been there, but it seems you have.

Have you read any Ishiguro? I think he is everything that Murakami tries to be in his writing except actually good.

I don't think Murakami is awful. I just think he has a very limited set of tools which he uses to write his fictions. I thought him writing the same thing over and over again was a meme until I read a collection of short stories by him. Almost everyone had the exact same main character with a different name. A young 20something man who likes jazz, spaghetti, and whiskey, who in spite of his complete apathy manages to be irresistible to women etc. Then I read Norwegian Wood and I got irrationally angry that I had to sit through a whole novel of the exact same character.

I think the only think he does somewhat competently is to tug on your heart strings but he does it in a way that it feels like a weak imitation of Ishiguro.

I've been meaning to read some Ishiguro. I picked up some used copies of Remains of The Day and Never Let Me Go. I keep hearing that The Unconsoled is his masterpiece but I can never fins it in stores.

>Ishiguro
>never let me go
kek, thats like a tryhard western love story men

Kafka on the Shore is probably my favorite book, and the classical music does a very good job at setting the mood at some parts.

Ishiguro and Murakami have nothing in common except being Asian, which doesn't even matter since Ishiguro was raised in England his entire life.

>falling to an obvious bait
Come on guys, it's obvious that he's making a fun of Socratic dialogues. Stop being so salty.

I tried to read remains of the day. It didn't hold my interest and I did not finish it. That being said I think I'll return to it at some point as I did not dislike it. I read very slowly.

>Wide Sargasso Sea

fucking awful fanfiction. Written terribly

A lot of After Dark takes place at a jazz club.

Pic related: a superior Asian author.

Remains of the Day is (by far) his best. An absolutely brilliant and incredibly heartbreaking work. There isn't a single word out of place. Reading the book actually changed my life (and I don't say that about any books) - caused me to stop and reassess what I was doing and decide to change. Just an outstanding book.

His next best, IMO, is An Artist of the Floating World, which is tremendous, but subtler. The Unconsoled is good as well, in a different way. Never Let Me Go is OK, but not great. The Buried Giant and When We Were Orphans were both misses, I'm afraid.

>and I don't say that about any books

Meant to say I don't say that about *many* books.

Sputnik Sweetheart was fun as far as exploring how deep unrequited love can go; though the ending left a bit to be desired, some of the passages were legitimately breathtaking.

Kafka on the shore is very nice storytelling.

AUTISM RISING
U
T
I
S
M

R
I
S
I
N
G

Love the mood and the dialogues in Norwegian Wood. Really comfy read during rainy days

Never read the muh postcolonialism fanfic, but Jane Eyre was shit too.

kek you buttblasted despite being far more rude than the other user. End your life

She's alright. I read her short story "A Small Darkness" in Japanese and found eerie and weirdly beautiful.

Go get something meaningful and substantive to say you massive twat.

I banged her a few years back in Mexico, she's sexy in a classy way

Tell us more

I don't like how he always avoids proper endings in an attempt to be clever or whatever. It's fine if it only happened in like Sputnik Sweetheart, but it happens in almost all I've read of his. Fucking Japs can't into storytelling, and they certainly can't prose

Murakami is comfy to read, I like his books mostly for the feels. If you want depth there are many other writers to choose from. They aren't even all Japanese.

wrong.

Definitive Ishiguro Power Ranking:

>Canonical masterpiece tier
The Unconsoled - S

>Beloved classic tier
The Remains of the Day - A+
The Buried Giant - A+

>Delightful intro tier
Cellists - A
Crooner - B

>Flawed but touching tier
Never Let Me Go - B+
>Novel experimentation tier
A Pale View of Hills - B
>Traditionally proficient tier
Artist of the Floating World - B-

>Flawed experimentation tier
When We Were Orphans - C
Nocturne - C
Come Rain or Come Shine - C-
Malvern Hills - C-

>they certainly can't prose
oh my the irony
you're probably reading translations too, aren't you?

>Buried Giant same tier as Remains of the Day
>Never Let Me Go below Buried Giant

No.

that thing he wrote in norwegian wood about bear cubs tumbling was pretty cute desu. made me smile

No.

it's the definitive power ranking you idiot can't you read? you can't disagree with it

So no answer, cool.

I'm right and it's wrong.

See

>disagreeing with ishiguroposter

shiggydiggy

I'm Kazuo Ishiguro and the list is wrong.

>being kazuo ishiguro

ishygadt

1Q84 > * > shit > Kafka on the Shore

Hard-Boiled Wonderland is highly underrated sci-di but Norwegian Wood kind of sucks in retrospect.

DELETE THIS

(you)
(you)
(you)
(you)
(you)

This is the worst aspect of anything inherent to literature, art, cinema, etc. A certain group identifies themselves as the ones with the best tastes and thus they, almost mechanically, shut down anything popular or appreciated by groups broader than theirs.

Kafka on the Shore is a 400-page psychological puzzle. I read it in my mother tongue (Arabic) so I can't judge the original quality because there might be a variation of storytelling quality due to translation (I believe that books are better read in their original language, same applies to cinema).

He writes like a bitch, honestly, fuck that guy.

I think a Wild Sheep Chase is his best. magical realism usually shits me but he handles it very well. bizarre and funny without being 'xd le quirky'. The ending with the sheep man is amazing imo and I can't think of another author who could handle the transition from funny to scary to sad so well.

i've read most of his shit and his best passages have been about weird lonely people dealing with their weird lonely friends committing suicide. it's genuinely touching and captures the ambiguity and bizarreness of it perfectly, it's never maudlin or overplayed. in Sheep Chase it appears at the end of the novel as a climax where it works brilliantly. In Norwegian Wood, it appears at the start. it's still just as good a passage, but then the novel wastes it and wanders off into some maudlin jap soap-opera shit.