How do I not Fuck fried rice? I made some the other day and it was almost risotto...

How do I not Fuck fried rice? I made some the other day and it was almost risotto. I think it all started wrong from the white rice. It was kind of mushy. What rice should I use? I used Jasmin rice, I washed it before hand several times and followed instructions. Please help.

Other urls found in this thread:

thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-perfect-basmati-rice-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211157
seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/02/easy-vegetable-fried-rice-recipe.html
youtube.com/watch?v=whXNX
youtube.com/watch?v=whXNXUxZMTw
youtube.com/watch?v=vIQtpxbUsL0
youtube.com/watch?v=ygEPKuHRyL4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

use day old cold rice and fry it hard

boil it al dente and fry at 500 degrees until it's nice and crispy

>How do I not Fuck fried rice?
Jack off before you cook it

you just put your dick in something else :)

How do you get it slightly sticky like uk and Ireland Chinese takeaway?

Jasmine rice is fine, but you need to let it dry out a bit before you try to make fried rice with it.

Traditionally fried rice was made to use up leftover rice from the day before. That's why you see so many of the recipes call for "day old rice". If you don't want to do that then you can cook your jasmine rice normally, then spread it out on a tray and let most of the moisture evaporate before proceeding. If your rice was mushy then it was either overcooked or it was too wet--either will cause problems.

Another key detail about fried rice is that it comes out best when cooked on crazy high heat. A chinese restaurant uses a special wok stove that looks and sounds like a jet engine. It's many many times more powerful than the stove you have at home. That can make it tricky to get "restaurant quality" fried rice (or stir-fries) at home.

Use basmati rice. It absorbs liquid more slowly and also contains protein.

Use day old rice
Mix in a good layer of maggi seasoning, salt pepper garlic powder whatever spices and put it on a baking tray, cover in tinfoil bake at like 500. Finish it in the pan fried with green onions, egg, veggie, small bits of meat, etc

You cook rice, scrape it into a pan with diced stuff and seasonings, and fry it. Are you retarded?

Day old refrigerated rice.

just don't put your D in it
it's easy, man

U N E N R I C H E D

Like everyone else said, you're probably using freshly cooked rice. Don't do that. Cook it at least half a day beforehand, if not overnight/a day ahead, and let it sit and cool.

You might also be overcrowding the pan, not turning it up high enough, not using enough oil, etc.

Overcrowding leads to steaming or not enough of the rice getting fried since you might just be frying the bottom and not turning it over properly. Same with not turning it high enough. Restaurants use high, high heat home stoves can't replicate.

So if you're cooking a lot and don't have a very large pan, simply cook it in batches on very high to achieve the desired effect.

>How do you get it slightly sticky like uk and Ireland Chinese takeaway?

How do you get it slightly sticky like uk and Ireland Chinese takeaway?

Get a bong to cum in it before serving

1. Basmati rice
2. Boil properly
3. Throw in the wok as the last ingredient

Here's how I do it

>day old rice or microwave it until it's dehydrated
>cook egg first, just scramble and remove
>cook your meat, I usually cube up some cheap pork that I marinated in soy sauce and ginger
>get pan cranking hot with a lot of oil
>toss in chopped onion, and garlic but don't burn the garlic
>throw in rice and toss fast
>once you smell the rice starting to toast, hit it with soy sauce and mirin, but not enough where it's swimming, just enough where the rice changes to a brownish color
>throw eggs back in, toss
>put on plate

The trick is to do everything in batches and then when you add the rice make sure it's dry and use high heat with lots oil. You want to do everything quick. When you do it all together it just gets mushy or things get burnt depending on if you use too much or too little heat. I don't add veggies to mine personally.

good luck user, it's simple but comes out great when you do it this way.

You were on track until
>lots oil
>too much heat
which isn't correct at all. You want as much heat as possible. If you use good wok it won't stick. All you need is two or three tablespoon after it is nearly done for flavor.

>too much heat
I meant that people will keep the rice on the heat for too long because they didn't dry it out, I agree high heat is needed

>lots of oil
I do this because I don't have a wok and it keeps everything from sticking. If I had a wok and could toss and not have to worry about anything sticking than yea, very little oil, but it's kind of a neccesity when making fried rice in a frying pan.

>rice contains protein

This shitbox chinese restaurant used medium grained rice, it was awful and greasy as shit. SHORT grained right, day old.

Certain rice does, such as basmati as I stated. Try to keep up if you can, adults are talking.

