The most intelligent man on earth, Stephen hawking, recently stated humans have about 1000 years left on earth...

The most intelligent man on earth, Stephen hawking, recently stated humans have about 1000 years left on earth. Is it possible for us to colonize mars in 1000 years?

>most intelligent man on earth
>Stephen hawking
>not me
lmao

>not me

Even i, with an IQ of 150, am not equal to Stephen hawking.

I think our lifespan could probably be even shorter over there. Fewer resources, less "stuff" that sustains us, etc. You can't just make that up from thin air with science magix. They're either there or they're not.

These threads happen every time a celebrity says
>ai is evul
>we gonna die because X
>lel the planet is turning into venus!

Most intelligent people on earth tend to more discreet, imo they are people much much much smarter (being in very very great school)

We are probably gonna die one day

>Implying I'm not the most intelligent man on Veeky Forums and therefore the earth

True.

no I am
with a 150 you aren't even equal to Donald j trump

i know they're b8, you know they're b8, everyone knows they're b8. the question is why we respond making b8 threads popular and sliding interesting threads

even hawking can't predict that humans will eradicate themselves in about 100 years
t. David T. Goldstein (smartest human all over the world)

>even hawking can't predict that humans will eradicate themselves in about 100 years

I dare you to say that to his face. That's right, you wouldn't. Fucking brainlets.

I only skimmed over the title of an article about this a couple days ago so I don't know the details. Did he, in any remotely scientific way, substantiate this claim?

>Stephen Hawking
>1000 years left
>predicting the future

Into the trash it goes!

>not Witten

Kys user

Earth will never be as bad as Mars for millions of years

>thinking IQs are accurate in calculating intelligence in any way
Wew

1000 years sounds about right. It's not too long and not too short of a length of time for an extinction of our species.

it's probably less sweetheart :(

The only thing that'd cause the extinction of humans is some external cataclysmic, such as a big comet, GRB, mini-black hole, and similar.

The odds of that happening in the next thousand years are quite small.

There are lot's of other ways humans could become extinct.

The universe is very chaotic.

If we had two identical universes, and something as simple as the amount of times an user jerked of in 1 day changed, that could result in human extinction or even vacuum decay.

There's many ways, yes, but not realistic ways.

All humans could kill themselves tomorrow, for example. That's not going to happen in any realistic scenario.

That negative opinion is very probably ridiculous. But should be garnished as a physicist type's estimate of humanity's race with artificial intelligence in medicine.

this is another example of the media taking some guys opinion just because hes an intellectual and smart when in reality, there is no real reason to put a number on how long we will live and theres no data to make any kinds of predictions.

also an example of the media oversimplifying and taking things out of context, saying it's unrealistic for us to keep existing on this planet for more than a 1000 years is not the same as making a doomsday prediction. It's like leaving a five year old with matches alone in a house. He has the power to burn the house down and he's stupid enough to do it. Ergo the house is probably going to burn eventually.

Homo sapiens will live as long as our sun does, unless we get off this rock.

prove me wrong

what makes him that smart ?

>The most intelligent man on earth
>Stephen hawking

>ignoring Gott

Very likely that we have at least 1600 years left

Pic related, it's Hawking

Doomsday argument says that statistically we'll be fine for the next 10,000 years

Isn't IQ at least a good approximation of analytical skills?

There are so many unpredictable events that could influence the future of mankind that I don't see how one could make an even remotely accurate prediction about the end of our species.

>Only hope of survival is leaving the planet
We're going to die down here.

It's not really a prediction of anything specific happening. He only said that the chances of a cataclysmic species-ending event grow exponentially over this period.

Mass extinctions happen on Earth with a weird regularity. There's no reason to think that they simply will not happen while we're around, and we will continue to live on Earth indefinitely. Thinking this would be unrealistic.

I was hoping it would be at least until the oceans start to boil some billion years from now. I wonder if it's even physically possible for life to spread to an alien world, whose conditions would be almost certainly inhospitable to it, and no amount of time and preparation can alter this simple fact.

