Is there something more important than happiness?

Is there something more important than happiness?

Other urls found in this thread:

mrmoneymustache.com/2016/06/08/happiness-is-the-only-logical-pursuit/
youtu.be/dFTTn-Co5F8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

not according to reddit: mrmoneymustache.com/2016/06/08/happiness-is-the-only-logical-pursuit/

Ah.. the good ol' "consciousness is just your body +brain and there's nothing else. Pro-tip: scientists haven't been able to pinpoint what or where consciousness is. There might be more to the universe than we can sense with our five senses

Self-fulfillment? Which I guess is just long term happiness, but it depends on what you think of as being properly happy. Glimpses of it common, general state of mind rare, happiness as your life's lens, is maybe the goal.

Owlman from that justice league cartoon film had it right.
He was going to detonate a bomb at the right place in the original universe so that it would propagate and destroy the entire multiverse making nothing exist.
He said this was the only thing that could possible matter and everything else was inconsequential.
Ultimately he was stopped and in the end he realised that his failing didn't even matter either.

May as well be happy because it is easier on your body. I'd say health is more important though because then you can live longer to experience more and if life is all you get you should try to get the most of it you can.

>as long as science can't explain everything 100% let's believe magic is real in the meantime

Ok so everything that is currently unknown in science is "magic" in your eyes?

I'm saying there is more to the universe than what we can spot with our human machines. I believe there's a roof/limit to what we can find out with these little monkey brains. It's common sense if you think about it.

Exploring the universe so that you can be first to dip yr tiny penis into the sweltering vag of some bizarre alien species.

Nothing wrong with acknowledging the limits of knowledge, but using that as an excuse to just make shit up beyond those limits is unwarranted.

The sense-impression called happiness would only be proof of attainment of an important thing, and of the importance of the attained thing. It could not be the importance itself because happiness has no endurance of its own and without endurance of its own a thing is less important than something with endurance.
The assumption that you can observe a causal relationship between two things (matter and cognition) which don't have anything common in their essences is ridiculous. You would have to discover something in common with their essences. There is nothing to base that assumption on. A search for a cause of consciousness other than matter is equally valid. Not a christfag btw.

>essences

you're at least as bad as a christfag

All I mean is an indispensable property to a simple substance. Would a substance be itself without an indispensable property?

food

Substances are not themselves.

So there are no substances? What are there?

If people believe in the existence of the soul, then the most important thing has to be its cultivation, not happiness.

Eudaimonia bitches.

God, the Prophet of God, and the Qu'ran that was given to us by the Prophet of God

Submission to God

/thread

it would be foolish at old age to believe happiness is our endgame. an occasional byproduct, sure, but choose something a bit more objective: be a good father, support your family, be a testament to your friends.

i could destroy you right know

being well-dressed?

There isn't life is only a test of survival and worthyness.

Importance is only a construct of hope, something illusory.

So whatever your passion is or whatever it is you find enjoyment in you must do it and live it. It is your purpose so die with honor knowing you did what mattered most to you.

I could destroy you right know

I truly don't believe happiness exists. It's so idolized but never achieved. Contentment maybe. Exhilaration, jubilation? Happiness is like saying you want to feel perfection. But even if you achieved it, you wouldn't feel happy because you would likely just feel nothing

This is actually spooks: the thread.

happiness is humility, contentment and the deliverance and release of fear, hate, anger etc.

Enlightenment is the answer.

You must speak from a point of view of experience rather than observation

'Essence' in philosophy is a very commonplace term that means more along the lines of "fundamental characteristic" than "soul" or anything in that vein. It's like saying the essence of the hydrogen atom is that it has one proton.

My point: read more before you post.

>muh hedonism

Life is about more than your emotions, young user.

Not in my book.

BRAVE NEW WORLD

BEST NEW WORLD

HUXLEY 2020

Stranglely I completely agree with you. I hate we're bonding over Crisis on Infinite Earths but that monologue also made me think a bit too.

I'm also big on sci-fi and speculative fiction so I'm eager to see what the future brings, and agree with your point about health>happiness

>I truly don't believe happiness exists
I'm pretty happy right now, truly. Which is why i'm questioning the fact that I still browse this board sometimes.

having ppl to talk to and ppl that support you

no

any other answer is a reach

As am i. In fact the other day i turned to my boyfriend or if the blue and said i am very happy right now. But I'm not entirely sure is true. I feel content and calm. And it is nice and safe. But happy? I still am not convinced it is real. It isn't a bad thing.

to clarify, for yourself and others.