OK, you dipshits need a good pot recipe for basmati rice. When you're making Sushi right you use 1 to 1.3 with basmati it's 2 to 3. Here..

thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-perfect-basmati-rice-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211157

Make that without resorting to tinfoil, and fluff. You'll be fine for good "Fried Rice" after you put it in the fridge overnight.

my friend swears by day old rice for fried rice. i regard her as one of the better cooks i know.

1. by not using too much water to cook the fucking rice.

2. by not overcrowding your wok or pan

>it was almost risotto

You probably threw in too much into your wok. Crowded wok results in steamed contents.

There's a good chance most of the fried rice you've ever eaten (and most restaurant rice in general) was made with parboiled rice.

It's not as tasty, but that won't really matter with all the oil and soy sauce and msg you're dumping in it.

I make it at work at a japanese restauraunt and though this works easily only with a nice wok flame.
-doesn't really matter if it's day old honestly, it cooks fine either way
-we use regular japanese style shortgrain rice and that's probably the best because of how sticky it is.
-crush the rice with whatever implement you have, it makes the consistency better and mashes the flavor in, and by crush I mean like break the rice don't just mix it
-a lot of fat/oil, we use the leftover liquid from making chashu, which is essentially just double cooked soy sauce with a lot of fat in it
-salt and pepper the fuck out of it
-as everyone says, as high heat as possible with lots of flipping

you used hot rice or wet rice

You must use cold rice, cold very cold, preferably a day old

First, make put light oil in pan, like vegetable oil or canola etc, none of that olive or thick shit.

Then, get it blazing hot, but don't burn the oil.
Usually, I put a grain or two of rice in the pan when I put in the oil. When the rice starts frying or sizzling, I wait one minute, it is ready now.

Next, scoop your rice in, make sure it fits in the pan and isn't too much.

wish it around a little and get that shit coated in the oil and fried, keep mixing it while it fries so it fries everywhere, do this for about 3-5 minutes. You won't notice a difference except that it's shinier.
Next, move the rice out of the middle to make a hole or circle. Put the veggies in there, sture them in that hole for a bit, then incorporate them into the rice by paddling the rice onto the veggies, then pulling them out from the center, puishinng more rice into the center, pull out etc until it's very incorporated. This should take about 3-4 minutes. don't burn your rice or veggies.
Lastly, if you want egg in it, you should have had your egg out before your started. It should be not very very cold. Room temperature is best, but don't heat it in any way, and don't leave it outside refridgerator for more than 15-20 minutes. I like to crack my egg in a seperate container and make sure it's not a bad egg and also whisk it in a separte container so that it's evenly yellow. Some other skip this step.

Take either the egg or the whisked egg and get ready. Make a hole or move away the rice from the center like you did the first time. Move it as far as you can, veggies included.) Now dump in there, scramble egg in that area to the doneness of the egg that you prefer, then incorporate. Mix everything for about 2 minutes, add soy sauce everywhere, wait 1 minute while mixning, turn off flame, mix more about 3 min. Serve. Flame should be almost high the entire way unless using wok. Wok high

you can get a wok plenty hot at home with induction

So much info I want to share

Some ideas and theories debunked.
seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/02/easy-vegetable-fried-rice-recipe.html

Fresh rice: watch how street vendors make it.
youtube.com/watch?v=whXNX
They all use fresh rice (Jasmine in Thailand).

I worked at a pretty decent Chinese place when I was a teen/20something and, yes, they did use leftover rice to make fried rice, but only because it was leftover rice that they wanted to use up. If they ran out of old cold rice, fresh was used.

I think the problem area is people over-cooking their rice, then letting it cool down (continue cooking (absorbing moisture)) before using it to make fried rice.

If you REALLY have a problem with over-cooking your rice and can't figure it out, try using instant rice. Uncle Ben's. It's pretty much fool proof.

One more thing, when I was still on the "leftover/cold rice" bandwagon I would rinse the cooked rice, breaking it up under water (came from the Chinese place I worked at) and then let it air dry for a long time. It gives the same effect as Uncle Ben's rice does (completely separated grains).

Sorry:
youtube.com/watch?v=whXNXUxZMTw

youtube.com/watch?v=vIQtpxbUsL0

youtube.com/watch?v=ygEPKuHRyL4

They all use fresh (hot (Jasmine)) rice as you can see, straight from the rice cooker to make fried rice, without issue.
Obviously this is in Thailand and not China, but I think the idea holds true. I've stopped using Jasmine and started using calrose, just for the moment. It works the same for me.

word

One more tip that no one is going to read (see ):
A saute pan is more than enough to replicate a wok, the trick is to not overload it.
Fry your egg -remove
Fry your vegetables (in sessions) -remove
Fry your rice -season
Add the egg and veg -toss.