>“Once humans develop artificial intelligence, it will take off on its own and redesign itself at an ever-increasing rate,” Hawking warned in recent months. “Humans, who are limited by slow biological evolution, couldn't compete and would be superseded.”

I think this would be great and a solution to all the problems facing any sentient being, including artificial beings. We humans are a stupidly wasteful thing, and this fact is going to spell our doom regardless. If not now then at some point in the future. We'd do well to let go of our fear of death for the sake of efficiency and longevity. That is the best way for consciousness, as a thing in itself, to survive. Not space travel, certainly not in the short-term. We need to be less species-centric.

i want to know why hawkins came to his conclusion.

That's like an ape that's learned sign language asking Jacob barnett how he calculates 8 dimensional laplace transformations over tolopogically smooth spaces in his head

>muh killer AI
>muh super global warming

Hawking is a hack who should stop using his fame to give weight to crackpot predictions

Humanity could die tomorrow, or it could die in billions of years; it could even become immortal and a god.

There's nothing saying either of the extremes can happen with any certainty.

>it could even become immortal and a god.
>>>/scifi/

>hasn't realized everyone dies

>thinking immortality and gods are fiction

Unless there is a cosmic event of gigantic proportions (0.000001% chance) in the next thousand years, there is nothing that will end humanity.

Realistically, even total nuclear war will only wipe out about 10% of the human population (but probably 70% of its economy), and a super plague can't get into every nook and cranny of the populated world. Steven hawkings is a fag riding on his 20 year old discoveries to say dumb shit.

>hi im steven hawking, i have such a bloated self worth and opinion of myself that i think i can accurately predict the death of humanity with an infinite amount of possible variables because i live my entire life in a wheelchair and speak a robot voice

JUST

Yep

Other than an Earth-devastating event (which is external to Earth and its inhabitants), humans aren't going anywhere

>The most intelligent man on earth, Stephen hawking,
Many years ago he was a good theoretical physicist, period.
Now he's on old man talking freely out of his ass.
>recently stated humans have about 1000 years left on earth.
No proof whatsoever about that.
> Is it possible for us to colonize mars in 1000 years?
Pointless and probably unsustainable, it should be a lot better to colonize space itself using asteroid materials to build artificial environments.
But I think yes, actually a lot sooner than that.
If we're really going to do it it's another matter.
On Earth we already have things like the right amount of gravity, water, breathable air, protection from space radiations.
In space you have to work a lot to have those.

actually some other guys have made a good point, humans are different and a hell of alot more adaptable than the creatures that died in other mass extinctions. it would have to be massive.

Civilizations have risen and fallen because of climatic changes. Our population wasn't alwayd this large. If you want me to prove that not a single human will be left, obviously no one really can. But is this happening alone being virtually a guarantee not bad enough for you? An inevitable population and civilizational collapse isn't cause for concern?

Just because some bronze age civilisation collapsed doesn't mean that we're fucked.

Our exponential growth leaves us far less than that.

i think we have gone so far, a 3000 year old civilisation is massively different.

can you prove a given catastrophe will even destroy the majority of our populace? Really depends on the catastrophe, how massive it is and how quickly it develops. one thing is though that those kinds of catastrophes will definitely hit people unequally around the world.

no one can even give me a bloody reliable prediction on population growth since everyone seems to say a different fucking thing.

>most intelligent man on earth
>stephen hawking
kek'd and check'd

Even if that was true (and there is no evidence about it) it wouldn't lead to the human race extinction.
Whenever a population outgrows the resources a corrective effect happens, also called "dying from famine".
You don't even need to go that far in the past, it happened in Ireland in the 19th century.
A lot of people die, but not everyone. Balance is restored. No extinction.

IQ is not good aproximation of information you analyze.

Well, if Elon Musk is right; then we are all living in a simulation and none of this matters

fuck.elon.musk

I bet you wouldn't say that to his face pussy ass nigga.