Three things matter primarily to human beings- maximizing pleasure, minimizing suffering, and continuing to exist.

"Pleasure" in this sense is defined generally to include everything that human beings strive for (affection, orgasm, pride in one's work), and suffering is defined generally to include those feelings that human beings may strive against (pain, confusion, sadness, etc).

None of these are "important" in a general sense, as there is no general sense in which anything can be anything. To human beings, there are only perspectives, and any "knowledge" gained amounts to intuition.

Money.

>Pro-tip: scientists haven't been able to pinpoint what or where consciousness is.

No, no, no, no, no, no, what the fuck are you doing, no. "Consciousness" will never be "pinpointed" because it's a vague suitcase term for a variety of different processes we already understand plus a variety of different faulty ideas that correspond to nothing in reality. You're a body compelled to say "I had an experience," and when nobody finds your "experience" you assume it's because you're made out of magic instead of the much simpler alternative explanation that there isn't anything more than a body being compelled to make mouth noises. Literally any "experience" you point to can be explained in terms of behavior, no matter how much you're compelled to argue that it was "real."

Something greater than the notion of happiness must serve as the fundamental motivation.

Sincerity

If scientists have determined that consciousness is the result of chemical and biological processes that create a stream of thoughts, emotions and memories, then why would it be a single point or location that needs to be be determined before you accept the scientist's observations?

>inb4 muh positivism

Awareness of our sensations (including happiness). That sweet spot between emotion and intellect.

Happiness is a great goal to have, especially if you differentiate it from sensual pleasure. As Blockhead Mill does.

Think of several men in a pub. They are good friends, but there could be a Leopold Bloom amongst them. When he laughs, his laughter and happiness rest upon something greather, he has something of the artists about him. He laughs and then becomes aware of his laughter, rather than merely laughing as a reaction.

Understanding is a great goal to have, especially if you differentiate it from happiness. As Jesus Christ does.

Think of several men in a pub. They are good friends, but there could be a Jesus Christ amongst them. When he laughs, his laughter and happiness rest upon something greather, he has something of the saint about him. He laughs and then becomes aware of being aware of his laughter, rather than merely laughing as a reaction or thinking about the reaction as a reaction.

Sweet warm soft pussy

>happiness
nope, nothing more important than that

Person you replied to, nice twist on my post. Christ is a great figure.

You realize that Sam is doing exactly what that girl is doing right?

Sam is the greatest figure of self-hatred that the internet has ever seen.

is that or being a wagecuck
huh
really makes you think

I'm a little confused user, have you just argued that conscious experience isn't real? What relevance does it's explainability in terms of behavior have?

You have it twisted. Consciousness -may- never be pinpointed precisely because it refers to some quality or qualities of experience that are unexplainable by means of those processes which we already understand.

Truth

In other words, yes

Yes. Making everyone else sad.

It's not that we can't determine how "consciousness" happens, but that we can't properly define what "consciousness" is. As long as we define it in one way or another, we can find the physical processes in our bodies that correspond to it.
>le experience
No, it's not a good definition.

You're talking out of your ass.

Being right

Just watch this, it explains the situation pretty well. If you're doing a good job explaining what you mean by "consciousness" or '"experience" then what you'll have are non-"conscious" / non-"experiencing" components that make up these alleged phenomena. And that's exactly what you get when you accept these alleged phenomena are actually just your brain cheating and giving you reporting behavior ("make this face, move your arms, and say these things about your ""pain"" ") rather than there being some magic cartesian theater where """experience""' happens. You'll say that's not really consciousness in the same way people say the magic tricks that really exist (i.e. the ones that depend on deceiving the audience) aren't "real magic," while the magic tricks that don't exist (i.e. the impossible feats you're tricked into accepting as real like a lady getting sawed in half and then effortlessly reconnected) are the "real magic."

youtu.be/dFTTn-Co5F8

becoming the Ubermensch is the ultimate goal

f.lux

>Life is about more than your emotions,

pfffffft